Study Away Pre-Departure Handbook Fall 2010

receipttrogleSoftware and s/w Development

Oct 29, 2013 (5 years and 5 months ago)



Study Away



Fall 2010

Office of International Programs

66 Vernon Street

Hartford, CT 06106




You are about to begin an exciting period of your life
in which you can expect to learn many things

academically and personally. You will learn
about yourself, your host city & country, and the
world. You will also face challenges.
Studying away
requires initiative, maturity, r
esponsibility and
abroad, in particular,
requires tolerance and a willingness to adjust to living
and learning conditions very different from and often much less comfortable than those on the
Trinity Campus. The good news is that most students report that their
study away experience is one
of the best experiences they have in college.


contains information
designed to help prepare you for a successful study away
. Of course, it will n
ot prepare you for everything.
This is intended as a
supplement to
the orientation you will receive when you arrive at your program site

and to the program materials
you will receive before you depart and upon arrival. Please take this handbook with you; it has
important information for all Trinity students
studying away.

Emergency Contacts:

Make certain
that you and
your family have all

numbers provided to you by your program
before you leave the United States,
including a 24/7 emergency number,
as well as the important
phone numbers listed below for

Trinity College

Important Trinity College Contacts

Office of International Programs, (OIP) (860) 297

Trinity College Registrar’s Office, (Study Abroad Contact, Linda Gilbert), (860) 297


Trinity College Student Accounts, (860) 297

al Aid Office, (Study Abroad Contact,
Jacqueline Outlaw)
(860) 297

Office for Residential Life, (Contact, Susan Salisbury), (860) 297

Dean of Students Office, (860) 297

Counseling Center,
(860) 297

Health Center,
(860) 297

Emergency Number for Trinity College and OIP (after hours), (860) 297
2222 (Campus Safety)


sure that you have the contact numbers for your program on
site staff on you as you arrive
(including an emergency number). Also, be sure that you have your local

address / contact details
and that of your program space or host university, as applicable.

In case of an emergency, a
s a student on a study a

program, you should first contact your
Site Director

or the on
site emergency staff member(s) for your pr
. Your on
site staff should
provide you with these numbers and other important emergency information

In the event

that you
must respond on your own

in a critical situation
, it is very important that you have local emergency
numbers for hospital
, pol
, etc. with you, as well as the number for
the U.S. embassy

and the
emergency number

for your on
site staff.


Please do notify the OIP and Trinity of any on
going concerns and ensure that any emergency
situations are reported to us.


Students studying away have many questions about academics, necessary arrangements, policies &
procedures, and other matters.
If you are unsure about somet
hing: ASK!

All students who are approved by Trinity to study away are considered to be
studying away for one
of their approved programs and for their approved study away term(s)

unless they complete a
Study Away Withdrawal Form.
This means that if

you were approved for the Full Year, Trinity will
expect you to be away for the full
year and
you will not be allocated on
campus housing for spring.

Students studying away on all programs except Rome and the
Trinity programs in Barcelona, Paris,
Buenos Aires, Trinidad, Vienna, and Cape Town


submit a copy of their acceptance letter to
their chosen program(s) to confirm their participation in study away. Students studying on
the above
Trinity programs will receive acceptance paperwork that they need to complete to finalize their

Not sure if you are confirmed? Ask us!

Students sho
uld attend all

program meetings or pre
departure orientations, read all program materials
& complete any on
line orientation, as applicable. Note that students are required to have


that will remain valid for six months beyond the end date of their programs / return
to the US. If you don’t have one, you will need to apply for a new passport through expedited
service; go to

for detailed guidelines.

Students also are responsible for applying for any student visas or study permits that may be required
by the host country/countries. Because visa application requirements are time
consuming and the
process can be

unpredictable, students should apply for your visa


the deadlines

on the appropriate consulate website. Also, please purchase your round
trip tickets (you need round
trip tickets

not one
way) well in advance of your departure.

Students studying on Trinity
administered programs will receive
and pre
departure information from the OIP.

Students studying on affiliate programs will generally receive these materials from their
program provider, but they m
ay receive some information from the OIP.

Students studying on non
Trinity programs will receive
orientation and pre
departure information from their program providers. It is very important to read through all
information you are provided

and to submit all required paperwork

by the indicated

Students will receive regular e
mails before, during and after their study away term sent to their
Trinity e
mail addresses from Trinity concerning housing, course registration, etc.
ts must
read all messages

carefully to ensure that they do not miss important information related to study


Academic Advising

It is essential that you
discuss your study away plans and academic program with

your academic
advisor(s) before leaving.

Faculty in your major or intended major can advise you on any specific
requirements or limits on the amount of major credit that may be earned while away. This is very
important, as departments have different policies regarding transfer credit and what c
an and cannot
be counted towards the major. This
can help you decide what courses would be best for
you to take both while you study away and help you plan out your remaining classes at Trinity.

Bring with you the name and contact information (
mail address, etc.) for your advisor and the
department or program chair for each major or minor. Know what your time abroad will mean to
your graduation and major/minor requirements before you go. If you have not yet declared a major,
please do so as s
oon as possible AND before you study away.

Another type of faculty advising is more program specific advising. Many faculty members at
Trinity have stro
ng knowledge of Trinity and Trinity
approved programs abroad and can serve as
additional resources for
you. The names of professors who are particularly knowledgeable about
specific programs are available from the OIP.


Make sure that you do not have any incompletes before you leave campus and
check your grades to ensure that you remain in good ac
ademic standing at the end of this
semester. Remember, students must remain in good academic (no academic probation!) and
social standing to remain eligible to participate in study away. Students must also be math
proficient, which means that you must have

passed the Quantitative Literacy requirements.

If you have doubts that you have met or will meet any of these requirements before studying
away, please contact the OIP immediately.

Registration Prior to Departure:

You do not need to register for classes a
t Trinity during the semester you are studying away. If you
are studying away on a Trinity program, you will be registered by Trinity for any / all Trinity
courses you are taking

by Trinity, but this may take a bit of time
. Host university courses y
ou are
taking will not appear on your Trinity record until after you return. Do not be concerned about this

this is perfectly normal.

Students studying away on non
Trinity programs will not be registered for their actual classes until
they return
; don’t


this is normal
Trinity faculty and staff do know you are studying away

Applying for Transfer Credit:

In order to receive transfer credit for non
Trinity classes taken while studying away and
for the Registrar’s Office to be able to pro
perly post credits and grades, students must
complete an
Application for Transfer Credit

sometimes called the
blue form) and submit it to
the Registrar's Office.

This form is required for all students studying away, except those
studying at the Rome Campu
s, on the PRESCHO program, and students studying at the Paris
Global Site who are not taking a course at the Institut Catholique.


The form must be done to the best of your ability (and signed by your academic advisor), before
you leave campus, preferably

November 15 for study away during the

semester and May
1 for fall semester or full
year study.

Remember: As

soon as possible after making a definite decision on a particular program, students
should confer with their faculty advisor and department chairperson about
classes to take abroad. It

may be helpful to have alternate courses approved before you go away j
ust in case there are changes
in course offerings or scheduling conflicts. Thus, it is highly recommended that you select two or
three alternate courses on your initial Application for Transfer Credit.

Many students will need to resubmit the Application
for Transfer Credit or make corrections to it
after they finalize their course schedule abroad. This is not a problem. However, you are required to
submit a preliminary Application for Transfer Credit (completed to the best of your ability) by the
s indicated above. For a link to this form and more details about transfer credit procedures
and requirements, go to

More About Transfer Credit:

When selecting

classes for your semester or year away, please note that the Trinity College faculty
rules for transfer credit stipulate that the

. This means that, while away, you
may not take a course that duplicates a course taken at Trinity. You may also
ive transfer
credit for
liberal arts courses
, i.e. the type of courses offered at Trinity (not vocational, medical,
legal, business, or professional). Please see the
Student Handbook

for more details. Courses that do
not meet this requirement will not be approved for transfer credit. Also, while stu
dying away, you
must be enrolled as a full
time student (a minimum of 4.0 credit hours or the equivalent

and a
maximum of 5.75

One approved course graded Pass/Fail per study away program is acceptable for transfer if the final
grade is
to be a C

or higher. (You cannot receive just a Pass

the Registrar’s Office
requires that your program document your grade as being equivalent to at least a C
). Note that
pass/fail courses can only be elective courses and there is a maximum of 4 courses that Tr
students can take on a pass/fail basis.

Receiving a Pass/Fail grade is not possible at many foreign
universities and is limited to one elective class only, so please do not assume you can take a class
Pass/Fail without checking with your On
Site Staf
f, the OIP, and the Trinity Registrar’s Office.
Students who choose to take one class Pass/Fail must notify the OIP and the Registrar’s Office of
this decision within one week of their registration on
site for classes.

You must submit the completed and signed
Application for Transfer Credit

along with course
descriptions to the Registrar's Office
before you leave campus
. The Registrar's Office will notify
you that your courses are acceptable for transfer credit or ask yo
u for additional information
needed to process your application. Be sure to fill out the form

according to the
instructions. If you submit this form to the Office of the Registrar without course descriptions or a
faculty advisor's signature, th
e Registrar's Office will return the form to you and delay approval of
your courses.

