UK Neutrino Factory collaboration Executive Board UK Neutrino Factory collaboration Executive Board

sunglowcitrineUrban and Civil

Nov 15, 2013 (3 years and 8 months ago)

64 views


UK Neutrino Factory collaboration
Executive Board
UK Neutrino Factory collaboration
Executive Board
UKNF Executive Board meeting
1
8

Date:
26Aug
09
;
14
:
3
0
BST

Present:

P.

Harrison,
P. Kyberd,
K.

Long
,
C.

Prior
,

C. Rogers

Apologies:

R.

Edgecock,
S.

Griffiths,
W.

Lau,
A.

Letchford,

A.

Nichols,

J.

Pozimski
, P.

Soler

,R.

Seviour

Agenda

1. Introduction









KL

This meeting is first with contribution on one of the WP. Also, first to get a report from Outreach group.
We agreed that M.Ellis should be invited to join UKNF
-
EB to keep
all in the loop of the Outreach Group’s
work.

2. UKNF Specific WP1: status, plans, issues




C.Rogers

See CR slides

(linked to UKNF
-
EB WWW page). Principle issues raised in talk and discussion:



Need to coordinate more closely with the ISIS u/g working
group. Propose that we do this by
cross invitation for the moment;



Short on manpower on a number of topics. In particular need to work towards finding some
en
gineering effort from around April next year;



In the discussion, CP noted that C.Warsop (ISI
S) has expertise on collimation which might be
valuable in the design of the storage ring.

CR presented the milestones as defined for UKNF and EUROnu. Generally progress is good, but some
were noted to be unrealistic by CP. Need to go through the milesto
nes and revise where necessary.

3
.
Notes
of last meeting and actions arising


Notes were accepted.

4.
Spend to date, m
ilestones
,

and earned value



Spend to end
June
:
here



MICE:

o

Pressure on spend. Headline is that 50% of allocation has been spent four months into
the year. Action clearly needs to be t
aken.

o

C&S paper
being prepared, needs to be delivered to STFC in a week or so;

o

Budget holds (by FRS code) are re
-
evaluating required spend to end of year. Will then
re
-
set allocations by budget code. Deadline for this (self imposed) is 04Sep09;

Meeting
Note
Initials
Action
Target date
Status
05-Sep-08
3.1
KL
Review UKNF mailing list subscribers
15-Sep-08
Stands
8.6
AN
Circulate accepted practice at RAL for claims
15-Sep-08
Done
15-Jun-09
9.2
KL
Contact C.Rogers re plenary in Spring 2010
ASAP
Done

2



UKNF:

o

Hea
dline is spend is on track. Know issue of slightly high staff spend in target w/p
believed to be possible to accommodate.

5
. Preparation
of response to STFC consultation

Unable to complete draft submission before the meeting. Will send draft by weekend.

6
.
Outreach committee








M.Ellis

C
.
R
ogers report

in place of M
.
E
llis who is MOM at the moment
:



D
.
F
aircloth and
C
.
R
ogers prepared and s
ubmitted
an
application to
the
RS
for a stand at the
2010
summer exhibition
;



Outreach group will consider making a tab
le
-
top model of MICE? PK commented that p
erhaps
Brune
l student could make the design;



PK

asked whether O
utreach group thought about
B
ig
B
ang
F
air
in Manchester. Also, need to
consider s
eminars

to our peers
, New Sci
photo competitions etc.



KL to
discuss w
ith
M
.

Ellis to see how new initiatives can be carried out.

Action 6.1: KL: Discuss Outreach Group with ME

7
. Next UKNF plenary meeting
s



Proposal: Imperial
, 07
-
08Jan10



RAL early summer
: 15/16Jun10

KL will advertise these two plenary meetings. To keep communication, we agreed to advertise
w/g
meetings to full mailing list.

Action 7.1: KL: Advertise the next two plenary meetings


8
. Next
UKNF
-
EB
meetings



Agreed:
fourth Wednesday of each month

o

Next meeting:
23Sep
09; 14:30 BST

9
. AoB



KL has received
official feedback

from OsC while on vacation. A response will be drafted asap;



KL, RE, JP, met with C.Densham to discuss target work in UK in the context of UKNF, EUROnu,
and IDS
-
NF. Clearly too lit
tle resource to do what we want, we agreed to try and put together an
engineering consortium to prepare a proposal for EPSRC or elsewhere. In addition, it was
agreed that G.

Skoro would try and take forward T.

Davenne’s work on the liquid
-
mercury beam
dum
p.



Preparation for
DevDet2

are about to begin. KL asked by NMcC to coordinate, at least in the
initial phase. Not sure how to proceed but will try and get people together shortly;



MICE

muon beam pretty much re
-
established. Conventional magnets and dec
ay solenoid all
commissioned. Target installed. Some issues commissioning offline target.



Next
UKNBF
-
EB will ask A.Letchford to arrange a presentation on
FETS
.


3

Summary of actions:


Meeting
Note
Initials
Action
Target date
05-Sep-08
3.1
KL
Review UKNF mailing list subscribers
15-Sep-08
26-Aug-09
6.1
KL
Discuss Outreach Group with ME
ASAP
7.1
KL
Advertise the next two plenary meetings
ASAP