TKN Task Force Meeting Notes: February 4, 2010 - SCOR/RAC

wheatauditorSoftware and s/w Development

Oct 30, 2013 (3 years and 8 months ago)

64 views

RAC TKN TF
MEETING
DRAFT
Notes

February 4
th
, 8:00 am


10:00 am PST

https://www1.gotomeeting.com/join/153084450

Conference Call: (360) 709
-
8060
, access code 1072626

Attendees
: Leni Oman
, Maggie
Sacco
, Colleen Bos (CTC), Kathy Szolomayer, Laura Wilt, Ron
Curb, Arlene Mathison, Dale Steele, Kendra Levine, Marie Manthe, Lynn Mathis, John Cherney,
Rita Evans, Roger Garren
, Amy Emrick

Schedule conflicts: Amanda Wilson, Barbara Post
, Frances Harrison

Quick Updates



Meeting note status



December notes not yet compiled.



Feedback on Economic Benefits paper


We
like it. Ron will provide a

copy without the
IBM quote that we can post and
use for
further copies. Members will send the number
of print copies

they need (and cannot produce themselves
)

to Leni by February 9
th
. Ron
will send a copy we can print and it will be posted on the TKN TF Website.




Climate Change
Clearinghouse



Roger

Garren



No new information
was
received

for
the website
.
Search func
tionality is being improved. Request that Regional TKNs
remind members of need to keep the clearinghouse fresh and to discuss any issues
related to updating this. Quarterly reminders from NTL is appreciated

by the Regional
TKNs
.




Feedback from Data Secti
on discussion


Kendra/Leni


P
ositive feedback
was received
from the Data Section on the

request for input on
commonly used data sources. Kendra
will prepare a survey to send to the section members.

RITA Administrator Peter Appel

was particularly interested. Reg Soulyrette, the new Chair of the Data Section,
continues to be supportive.
Kendra

will send invitation that was prepared for the Data
Section Meeting

to list and if you have comments on survey return to Kendra by Feb
12
t
h
.




20
-
75
Implementing Transportation Knowledge Networks

report
643 was
publi
shed
and
marketed at the TRB Annual Meeting




20
-
75
A

library directory status
-

The 20
-
75A team is working thru the comments on the
draft

and expects to submit the final in the n
ext couple of weeks.




Upcoming KM discussion



Anne
Pahnke and L
eni Oman are scheduling a meeting with
Neil Pedersen, Jack Stickle, Jeff Western, Tim Klein, Maureen Hammer, and Frances
Harrison to gather their recommendations on how to strategically move the awareness
and implementation of

knowledge management and know
ledge networking for.




Arlene has prepared a couple articles on TKNs. One in CTS Newsletter and the other in
TERRA Newsletter. Arlene will send links and we’re welcome to republish or customize.




Laura is sharing TKN information at Pacific Northwest Tran
sportation Conference next
week.





Tracking items

-


CUTC
––

Arlene and Rita
. Arlene spoke with Dawn Span
h
ake and she recommended that
TKNs/libraries should be added to summer CUTC meeting agenda (Texas in June).

Add to the
next call for update and how we can help.


International Information Sharing


Barbara was not available for the
meeting.



Discussion Items

Metadata/TRT discussion

1. Collaborative project: Develop (and maintain over time) a master list of transportation data set
types (e.g. household survey data, archived traffic data, crash data, etc.).


Select a single type
of data set and develop a Dublin Core application profile

(or encoding schemes for selected
elements within a DCAP) that could be plugged into
data.gov

to facilitate sharing.


Currently,
data.gov

is very light on transportati
on data.


Safety and traffic data sets might be good
candidates
-

ideally we want something that is not already easily accessible on the web, and
where there is a need/incentive to share.


Post meeting discussion:


consider selecting one of
the AASHTO perf
ormance framework topics: safety; preservation; congestion; system ops;
freight; environment.

Leni will ask Frances on next step and who’s the lead.

2.


Leni will also a
sk Andy Everett to write a white paper on the data issues associated with
cataloging d
ata sources.


Proposed survey and the PFS


Maggie Sacco

and Colleen Bos

This discussion started at the National TKN meeting with a question raised by Anne Pahnke:
who is the point of contact for information in your organization?
Here are potential quest
ions for
identifying a TKN contact:



1.





Who in your organization is responsible for capturing, organizing and delivering
information services? (Public Affairs, Library, Records Management, Other…)



2
.

Do you participate in information sharing n
etworks with other state DOTs? Do you
participate in other information sharing networks outside of state DOTs (i.e. UTC’s, other
academia, corporate networks, other state agency networks, informal information sharing?)



3
.





Do you have established
policies or legal requirements that guide the capturing,
preserving and sharing of information generated by your

department with internal or external
parties (such as other departments, other state agencies (i.e. state library system), the general
public o
r an academic researcher)? Is there an officially statutorily
-
mandated dissemination
policy for overall state government of your particular state?





4
.





What is the breadth of information captured and preserved (including data)? What
information is s
hared?


Does the information include databases, data sets, historically important
records and/or internal archival material?


Feedback: Mar
yanne

Ward’s NCHRP Synthesis 365 study on Institutional Memory
-

use

this to
identify the gap and to inform a next survey.
http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/nchrp/nchrp_syn_365.pdf


Discussion brought us to a different near term product. We wi
ll work with our member agencies
to conduct a synthesis about how agencies manage information. Washington and Wisconsin
will coordinate. The synthesis will help us know what we know and what we need to know.
Benefit of the survey will be knowing who. Se
nd any resources to Leni or John that you think
we need to know.


Planning for Research Problem Statements

-

Rita



Synthesis Program Ideas:


NCHRP submissions are due by February 12, 2010; TCRP
by March 31st.
http://trb.org/SynthesisPrograms/Public/SynthesisProgram.aspx





ACRP will soon announce solicitation for FY2011 Problem Statements.




TCRP problem statements

for its Fiscal Year 2011 program

will be due June 1
5th

(
solicits
problem statement
s
)



AASHTO quick response programs:


timelines are at the discretion of the AASHTO
c
ommittee with the funding. But most will be collecting and selecting research needs
over the summer.

No new synthesis proposals this year. After SCOR decision on the current proposals, revisit
research needs and feedback received at our April conference
call. Add the three problem
statement titles and links.


New business



The relationship of TKNs and Library committees

-

a draft document developed by Rita and
Kendra is going to be

shared. ….

Members should share any materials they have developed to
explain connections. This will serve


HOMEWORK UPDATE:

§


Ask RAC Leadership about interest in a webinar about the National Agriculture Library
and National Library of Medicine

(given by

representatives from their organization).


Amanda will think about this and propose a strategy.



1.

Would you call your Library

Network part of a Knowledge Network

2.


If yes, what is the biggest change for users

after
implementing the network?

3.


What's the return on investment?



a. What have you implemented and what has it cost?




b.


How are you tracking/measuring return?

4.


How many FTEs are involved in the administrative (not technical content)
development and management of your network?

5.


What's next for you?

6.


What advice would you give the transportation community as we strive to
develop our knowledge network?


§


Gap analysis of information outreach needs:

a)


compare what we have to our goals and
priorities


what’s missing; b)


consider what we need to reach out to the states and
transportation organizations
not

currently participating in the library/TKN/inform
ation sharing
communities .


ALL




SEND RAC LINK and Wiki link


Next Meeting:

Relationship of TKN/Library/Information groups