Once your
Application for Transfer Credit

has been reviewed by the Registrar's Office, both you
and your department chairperson will be sent a photocopy indicating the cre
dit you will receive for


successful completion of your courses away. As indicated above, if necessary, you may amend this
form while away; many students have to do this, as they either do not know all of the courses they
will take abroad or change their c
ourses when they arrive. Remember, though, that you do not have
assurance of transfer credit until you have received your photocopy of your final form from the
Registrar's Office. Contact the Registrar’s Office if you have questions about this.

Grades ear
ned on non
programs will
be calculated into your


grade point average, but these grades, along with the courses that transfer back to Trinity, will
appear on your Trinity transcript.
In addition, future employers, professional schools, and graduate
schools will generally require
a transcript from your program, so you will have a permanent record
of your grades.
All courses taken on non
Trinity programs are taken for transfer credit.

LL g
rades earned at Trinity
administered programs

calculate into your cumulative
grade point average.

The Trinity
administered programs include
the Trinity Programs in
Barcelona, Cape Town, Buenos Aires, Trinidad, Paris, Vienna,

and the Rome Campus.
This policy
is also applicable for PRESHCO

and the La MaMa Program
Students who attend the Rome
Campus, Trinity
Paris (
except for ICP classes
), La MaMa, or PRESHCO will earn all Trinity

Students who study at the other Trinity

will ear
n a combination of Trinity credits
and transfer credits
; remember that all grades will calculate into the GPA
However the Application
for Transfer Credit needs to be completed for all non
Trinity courses.
Transfer credits are earned for
all classes taken
by faculty not employed by Trinity; this includes classes taken
at other colleges,
universities, or institutions. Trinity grades are earned for classes taught by on
site faculty hired by
Trinity that are offered to the students on the program.

If you have
a question about this, please check with the OIP!!

Transfer of Credit Toward Major or Minor Requirements:

It is the responsibility of the Trinity student to
find out

which courses are approved for major,
minor, general distribution, or elective credit. Ea
ch department and program sets its own rules for
credit transfer toward the major
, including how many classes can be transferred in for the major and
what type
. You should talk directly with your department chairperson, program director, or
academic advis
or to ascertain the rules appropriate to that discipline. In order to avoid difficulties in
receiving credit towards your major, keep copies of your written work, the course syllabus, a
complete reading list
, and other course materials

for any course for w
hich you hope to receive major
credit. Remember that only credits for liberal arts courses (no business) are eligible for transfer

Transfer of Credit and Distribution Requirements

Up to two of the General Education Distribution Requirements may be

fulfilled with courses taken
away from Trinity. Read the section entitled "Distribution Courses" in the Trinity College Bulletin
to determine whether any of the courses you plan to take while studying away will satisfy parts of
this requirement. The Regis
trar's Office will decide whether a course fulfills a distribution
requirement; contact them if you have questions about a particular course. In order to request credit
towards these requirements while studying away, complete the appropriate section of the

Application for Transfer Credit. Please Note: Internships taken while on study away count toward
the oversubscription rule of 3.00 credits for internships (see the
Student Handbook


Be sure that you keep the syllabi and work for all classes
taken while studying
abroad. Also, be sure that you have completed an updated Application for Transfer Credit, if
necessary, ensure that it is submitted to the Registrar’s Office if you plan to transfer credits
from your study away program back to Trinity.

students will be registering for the following semester back in the U.S. while still abroad.
You should plan a tentative schedule before leaving the U.S. and make certain you

how to
register online.

You will be sent information on how and wh
en to register from the Registrar’s
Office while you are away.

Planning Ahead

Academic Concerns

Before you study away, consider meeting with the appropriate faculty or staff member to talk about
graduate school or your career goals. The
College Handbook

provides a list of the members
of various Advisory Committees for several professional school disciplines. Consider how study
away might complement your career or graduate school plans. Study away can result in valuable
academic and
personal experiences to offer a prospective graduate school or potential employer.
Students who participate in study away during their undergraduate years go on to a variety of
professions, graduate schools, and professional schools.

For any graduate schoo
l and other exams, e.g. LSAT, GRE, and MCAT, if you will be registering
for any exams while you are away, be sure to take all needed information with you abroad. Some
graduate school exams (Foreign Service, LSAT, GRE, etc.) can be taken
Check wh
ere and
when before leaving the States.

Similarly, if you are planning to do an internship or a summer
program, think about this before you go.

If you are planning to do a senior thesis, you will also want to think about this as you plan to study
away. M
any students have done senior theses related to studies they pursued while abroad.

Update Addresses

Ensure that you have updated your address with the College and made plans for your mail to be
, as appropriate
. Ensure that you have made plans

with your family or friends to pay any
bills that you may regularly receive.

Planning for Housing:

For students studying away during the

who normally live on Campus, please note that
the Office of Campus Life knows that you will be studyin
g away and will not have housing for you
in fall (or for the full year) on campus, but will have housing for you the semester you are returning,
providing that you have indicated your wish to live on campus the semester you come back.

If you have
any questions regarding housing on campus,
please feel free to contact
Salisbury at
the Office of Campus Life/Residential Services at

Costs and Financial Aid

The cost o
f study away (excluding round trip transportation to your host country and personal
spending money) is normally comparable with the cost of Trinity. Note that charges may be higher
for certain programs, and in some cases room and board charges may be highe
r than at Trinity.


Also, students who plan
travel extensively or spend a lot on entertainment
find that
dditional funds are necessary.
Students who spend more than the estimated amount for personal
expenses at Trinity

also spend more while studying away.

Students who receive financial aid are able to use th

aid for a study away program
approved by Trinity College
It is important that you make an appointment with
Outlaw in
the Office of Financial Aid in

order to determine how your aid will be calculated for your
chosen program.

For domestic study not on the approved programs list, Trinity College financial aid will not be


study away programs offer financial aid (scholarships or grants)

to applicants who have
demonstrated financial need and have submitted an application. These financial aid packages may
be available regardless of whether you are presently receiving financial aid from Trinity College.

If you have questions about financi
al aid for study away (including loans), please contact
Jacqueline Outlaw, Associate Director, in the Office of Financial Aid.

A Study Away Fee is charged by the College whenever a student attends an approved, non
Trinity study away program. This fee,
currently $3,000 for one semester or $3,500 for a full
year, is charged through the regular College billing process.

This is a College fee (not an
International Programs fee) that is used to cover costs associated with study away; most colleges
either char
ge a study away fee or charge their home school fees for ALL study away programs. The
fee covers the services provided to students attending non
Trinity program by the OIP, Office of
Campus Life, Business Office, Students Accounts’ Office, the Registrar’s
Office, Office of
Financial Aid, and academic departments. Students must pay this fee before their transfer credits
from their program will be processed and before they will be able to register for classes at Trinity
for the following semester. The fee is
not charged for summer programs.

Because students on Trinity
sponsored programs pay tuition directly to Trinity College, this fee is
not charged to students studying at the Trinity Rome Campus and the Trinity
Programs in
Barcelona, Cape Town, Paris, Buenos

, Trinidad, and Vienna. The fee is also not charged to
students participating in Trinity affiliate programs, including Curtin University in Australia;
Denmark’s International Study Program (DIS);
the School for Field Studies Programs; CES in
ht, the Netherlands;
NYU in Ghana, London, and Shanghai;
IES in Shanghai;
in Cordoba, Spain; Duke in Istanbul, Turkey; University of East Anglia, England; Moscow Study
Abroad at the Russian Language Institute, Russia; Baden Württemberg Exchange in
Trinity La MaMa,
and the 12 College Exchange (U.S.).

Additional Financial Aid Resources for Studying Abroad:

International Education Financial Aid (IEFA)

This is a scholarship search specifically for students
who want to study abroad.

U.S. Department of Education

Information on receiving financial aid through the U.S. Department
of Education.

ternational Student

A free scholarship search, specifically for students wishing to study abroad.


Study Abroad Financial Aid

A listing of se
veral sources and suggestions for receiving financial
aid for studying abroad.

International Education Finance Corporation

One of the top providers in financial aid for the
growing number of students who wish to study abroad.

Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarships

This pr
ogram provides students with limited
financial means, scholarship opportunities to study abroad.

Billing Issues:

Students studying on Trinity programs
will be charged

Trinity Comprehensive Fee

the usual date
. In some cases, this fee may be reduced to compensate for non

and may be adjusted to reflect different costs of housing, etc
This fee includes a
mandatory insurance policy.

Students studying on non
Trinity programs will pay their program providers directly.
Students studying on non
affiliate programs will be billed a Study Away fee of $3000 for
one semester or $3500 for two semesters. The Study Away fee for non
Trinity progr
ams will
be billed to your Trinity account and payment is due by regular published due dates for term.
If you are studying on a program that does not offer insurance, you are entitled to receive
study abroad insurance from Trinity as part of your Study Awa
y Fee. Students not paying
the fee will need to pay for the insurance ($250 per semester.)

Payment of financial aid (and/or loan) funds that are on account at Trinity College to be paid
to non
Trinity programs will be processed upon receipt of an invoice

from the program and
confirmation of student’s enrollment in that program.

It is the student’s responsibility to
notify non
Trinity programs of their expected financial aid funds.

Please contact the
Financial Aid office (Jackie Outlaw) for questions on


Refunds due
students who withdraw or leave a program early
vary by program and by the reason
for withdrawal.
You and your parents should know what the program refund policies are in case of
an emergency situation. You should know
when, if, and under what conditions you would be
eligible for any kind of refund
. Most programs charge students a non
refundable deposit and any
expenses incurred on their behalf. Some may have additional fees.

Students who are expelled from a program fo
r any reason should not expect to receive any refund of
monies paid to their program provider.


Students who withdraw from study away MUST complete a Withdrawal Form from the OIP
in addition to withdrawing from the program. Housing will most likely

NOT be available on
campus for students withdrawing from study away so late

and students will be accessed a $500
withdrawal fee




We want to emphasize that the program in which you will be participating is, first and foremost, a
serious academic enterprise.
The expectations for your academic work on the part of the
faculty are high
, and they and we assume you are going abroad intend
ing to study. This, however,
does not preclude the possibility for travel and cultural tourism activities on weekends.

Differences in Academic Systems:


students will find

in most cases

that the academic system they encounter is very different
m that at their small
, li
beral arts college

especially if their program has a direct enrollment
component at a foreign university

the demands made on the student
may seem

less strenuous
than those at
, this is more a reflection of a
different approach to education than it is an
indication of a poor institution. It would be inappropriate to infer that, because the approach is
different and may seem less demanding, it is inferior. Your challenge is to figure out how to meet
your academi
c and personal goals within this very different system.

Among the most frequently heard complaints by students returning from a semester or year abroad
are that courses were not as "demanding" or as "organized" as at

From time to time, you may a
lso feel that there is some truth to these statements. Certainly there is
the possibility for stronger or weaker course offerings on any program, just as there is on your home
campus. But beyond the question of individual courses, you will find significant

differences in the
requirements, expectations, attitudes, and teaching styles of education. If you are able to adjust to
and appreciate these differences, you will be well on your way toward a unique and rewarding time
abroad. If not, you may be continual
ly frustrated and disappointed. We would like to provide you
with a few tips about what to expect when you arrive abroad.

In many colleges and universities around the world, courses tend to be offered on a full
year basis
only. Most countries require at l
east one year more of secondary education than U.S. colleges do
before entry to the university, and it is assumed that first
year students have done their liberal arts
study at the high school level. Consequently, students often begin their specialization,

or "major" in
the first year. The process that begins here depends very little upon the demonstration of
competence in a particular course, but is aimed at what the student knows. In some countries, there
are ordinarily no course examinations at all. Cons
equently, unless your instructors frequently have
American students in their classes, or have some experience teaching or studying in the U.S., they
may find your natural concern for how well you're doing, or whether you'll get an A, to be rather

ide the classroom it will be an entirely different world from what most U.S. students are used to.
Faculty may not be "accountable" in the same way that U.S. instructors are. It is assumed that the
student is aware of what is to be covered in the course, a
nd that it is his or her responsibility to
identify the appropriate readings or resource materials, to select the relevant sections to be read, and
to become knowledgeable on the subject. The professor may or may not speak directly to the
subject in his or

her lectures.

As you may imagine from the above, the concept of a syllabus is not the same around the world as it
is in the U.S. Although an instructor may mention or recommend certain texts during a lecture, you


might not be given specific reading assig
nments. If you are taking a course on Proust, your
assignment will be to read what Proust wrote, to read what was written about Proust, and to think
about both.
Your coursework will more closely resemble the type of study undertaken by an
American graduate

student, with a great deal more independent responsibility than you are probably
used to here

In many ways, this makes study at a foreign university excellent preparation for
graduate school.

Another major difference in the classroom is that, whereas ma
ny American colleges combine the
lecture and discussion format in each class, universities in other countries often separate them. In a
lecture class, the professor has the floor for the entire time and does not expect to be interrupted.
Even seminars may
be structured so as to discourage open discussion, even though students are
giving presentations.

If all of this sounds a bit intimidating to you, your initial impression of the foreign university life
may be quite the opposite. Many students report that
there seems to be a lack of "academic
pressure" in their courses, or that little seems to be expected of them. This is reinforced also by the
rate of student absenteeism that may be higher than at U.S. colleges. All of this is understandable
when placed in

the context of the educational system as described above, but it can also be very
deceptive, since it doesn't take into account what the student may be doing outside the class.

The message, then, is to try to be aware of these differences from the very b
eginning, and also to
realize that your ultimate goals will be different from those of your counterparts.
It is a good idea to
talk to

students who have studied in

your host country before

preferably those who have spent an
entire year abroad.
Whereas th
ey may be looking more toward long
term goals and are, therefore,
less concerned about performance in a particular course, you may well have to work harder, and
certainly more independently than you are used to, in order to achieve the results you desire.

The sooner you can make the adjustment to a "local consciousness," the happier and more
productive your time will be.

Registering for Classes at Trinity

All students studying away will receive
information from the Registrar’s Office to assist
hem in registering for classes for the next semester. For specific details on the Advance
Registration process, please navigate to, then
Advance Registration and TCOnline Instructions
TCOnline Regi
stration Worksheet
, or
Advising Week and Advance Registration Appointments. Please review this information very
carefully and print a copy for your reference.

Your Advance Registration appointment can be found by navigating to TCOnline
(, Academics, View Enrollment Appointment.

To view the Schedule of Classes, please use TCOnline’s course search function, or navigate to

It is very important that you communicate with your advisor during Advising Week. Please make
arrangements to e
mail or speak wit
h your advisor to discuss your academic plans for
the next
Your advisor must release your registration hold before you can sign up for classes.


Be sure to obtain a PIN from each instructor whose class requires permission to enroll. We will
ept an e
mail from any instructor from whom you would normally request a course override
form. You may sign up for any course requiring a special registration form once you return to

If you are unable to access TCOnline to register, you may subm
it your proposed schedule to your
advisor via e
mail or regular mail. Ask your advisor to remove your registration hold and to
forward the information
to the Registrar’s Office,
indicating that your
proposed courses have been approved.
The Registrar’s Office

will then register you in any classes
that are open or do not require special permission. Any course overrides or special permissions can

be handled in the same way (
have the professor send the Registrar’s Office

an e
mail from the
instructor granting permission).

Your Study Away Transcript

Please be sure that you have requested that your transcript be sent back to Trinity

if you are
studying away on a Trinity
program, your transcript will go to the Office of International Programs.
If you are studying away on a non
Trinity program, your transcript must be sent to the Registrar’s
Office, to the attention of Associate Registrar, Linda Gilbert. The address is:

istrar’s Office

Trinity College

Trinity Commons

300 Summit Street

Hartford, CT 06106



Try to arrange for a physical check
up, eye examination and for dental work to be done before you

Remember to carry copies of your insurance card and a list of any allergies you may have.


Beginning in Fall 2010, ALL students
going on the following Trinity programs ABROAD: Rome,
Barcelona, Paris, Trinidad, Vienna,
Buenos Aires
PRESHCO, and Cape Town will receive study
abroad insurance through HTH Worldwide Insurance. The costs for this will be included in the
Comprehensive Fee
that is paid to Trinity.

Students studying on
Trinity programs abroad will be provided with HTH
Worldwide Health Insurance as part of their study away fee
if they are studying on a program or
through study abroad programs (who are not
charged the study away fee) who do not have
comparable coverage through their program(s)

Students studying on affiliate programs who are exempt from the Study Away Fee who do not have
comparable health insurance through their program will be enrolled thr

HTH Worldwide
, but will
be billed for the insurance ($250 per semester).

Arcadia, the School for Field Studies, Butler/IFSA, CIEE, SIT, DIS, IES, and INSTEP all
include study abroad insurance in their program fees. If you are on a differen
t program, it is


your responsibility to check to see if you have this coverage and to notify the OIP if you need
us to enroll you in HTW Worldwide Insurance.

If you are studying through Butler/IFSA, CIEE, School for Field Studies, DIS, SIT, IES, or
INSTEP and would prefer to have the HTH Insurance (ARCADIA AND NYU ALSO USE HTH
ITY PROGRAMS), we are happy to enroll you in this
insurance, but you will be charged the $250 fee per semester.

Check out your policy and review the benefits with your parents

then decide if you would like
HTH Worldwide Insurance.

To find out more abo
ut HTH read below and/or go to the HTH

HTH Worldwide Study Abroad Insurance:

The HTH Insurance is medical insurance, but also covers the costs of emergency evacuation for
medical, security, and political reasons and arranges for the evacuation. This is very important.
Also covered: pre
existing conditions, routine medical care, accidents/emergencies, repatriation,
dismemberment, and emergency family reunion. HTH has contra
cts with thousands of hospitals and
physicians worldwide and will assist students in making appointments with these physicians, and in
many cases, can pay the providers directly, eliminating the need for students to pay upfront and
wait for reimbursement.
HTH offers information on medications abroad, medical translations (from
its website), and safety and security tips and information. They are available to assist students 24
hours a day/ 7 days per week. All students who sign up for this insurance will re
ceived detailed
information about the policy; HTH will also be able to provide visa letters needed for many

For non
Trinity students who do not go with HTH: Remember that you
are required to have
adequate health insurance

that will work abroad
(many US policies don’t or have serious
. Your insurance
cover sickness, accidents, and hospitalization as

well as
medical, political, and security evacuation
Make sure you have coverage for repatriation and that
you are aware of any
restrictions your policy may have.
If your program offers insurance, make
sure that it covers all of these things!! If your program does not offer study abroad insurance, the
OIP strongly recommends that you purchase a policy (through Trinity / HTH or othe

Note that doctors and hospitalization fees can be as costly abroad as in the United States
, and
, in
most cases (unless you have HTH; they have some providers who will take their insurance up
foreign doctors and hospitals must be paid directly.
You can seek reimbursement from your
insurance company only after you have paid your bill. Before leaving home you should check with
your medical insurer to find out reimbursement procedures, how to handle questions of exchange
rates, whether you present t
he original of the bill or a copy, what to do about translations, what your
insurance actually covers, etc. If you do not do all this red
tape before leaving the States it can get
really complicated once you arrive

(extra telephone conversations, e
mail to your parents
and so on). It is your responsibility to know how your medical insurance works.

If you have purchased the Trinity College Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan, some
policy benefits will extend to your period of study away, but

not all. Additional insurance is
STRONGLY recommended! Also, for this insurance,
you will be required to pay for any medical


services rendered while away and to file a claim for reimbursement. Information about benefits can
be found at:

If you are covered under your parent’s health insurance policy, you will need to verify the amount
f coverage that extends to services outside of the United States. As with the Trinity health
insurance policy, under your parents’ policy, you will normally be expected to pay up front for any
medical services rendered abroad and file a claim for reimburs
ement from your insurance carrier.

You should ask the following questions when checking your insurance coverage:

Does the insurance cover study abroad students while outside their home country?

What is the maximum sickness and injury benefit?

Are pre
existing conditions covered?

What is the maximum coverage for accidental death?

Is there coverage for Emergency Medical Transportation/Evacuation? What is the maximum

Is there coverage for Security or Political Evacuation? How does this work?

What are the exclusions? (Many policies do not cover mental health abroad or injuries sustained
while diving, parachuting, bungee jumping, etc.)

Does the policy cover Repatriation of Remains? What is the maximum payable?

How does the policy work overseas?

Do policy holders need to pay up front for medical services and submit receipts for reimbursement,
or is the policy accepted in the host country in lieu of payment?

Does the policy include a benefit for emergency medical


Because domestic health insurance policies are often limited in their coverage overseas, Trinity
strongly advises purchase of additional health insurance coverage

There are many providers of insurance for students studying abroad

in addition to HTH Worldwide
and rates vary by the amount of coverage selected and the duration of coverage.

you will
find a list of insurance providers. Trinity offers this list as a courtesy only.

Some of the plans are medical coverage, and
some are noted as assistance and/or evacuation plans
only (emergency evacuation coverage is very important and is not always covered by normal US
insurance carriers).

In addition to comprehensive medical and security/political evacuation insurance,
ty strongly
recommends that you purchase an International Student ID Card (ISIC), which is described
elsewhere in the handbook. (The ISIC card benefits include
s travel insurance and assistance and
serves as a discount card

This can be purchased at the OI
P. Please contact the OIP for more

HTH Worldwide
Insurance Services

Study Abroad Health Insurance; Emergency Insurance Also Available


Cultural Insurance Services International



Study Abroad Health Insurance; Emergency Insurance Also Available


CMI Insurance

Study Abroad Health Insurance




International SOS

For emergency evacuation

& repatriation


On Call International

Medical evacuation and travel assistance



If you are Studying Away
on a DOMESTIC PROGRAM, you will need to ensure that your U.S.
insurance will work at your program site, but you do not need STUDY ABROAD INSURANCE.

Medical Emergencies

In case of accident or illness requiring immediate medical treatment, inform your Director or the
resident administrator/faculty member. Know who to contact and how to
contact them before you
need them

No special immunizations are needed for travel to many places in the world, but you should check
to make certain that all your shots are up
that your vaccinations for measles,
meningitis, mumps, rubella, polio, diphtheria,


tetanus are current.

Your program provider will
give you information regarding any special requirements

if they do not, ask them!
If you expect to
travel outside Western Europe, you should contact the Center for Disease Control at
for he
alth precautions and immunization requirements for travel to other countries. You can
also visit the website at

General Medical Recommendations

Again, i
t is advisable to have routine medical

and dental examinations before you go to make sure
you are in good health.

Be aware that the manner in which medical help is obtained, the way patients are treated, the
conditions of overseas medical facilities, and how health care is afforded often pres
ent marked
differences from U.S. practices. U.S. health care values, assumptions, and methods are not
universally practiced. Indeed, even the notions regarding the onset of illness or points at which
expert attention is required are to some degree cultural


Going abroad is not a magic cure for issues at home. Both physical and emotional health issues will
follow you wherever you go. In particular, if you are concerned about your use of alcohol and/or
other controlled drugs, or if you have an
emotional health concern, you should address it honestly
before making plans to travel. Contrary to many people’s expectations, travel does not minimize
these problems; in fact, it often exacerbates them to a crisis stage when you are away from home
and su
pport systems.

If you have a physical or psychological problem that requires ongoing treatment by a doctor, you
should consult with your physician or mental health professional about the prospect of studying
abroad. Most programs do not employ mental healt
h professionals, nor is mental health treatment
widely accessible or comparable to mental health treatment in the U.S. Programs do not
discriminate against individuals who have had any type of emotional or psychological problem.
However, for your own wel
fare, you should consult with a mental health professional in this
country to discuss the potential stress of study abroad, and to provide your program with specific
information concerning your psychological health (i.e., if you ever experience anxiety, de
etc.), and to be aware that English
speaking counselors are not readily available to program
participants in most locations.

Prescription Medications

If you are on medication, discuss with your physician the type of care you may need while abroa
and the best way to continue your regimen. You will need to bring enough medication to cover the
duration of your program. You should consult with your health insurance provider about obtaining
enough medication for your entire stay.
Do not

try to secu
re the medication abroad

unless you have
done research and are certain that the exact dosage and medicine you need is available and can be
obtained by you.
You will need a written note from your doctor in order to bring a full semester’s
worth of medicatio
n into the country with you. Please note: it is difficult, if not impossible to ship
medications internationally. If even legal, the shipment must clear customs and that may take
weeks. You must also determine if your medication is legal to bring into y
our destination country,
and if you will be able to obtain additional medication. For example, it is illegal to bring certain
medications for ADHD into

many countries.
Check with your program!

First Aid Kit

When traveling, bring your own basic drugstore
supplies, such as ibuprofen or Tylenol, motion
sickness medication, laxatives, antacids, antihistamines, decongestants, antiseptics, and band
Depending on where you are going and how long you are staying, your family doctor may
recommend that you tak
e antibiotics with you in the event that you become ill overseas. Make sure
all medications are in their labeled bottles, and carry a copy of the written prescription with the
generic names. Do the same with glasses and contact lenses. Bring an extra pair

of glasses and/or
contact lenses; also be sure to bring contact lens solution. You may not find the kind that you use
abroad. If you have a health condition that could be serious (such as diabetes, an allergy to
penicillin, etc.), wear a Medic Alert brace


HIV/AIDS remains a serious health threat to millions of people worldwide. Advances in treatments
in the U.S. have led to a complacency and reckless behavior among many college
aged Americans.

travelers should protect themselves when engaging in sexual activity. Latex condoms (used

with a water
based lubricant) are the most effective form of protection should you choose to be
sexually active.

are at greatest risk, but safe
sex precautions

must apply to everyone
studying away, regardless of gender or sexual orientation. AIDS (and other STDs) do not

Common Precautions

Probably the most common ailment for all international travelers is diarrhea caused by
contaminated food or dr
ink. It is important to exercise caution with the food and water that you
consume. Find out if tap water is safe to drink before trying it. If in doubt, boil water for at least 5
minutes or use a water filter or iodine tablet to purify it. You can also us
e bottled water. Remember
that if the tap water is not safe to drink, you should not use ice made from tap water or use tap water
to brush your teeth. Do not avoid drinking fluids, however, because you do not want to become
dehydrated. Eat only meat and
fish that have been thoroughly and recently cooked. Avoid raw or
undercooked eggs and vegetables and eat peeled fruit. Avoid street vendor food or food that has
been left outside for a long time. Insure that dairy products are fresh before you consume them
. Do
not drink non
pasteurized milk. Finally, try to get adequate rest and maintain a healthy, well
balanced diet.

For current health conditions abroad, contact your program provider for further information, or
contact the country desk at the U.S. State De
partment,, or the CDC (Center for
Disease Control) at
. The US State Department has an Overseas Citizens’ Emergency
Center. Also, remember that with the purchase of an International Student ID Car
d, you have access
to health information and assistance with locating English
speaking doctors abroad.

In summary:

You should try to arrange for a physical checkup, eye examination, and dental wo
rk to be
done before you depart.

Recurring or chronic health

problems: If you have any long
term medical problems about
which the program staff should be made aware, bring a legible doctor’s record with you.
Also, if you are allergic to certain medications, let them know.

Medications: If you take prescription dr
ugs, bring what you will need while you are away
from home. Be sure to have the medication in its original container. Bring a legible
(preferably typed) letter explaining what your medicine is for. This is especially important
if you are bringing syringe
s with you.

Please note that women’s health concerns are much more difficult to address in a foreign
country, most notably in the area of pregnancy (testing, morning after pills, etc.)

Contact lenses, eyeglasses: Consider bringing an extra pair of contac
ts or glasses and/or
their prescriptions with you. Remember also to bring plenty of your cleaning and other lens
fluids. The solutions sold in Europe are not always the same and are very expensive.

Bring a small first aid kit: with medications for headache, motion sickness, cold/cough, first
aid crème and band

Some additional resources for health information are:

Health Check for Study, Work, and Travel Abroad, published by the Council on
ernational Educational Exchange, and available on their we


“Health Information for International Travel,” available from the US Government
Printing Office.

There are

also materials on health in the OIP Resource Library.

UCONN in Framingham has a travel health clinic; you can obtain vaccinations here for
any country and guidance on health issues to prepare before you go.



If you already

have a passport,
make sure it is valid for

at least six months beyond the last day
of the program
. Remember to SIGN your passport!

Your passport is the only universally accepted form of identification. If you lose it, you’ve
lost all means of travel inte
rnationally and the means to register with the authorities in your
study location. Without your passport you cannot leave any country (not even to go back to
your host country from another country or the US from abroad).

If you do not yet have a passport,

it may be too late for you to study abroad next semester
due to visa regulations. Check with your program! Otherwise,
you must apply

and request expedited processing
. We cannot stress this enough! If you
already have a passport, make sure it
is valid for at least six months beyond the last day of
the program. The host country government, not

College, requires this.

Passport applications may be obtained at
many local

United States Post Office
. The current
for a Passport Book
is $
.00 for adults 18 years and older. For more information,
please go to:

Leave a photocopy of your passport and your passport number

at home and also carry one
with you. This saves a lot of time and hassle if you ever lose your passport.



students attending study abroad programs must secure a study visa from the country
where they will study
. A visa is applied for through
the foreign country consular offices located
here in the United States. The visa is a consular stamp that is affixed to a blank page in your
passport, and requirements for securing it will vary from country to country. Please read your
specific program i
nformation carefully for detailed directions. Failure to secure a visa will result in
your removal from the program.

If you are required to have a visa for entry into your host country
(most all programs/countries require this) and you enter without one,
you are entering the country
illegally and jeopardizing yourself, your program, and Trinity College.

When to Begin the Process of Obtaining a Visa:


o not leave the securing of a visa until the last minute!
It is

important to begin the
visa application process as soon as possible to ensure you will have sufficient time to complete
the required paperwork. Failure to obtain a visa will prevent you from study abroad, as you
be denied entry into the country.

cannot enter a country illegally.

The difficulty or ease of obtaining a visa depends upon the laws of the country you have chosen and
processing times can vary from
one week to
more than

3 months
. Your program will supply
detailed instructions for applyin
g for the visa and you will need to follow the instructions very
closely. You may need to book an appointment at the consulate immediately after receiving your
acceptance materials in order to get an appointment that will allow you to appear at the consul
with eno
ugh time for them to process the

visa before your departure date.

Note that some students
may have to appear at the consulate twice and may have to travel a great distance to and from the
consulate. Unfortunately, Trinity and the OIP cannot inf
luence the laws of your host country

A few of you may
be citizens of countries other than

the United States. If so, you will need to
contact the foreign consulate in your home country to check on visa requirements. You may also
call any one o
f the U.S. consulates (you may want to start with the New York or Boston consulate)
for information on reaching the consulate in your home country.
If you are not a permanent U.S.
resident, it is especially critical that you begin working on your visa ear
Normally, students
who are citizens of a country within the European Union will not need visa materials when studying
in the EU.

International Students on F
1 Visas

If you will be outside the U.S. for five (5) months or more, you will need a

20 to re
enter the U.S. at the end of your studies, even if your current I
20 appears to still be valid.

Please consult the Director of International Education with whom you work on immigration
requirements for complete details and answers to other qu

List of Consulates:

For a list of foreign countries which have embassies/consulates in the United States, please see the
following website.

International Student Identity Card (ISIC)

The International Student Identity Card (ISIC) is an identification card certifying that you are a full
time student at an institution of higher learning and is rec
ognized in most areas of the world as
proof of student status. We strongly recommend all students purchase the card. In addition to
providing students with travel discounts, the card provides extra travel insurance

that covers travel
delays/lost luggage/


who purchase the card have access to an emergency help line that
can assist you if you lose your passport, need an

speaking doctor, etc. The card also
provides extra emergency insurance! You can purchase the ISIC Card from the OIP, 6
6 Vernon,
x2005. For more information on the card, go to


Organizing a flight

You will need a round
trip flight for visa purposes!
Unless your program provides a flight, shop
around for the best prices. (If your program fee does include transportation, find out if it is
mandatory; most programs obtain competitive group rates, but you might find a cheaper fare, or
prefer a later return

date.) When booking your flights be certain to check on the date and time you
are expected to arrive and depart, especially as changes to a reservation can be costly.

the later you

book your flight, the more you will
likely have to
pay, so don’t

wait too long to make
your reservations.

If you are looking for inexpensive flights we advise you to look at

a student travel agency, such
as STA,

or 1


or call

local travel agent. Contacting airlines directly

result in higher priced flights due to the
fact you will be staying longer than 91 days abroad
, but you can sometimes find
good deals through
the airlines, too.

: Book your ticket as soon as you have the dates and acceptance from your
program. Many countries require that you produce your reservation and payment information in
order to get your visa. Remember t
hat you must book a round trip ticket; you cannot arrive in a
country with a one
way ticket due to immigration requirements! How do you get around this if you
are not sure when you want to leave? Purchase a student ticket (from STA or Student Universe) tha
offers low change fees and a flexible policy. Or, when you purchase your ticket from the airlines or
a travel agency, notify your agent that you need a ticket that will allow you to change your
departure date without a high penalty fee.

Arrivals/Late Departures

most programs CANNOT accommodate

Students participating in study abroad programs are expected to arrive promptly on the scheduled
start date of the program and to depart by the agreed
upon ending date of the semester. Many
ms offer airport pick
ups, but only on the specified arrival day, so that is another reason to
book a flight early, as flights will fill with other program participants to your destination. The
programs usually offer

assistance or

for a stu
dent's care, lodging, meals, or well
being, should the student arrive early or remain longer at the program. If you arrive early, or depart
late, you will be expected to find and pay for your own lodging.

They are generally NOT able to store belongings bef
ore the term. Please contact your arrival
airport for their “left luggage” facilities if you plan to arrive early or stay late.


International Air Travel Agreements
allow you to check two (2) pieces of baggage.
Check with your airline for baggage limitations and
, as well as charges.
with your airline to verify current regulations
, as things are changing and now airlines are assessing
fees fo
r luggage

they are often very strict with weight regulations, as well

ONE carry
on plus a
personal item (like a purse)


allowed in addition to the two pieces of
checked luggage.
Check with your airline to be sure; some airlines and countries
have different

The luggage allowance often changes between international flights and domestic flights. If you are
making a connection within a foreign country, the plane size may be smaller and have difference
baggage limits, even if it is the same

The carry
on can be your weekend bag, but don't fill it too full for the flight over or it won't fit into
the carry on space. Leave yourself legroom! It’s a long time to be cramped up in your seat.
Consider packing a basic change of clothes and o
vernight toiletries in your carry
on bag in case
your checked suitcases are temporarily lost.

Remember that you can only pack liquids under 3
ounces in your carry
on and all liquids must be in a plastic quart
sized ziplock bag.

Extra Baggage/Overweight Bag

If you exceed the size, quantity, or weight limits for bags, the airline has the right to charge you for
the extra bag. EXTRA bags can cost up to $300 per piece ONE WAY. According to Delta Airlines:
“You'll be charged an excess baggage fee each tim
e you go over any one of the
free allowances
. For
example, if you have an extra piece of baggage that goes over the weight limit and the size limit,
you'll be c
harged 3 times

once for the extra bag, once for going over the size limit, and once
for going over the weight limit.”

Please note
: If you ship personal items, do NOT declare the value to be more than $10, otherwise
you will pay a customs fee commensurate t
o the total value declared. Also, be aware that shipping
items can take up to almost 2 months to receive, so plan ahead if you decide you need to ship

• Hang on to your baggage claim tickets! They are essential for tracing lost bags. This usual
happens to someone in the group every year, but most luggage is found by the next day (see above
regarding what to pack in your carry
on bag).

Electrical Appliances

Appliances such as hairdryers run on a certain voltage of electrical current. There are two standard
voltages in the world: 110 (used in the U.S.) and 220. An appliance designed for 110 voltages
cannot run on 220 without a

(or may run for a while

and then burn up). In addition, plug
in (outlet) types vary the world over and require an
. If you must take an appliance, be sure
to take the proper converter and adap
If you will be abroad for a while, consider buying the
necessary appliances

abroad. This is easier, and in most cases, cheaper!

Appliances can only be used if they are battery
run or can be converted to run on 220 volts,
50 cycles. A useful website for explanations is

You may wish to purchase a
voltage transformer
. Transformers cost approx. $20
$40. A
transformer converts 220 volts into 110 volts, which is what the U.S. operates on. The
transformers must be paired with a socket adapter, or else it wo
n’t plug into the wall.

a socket adapter
. Usually the adapters will come in sets, with a variety of plug
configurations for various countries. Be sure any adapters you buy match the appliance
plugs for which you buy them. (i.e. 3 prong plug on your
laptop cord).

Since socket and plug sizes vary from country to country, some students prefer to buy cheap
appliances (hair dryers, alarm clocks, etc.) in country, although it may be cheaper to bring
the item from home and use with a transformer and adapter

If you need a hairdryer, it is a great idea to bring a dual voltage model.

Your laptop
: Virtually all recent laptops conform to the necessary voltage, but you should
check the power pack on your laptop computer or printer. It should read:

"INPUT 100

50/60HZ". If it doesn't, order one that does. DO NOT COUNT ON USING A
helpful to bring the adapter that turns your plug into a two
prong plug.
Questions? You can
check with the Trinity

IT staff before you go!!! (Make sure your computer is set up for VPN
access, too! Check with the Trinity Library Staff before you go to ensure you will have
access to their online materials through VPN.)


Above all else,
pack lightly.
You’ll be
lifting your bag out of the trunk of the car, through the
airport, off the luggage carousel, to the train station, to the bus stop, onto the bus, off the bus, back a
few kilometers because you missed your stop, up six flights of stairs, and onto the dresse
r. If you
can’t carry your luggage around the block three times, you’re taking too much. When in doubt,
leave it out!

You do not need as much as you think, and you can buy many items overseas.

Take durable clothes that require minimum care. We advise

taking valuable jewelry, or items
you would be heartbroken to lose. Check out the climate for your location. Remember, if you are
going to the southern hemisphere, the season there will be the opposite of what you are
experiencing here at home. Try for
as many waterproof things as possible.

Clothes (vary according to individual tastes and needs): Think basic black whenever possible.
You will have more flexibility and blend in more easily!

3 prs. jeans; consider having one lighter pair

___1 pr. nic
er pants or skirt (for internships especially)

___1 pair dress pants/dress outfit

2 pairs dress
type shorts (i.e. not just sport shorts). Used only in early fall or late

or when
traveling south. Shorts are not appropriate for many situations, an
d visits to churches. For women, a
dress or skirt is a better option, esp. in warm weather

4 sweaters of various weights, e.g., 1
2 cotton, 2 wool or fleece

5 T
shirts and 2
3 long sleeved shirts

3 turtlenecks

14 pairs of socks


underwear for winter if you tend to always be cold; good for layering and sleeping. Silk
long underwear is great warm and compact

___warm pajamas for winter;
in many counties, people
keep their homes

cooler than ours

___underwear; two weeks worth

1 durable winter coat; it will be worn and worn so dark colors better! (ski jackets w. zip in
layers are great

although you will look American)

___1 rainproof

jacket or rain coat; lined, preferably with hood

___1 pair of glove and a hat and scarf, d
epending upon the weather of your host country

___1 pair better shoes


2 pairs of
comfortable, sturdy walking shoes for warm and cold weather

1 pair of
sturdy athletic shoes.

1 pair of
flip flops

to wear in hostel showers

___swim suit

Important Items

___basic toiletries and medical supplies. Most US brands are available in developed countries,
bring enough to last a short while.

perspirant; you will find lots of deodorant in country
, but not much anti

___your own
supply of contact lens solutions; you may not find the equivalent of your brand

___Swiss Army knife always comes in handy. (Don’t pack in carry
on bag!)

___MP3 player or iPod.

___batteries for camera, alarm clock, and other appliances you are bringing; yo
u can also get these
in country, but they are more expensive there. You might consider rechargeable ones

___camera +
(consider insuring it as an individual item)
and film if using a non
digital camera


for weekend excursions, internal frame
is easiest

some bag

that is easy to maneuver on public transportation.

___Travel l
og/journal; Keep it up for posterity; you’ll be glad you did. You may even consider two
or more, depending on how much you write. (Can buy in country)

___1 cable lock for securing your pack/luggage in hostels on trips if you plan to stay in hostels


1 s

___One or more travel/guide books: indispensable! See, "Info on Travel and Tourism" section. If
you plan on spending a lot of time in one area or country, look for a guide book to that specific

Money belt

everyone should get a s
mall document pouch to wear inside clothes

to put passport
and credit cards, etc. in when traveling. Either a belt
type pouch or around the neck, not a ‘fanny

operated or wind
up travel alarm clock

cheaper in the U.S.

___electrical conv
erter and adapters (MUCH cheaper and MUCH easier to find in the US than in

___School supplies are readily available, although they are more expensive and different in format,
size, etc. Past students recommend you to bring US type notebooks
with yo

___Bring any extra passport photos. Great for certain extra IDs or for replacement purposes
(hopefully you won't need them for this, but...!)

___ Small gifts for friends you will make or for your homestay family, if applicable (items from
your hometown

or Trinity are good suggestions)

Books and Supplies

Books and other materials required for your courses will be available once you arrive, unless you
are told specifically to purchase a book and bring it with you. Most foreign university students do

purchase books for the semester, rather, they will utilize the texts at the library
, share books, or
use photocopied packets. Do
not be surprised if you are expected to do the same.

Some participants
recommend that students

bring a few notebooks with them

(esp. spiral bound)
, as the types available
locally may differ from what you are used to in the States.

: The Euro is the currency for all members of the European Union and the symbol for the
Euro is

The currency in the UK is the pound,
. A
ustralian currency is the Australian dollar A$.
The currency in
Argentina is the Argentine Peso

the currency in South Africa is the rand (ZAR)
and in Trinidad, the currency is the Trinidad & Tobago Dollar $.
You may check current exchange
rate informati
on at


Take several forms of money
: When arriving abroad and while traveling

away from your
, you sh
ould always carry several forms of money

in case of difficulties with ATMs,
credit cards, etc. Hav
couple hundred dollars

in the local currency, or US dollars as back
ups in
case your cred
it card fails or there’s no ATM. You can also bring a few hundre
d dollars in travelers’
checks as extra funds.
After you arrive, a local ATM is the most convenient way to get cash.

be certain you know how much your bank is going to charge for each ATM transaction abroad!

Notify your bank and credit card companies
you will be using the cards internationally
for 4 months! Check with your bank and credit card company regarding their foreign
currency surcharges.
fraud programs may activate after several internationa
l transactions if
you have not alerted your bank/credit cards and the machine will “eat” your card and you will be
facing a complicated process to get a new card or your existing card returned to you.

Credit Cards
: It is a good idea to have a credit card along

2 credit cards would be even better. A
credit card is good for emergency cash and large purchases. Visa and MasterCard are most widely
accepted. Discover and American Express cards are not
widely used
n many countries abroad.

Debit Cards:
Cirrus or Plus ATM machines are easy to find all over westernized countries. Most
s advise an ATM card (or two).
You can use them to withdraw money directly from your
checking account. Notify your bank about
your study abroad, and check on transaction fees. Also
check on any overseas fees for withdrawals. Banks vary widely in their fees, so be sure you know
what your bank charges. Also, be sure your know your per day limit on withdrawals. Know your
P.I.N. n
umber numerically as well as alphabetically, since many ATMs have no letters. Make sure
your P.I.N. is only 4 digits, not 6, as most European ATMs will not accept a 6 digit P.I.N!

American Express
: While the AmEx card is not as widely accepted, it does o
ffer certain valuable
conveniences. It pays for itself in terms of convenience and security for traveler’s checks and for
cash withdrawals on your home checking account. You can cash traveler’s checks without a service
charge in their offices in major ci
ties only. With other types of traveler’s checks, a fee is alway
required to cash each check.
If interested, ask the company for details.

Know a local Tel. No.

(and person, if possible) to call if you do have a problem with your credit or
debit cards!

o, how much money should I take?

This is obviously a very popular question and the answer varies according to what kind of person
you are. The amount of spending money to take with you will depend on your individual tastes and
spending habits.
You should

receive information on the amount of money to take (or a range) from
your program.
The information below will help you gage how much you will need to have
available. Additionally, the currency exchange rate will impact your final budget. If your currenc
is very expensive to buy with US dollars, then you will have to factor in additional funds

changing money
, perhaps as much as $500. Be certain that you know exactly what is included in
your program fees: how many meals, extra charges for certain typ
es of housing, etc.

Not included in most program estimates

Additional funds of approx $
00 per weekend of travel outside of your study country will be
needed. London and Paris can be double this amount, whereas Prague and Budapest
are on the

. Hostels

or pensions

are cheaper than hotel rooms.
In most areas in Europe, a

hotel double room in a bed and breakfast hotel could range from 75 euro per night

and up
. (We are
not talking about 3 or 4 star hotels!) A good fixed
price meal can

still be had for 12 euro to 15 euro.

In other countries, the prices may be significantly lower, but you may have to travel farther to get to
the destinations you want to visit. Ask your program provider for more information.

Some students

will travel extensively
, and others will explore their study country more. Also, some
students buy lots of souvenirs and clothes, others don’t, so estimates vary widely. Also, travel by
bus can be far less expensive than an air ticket, or even a rail tic

Banking in your study country

As indicated previously, we recommend that you carry traveler’s checks and cash, as well as an
ATM card as means of money while abroad. Nevertheless, students and their parents do sometimes
ask about the establishment
of personal bank accounts. While we do

recommend these to you,
you are of course free to try to make arrangements for such if you wish. Your program will be able
to advise you regarding the feasibility of doing this at your destination. In most insta
nces, there are
minimum deposits, identification requirements, etc. that can make trying to set up a bank account

difficult if not impossible. Notify your bank and credit cards that you will be using them
internationally so that automated fraud detection
systems do not shut your card down, leaving you



If your program does not arrange airport pick
ups, you will be expected to make your way from the
airport to your check
in location. You will need local currency to either take local public
transportation or a taxi. You may find a number of ATM’s in the a
irport terminal to get local funds,
if you didn’t bring any with you.

If you choose to use a taxi, go outside the airport terminal to the taxi queue in order to engage a
legitimate taxi. Many “gypsy” taxi drivers will attempt to engage you while in the
terminal, so head
straight for the queue of taxis. ASK how much the fare will be to your destination. If you are in a
English speaking country, have the address written down on a piece of paper to show the
driver. You will arrive jet lagged and tire
d, so don’t depend on trying to use your language skills
right away.


Many programs will have some PCs available for student use and a network printer, but students
may be encouraged to bring their own laptops. Check with your program to see what

Do NOT ship your computer
, as you will incur customs charges that may come close
to the value of your laptop


advantage of cybercafés. Remember to bring memory sticks and to take them with you when
you leave the café. Books that can
provide you with a wealth of information on how to stay
connected include:

The Rough Guide to the Internet
, Angus Kennedy, Rough Guides

Cybercafés: A Worldwide Guide for Travelers
, Kath Stanton (Ten Speed Press)

Internet Café Guide
, Ernst Larsen

Safe Computing While Studying Abroad

Using public computers at Internet cafes, airports, libraries, and other public facilities is not without
risk. Some may have keystroke loggers or other software installed on them to capture information.
If you must us
e public computers, try to find a reputable location and keep the following in mind:

• Never leave the computer unattended. Watch out for people looking over your shoulder who
might be trying to discover account names and passwords.

• Don’t enter sensitiv
e information when using a public computer. It is not recommended to do
any kind of banking or purchasing with these machines. If you use your e
mail accounts at
these locations, change your passwords regularly.

• Delete all files you have created on hard


• Always logout of all applications. Logout of Web sites by pressing logout instead of just
closing the browser. Close down all applications and reboot the system when you are finished.

• Remember to remove CDs, memory sticks and other personal
belongings as you leave. If you
are taking a computer with you and plan to use networking resources available to you while
you are abroad, do the following before you leave:


Update your operating system with the latest patches. Also apply the latest updat
es to
any application programs that you’ll be using.


Verify that you have installed and are running a current antivirus program. Make sure
that the virus definition files are up


Many machines become compromised because there are poor passwords on
machine accounts. Check to see that all accounts have complex, hard to

passwords. Do not share your passwords with anybody.


Close down any file sharing that might allow a hacker into your system.


Install an anti
spyware program that will regular
ly check for spyware on your machine.


Want to ensure you have access to the Trinity resources while abroad? Contact the
Trinity IT folks to be sure your laptop is travel

Staying Connected with friends and family

Telephone Communications

Check out
World Wide Clocks at

to stay in the know
about local time wherever you are. It is easy to forget time differences around the world.

Try to pre
arrange phone calls from

home. Calls originating in the US are

than calls originating in foreign countries.

Cell phones are quite popular and may be purchased
inexpensively in many countries;

can then
purchase pre

cards to operate them.
Your program
may in fact
provide you with a cell phone, so be sure to check.

In many countries, incoming cell phone
calls may be free for you

another reason to ask family and friends to call you!

An increasingly popular option is the Voice Over Internet Protocal (VO
IP), one service that
is widely used is

. You can converse computer to computer with
either a built
in microphone or by one purchased at your local electronics store for about
$20.00. These calls
are FREE.

Beware of purchasing “international” prepaid phone cards here in the states: most of
these only works for calling FROM the U.S

to locations overseas.

You can purchase
phone cards from abroad that will work TO the U.S.

One of the most economica
ways to call home is to use


local phone cards in varying denominations
, which
may be purchased at

cafes or tobacco shops.

International calling cards are a bit more convenient, but more expensive, working on a flat
rate with no reduction for
the time of day you call. They may still be worth having with you
for emergencies. AT&T, MCI or Sprint are all choices. Be careful, however, not to use
these cards for local calls, as currently, these companies

charge you to route the call

the U
. You cannot call a US 1
800 free
from abroad, either.

Obviously, in case of emergency, students will be allowed to make supervised collect
international calls from the office telephone at their program location.

Please call your parents as soon as y
ou can after you arrive! They will be concerned about you
and want to be reassured that you have arrived safely.

Mail from Home

On average, mail from the U.S.
takes 7 days

14 days to get to other countries
. Do inform your
family and friends that they may not hear from you promptly or regularly and therefore ought not to
worry. Nor should you worry if you do not receive mail from home with regularity. Any package
sent from the U.S. is taxed at delivery (o
n a proportionate scale) if the value of the package or its
insured amount exceeds $10.00.
Sometimes it has cost students more to receive a package than to
purchase the contents abroad.
Remember, do

have your parents

a computer!

fastest and easiest way to keep in contact with family and friends is through email.

Visits by Family and Friends

Family and friends may wish to take advantage of your time abroad to plan a visit. To make their
time with you rewarding and enjoyabl
e, be certain to check with your program before you set a time
to visit. Be sure to consider:

Where will they stay? Most programs have limits or prohibitions on guests staying with you
in your room. Homestays do not allow guests.

When will they visit? M
ost programs recommend visits during local holidays or scheduled
vacations in order to not interfere with your academics. Check to see what your program

How will they get their meals? Some programs that include meals will allow guests, if
d and paid for ahead of time. Local university cafeterias may allow non
students to
use the facility at any time. If you are in a home stay, you will not be allowed guests, so
plan accordingly.

Local Transportation

Your comprehensive fee for the semester program may include the cost of a monthly public transit
pass for the duration of your participation on the
rogram. You will want to make sure you know if
your program covers this, or if you will need to budget fun
ds to purchase this on your own.

Throughout the world, public transportation is the most efficient method of movement around your
location. You will soon get to know the network of subways, buses, and rails to get you throughout
the city and region.


sure that you find out from your program provider if there are any types of public transportation
that you should avoid or if you should avoid taking public transportation after a certain hour.

Conduct and Disciplinary Rules

You are reminded that you are

expected to behave as a guest, a somewhat privileged guest, but a
guest nonetheless. For essentially that is what you are

there by permission of government
authorities and that of your immediate hosts. Your relationship to your living environment
refore requires a little adjustment in your thinking. Serious misbehavior by students studying
abroad is uncommon. When it does occur, too much alcohol is generally the culprit; and the
thoughtlessness of a few jeopardizes the whole program. Such lack o
f consideration for others is
simply not acceptable. Your program Director has the authority to impose appropriate sanctions. In
an extreme case, the program may require a student to withdraw

altogether and be sent home at
his/her own expense.

may hav
e to sign (or have already signed)
an agreement or conduct code for your program

lease take the time to read it carefully, as you will be held to the standards in that document.

Some of the more common rules and regulations you may encounter are:

You mus
t abide by noise regulations

ate night noise is prohibited, as foreign standards and
expectations differ from what you may be used to on campus. Students who make excessive
noise on the premises at night or who otherwise disturb their peers or their ho
sts may be
required to find their own off campus housing or be dismissed from
their program!

may be prohibited in some areas (just as in the U.S.)





allowed to have alcoholic beverages on the property

of your program site
or in your

will most likely NOT be

allowed to bring
, significant others, or
friends with
you on program events or have them stay in program housing.


you are a guest of your host country and must comply with their laws, rules, and
ms. You will be expected to act in a responsible and considerate way, not only toward your
host, but towards your peers as well.

General Statement on Drugs and Alcohol

In a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country and are not protect
ed by U.S. laws.
Ignorance of the law is not an excuse for non
compliance. It is important that you learn about local
laws and regulations and obey them. Approximately 3,000 Americans are arrested abroad each year.
third are arrested on drug charges. M
any countries do not provide a jury trial or accept bail,
which could mean a lengthy pre
trial detention. In addition, prison conditions in many countries can
be extremely harsh and officials may not speak English. You could face very stiff fines or senten
ces if
found guilty of a crime.

If you violate a nation’s laws, neither the program nor the U.S. Embassy will be able to help

Local rules and customs regarding alcohol are much different than in the U.S., and public
drunkenness is very much frowned upon abroad. Students can, and in fact frequently are, arrested for
being intoxicated in public areas, and for drunk driving. Pleas
e conduct yourself accordingly.


Life abroad will be different and you need to expect this. Simply anticipating some of the differences
ahead of time can help better prepare you for life abroad in your host country. The single most import
ng to remember is to be flexible.
Try to observe and reflect before passing judgment. Remember
that you are the visitor and that you studied abroad in order to experience differences.

Cultural Adjustment:

Talk to almost any student who has studied abroad,

and you will hear glowing accounts of the
wonderful experience that she or he had, stories that may have inspired you to study abroad. The fond
memories that students relate, while demonstrating the profound impact of study abroad, often mask
the challeng
es that accompany this great learning experience. They may give you the impression that
you will be able to immediately and easily adjust to your new environment. This is not often the case,
however. As with any challenging experience, study abroad is not
always easy.

You may start out with a great deal of excitement where your host country seems to be the most
fantastic place on earth, and you are full of enthusiasm. Or you may start out feeling excited, but also
lost and overwhelmed. Either way, most stud
ents undergo a cycle of cultural adjustment, often called
“culture shock”. As part of this process (which can take place immediately, after a few days, weeks,
or even longer), you will go through a period where you experience feelings of loneliness, frustr
fatigue, homesickness, irritability, or even depression. You may find yourself complaining about
everything and everyone and feeling as if small problems are much bigger. You may even wish you
had never left home and long to be back in Hartford.

en/if this happens, do not worry. This is perfectly normal and an important part of study abroad,
as it shows that you are grappling with the differences between your cultural worldview and that of
your host country. Know that things WILL get better. The n
egative feelings and frustrations will
dissipate as you get more settled and begin to make friends and gain comfort and confidence in your
new surroundings. As you complete your adjustment cycle, you will come to understand, accept, and
appreciate your hos
t country, including the academics, food, habits, and customs. By the end of the
term, you may not want to leave, and you may find yourself trying to figure out how to get back again
as soon as possible.

Cultural Adjustment advice:

Try to keep an open mind

Recognize that we all have preconceived ideas and beliefs that may come into question
while abroad

Try not to have certain expectations of your host country or program

things will be
different than you anticipate.

Make an effort

to get to know the locals

Learn as much as you can about your host country and culture before you go

Maintain a support system

Keep a journal to record and reflect upon your impressions

Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Issues Abroad:

Customs, atti
tudes, laws, and social practices relating to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people
vary throughout the world. Some countries are more progressive than the United States in their
perspectives on GLBT issues. Many other countries are far more conser
vative and restrictive in their
policies and practices. GLBT students will want to inform themselves about relevant issues in their
host countries and all their travel destinations.

Most travel guides (especially those geared towards students) will have a

section on GLBT issues.
Use these and other books to become informed. The Internet is a great source of information. The
following are some good sites to start with:

Helpful Websites:

Rainbow Special Interest Group Student Resources for Study Abroad:

Information for LGBT travelers worldwide:


ILGA: The International Lesbian and Gay Association:

Homosexual Rights around the world:

IGLHRC: International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission:

Minorities (Ethnic and Religious):

If you are a minority in the U.S., you may find that you are viewed differently abroad. Or, you may
find yourself a minority as a result of where you are studying. This does not at all mean that you will
feel or be unwelcome, but just as in the U.S., polit
ical issues or lack of tolerance can make some
groups of people a target for mistreatment. Political rallies and certain dates like anniversaries of
historic events often spur ethnic and religious conflicts in many countries. Please talk with your On
staff if you have any questions or concerns.

Students with Disabilities:

Resources and facilit

for students with disabilities may not be the same abroad as they are in the
United States. Students with disabilities abroad can also be the victims of pre
judice and stereotyping.
The disabled report being stared at, ignored, un
assisted, and/ or talked down to more frequently
abroad than they tend to be in the United States. In many countries, there are no standards or
requirements for providing access for
the disabled. Wheelchair ramps, handicapped parking spaces,
Braille signs, and other aides may be non
existent in parts of the host country, especially rural areas.

In addition to a lack of services provided to the physically disabled, there may also be a
lack of
services provided to those with a learning disability, those with a psychological or emotional need, or
those who are mentally challenged.

If you have learning disabilities and need accommodation in your classes, you will probably need to
detailed information about your needs; you can contact Joan Murphy in the Dean of Students
Office for this information. Please ensure that you are working with your program staff on these
needs and that they are notified in advance.

If you need other

ial arrangements abroad, you should

also inquire early on

as soon as you have
selected a program!

Your program's staff abroad may require some time in o
rder to facilitate your
needs. Please be aware that e
ven though you request that your special needs be

met, it may be
impossible for your program's staff abroad to assist you.

Sometimes students with special needs may
find that another program or destination can better accommodate them.

Students with concerns related to disabilities should meet with the
Office of International Programs
staff prior to planning for study abroad. Students should also consult with Mobility International USA
(MIUSA). Call (541)343
1284 or visit their site at



Remember that you will be representing Trinity College and the United States abroad. Whether you
wish to take on the role or not, people will watch your behavior and associate you with your home
institution. Inappropriate, dangerous,

or illegal activity abroad may result in disciplinary sanctions at
your program and/or your return to campus.

Most of the places where students will be studying and traveling are as safe as large urban areas of the
United States. In some regions of the w
orld you may need to exercise extra caution, but be reassured
that physical assault of tourists in most countries is rare. Remember that the possibility for non
violent crime exists everywhere and
no one

can guarantee your immunity.

General Precautions

ake responsibility for your own safety and security by carefully reading the information, advice, and
resources provided, including the following websites:


You should also do the following:

• Check to make sure emergency contact information is current (provided on the original
program application).

• Check to make sure your On
Site Director has a photocopy of your passport (or, if not in a

program, leave a copy with your emergency contact person).

• Leave an itinerary and contact information with your On
Site Director or onsite staff for all
additional travel not associated with the program.

• Carry an emergency telephone contact list.

• Kn
ow the local equivalent of 911 for your program site.

• If you have a cell phone, store your emergency contact’s phone number under ICE (In Case of
Emergency) so that emergency/medical personnel can contact your family.

When you are traveling abroad, here

are the top 10 tips to make your trip easier:

.Make sure you have a signed, valid passport (and visas, if required). Before you go, fill in
the emergency information page of your passport.

Read the Consular Information Sheets (and Public Announcements or
Travel Warnings, if
applicable) for the countries you plan to visit.

Familiarize yourself with local laws and customs of the countries to which you are traveling.

Make two copies of your passport identification page. Leave one copy at home with friends

relatives. Carry the other with you in a place separate from your passport or keep in a safe
place on

Leave a copy of your itinerary with family or friends at home so that you can be contacted in
case of an emergency.

Do not leave your luggage unatt
ended in public areas. Do not accept packages from

Prior to your departure, you should register with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate
through the State Department’s travel registration website ( Registration
will make your pr
esence and whereabouts known in case it is necessary to contact you in an

To avoid being a target of crime, do not wear conspicuous clothing and expensive jewelry
and do not carry excessive amounts of money or unnecessary credit cards.

In order
to avoid violating local laws, deal only with authorized agents when you exchange
money or purchase art or antiques.

Since some countries and areas may be experiencing political and social instability, it is important
to use good judgment while abroad to
avoid situations that may put you in danger. If you see
demonstrations, for example, walk the other way; you have no way of knowing whether the
gathering is legal or whether it will remain peaceful or erupt into violence. Listen carefully to all
advice abo
ut health and safety issues given to you by your on
site staff. Do not engage in behavior
that you would consider dangerous or foolhardy at home.

It is recommended that U.S. students abroad keep a low profile because of the current political
climate. Try
to blend into the local culture in terms of dress and behaviors (i.e., do not wear baseball
caps or sweatshirts with American logos; do not wear your camera around your neck). Avoid sites
abroad that are typically associated with the United States (such as

U.S. restaurant chains,
nightclubs, or large tourist hotels that cater to Americans).

Do your research and know where you should not go

talk to your On
Site Director and ask locals
for tips on keeping safe!

Because the number of violent crimes committed against travelers is relatively low, you mainly
need to be concerned about nonviolent theft. Often groups of people

even children


together to distract or confuse student travelers so that they can rob

them. Coat pockets, handbags,
and back pockets are particularly susceptible to theft. Ploys may include creating a disturbance,
spilling something on your clothing, or even handing you something to hold. Travelers are inviting
targets unless they are aler
t, know what to expect, and are prepared to avoid or respond to any

Money and valuables

Wear a money belt when traveling and never carry all of your money in one place. Carry as
little cash as possible.


If you carry a wallet, carry it in
your front pocket.


Carry your purse slung over the shoulder and under the opposite arm. Do not
carry anything you could not stand to lose.

Never count your money in public.

Do not wear expensive jewelry.

Out in public

Be aware of your surroundings
and your belongings at all times.

If you feel nervous or are lost, walk purposefully into a café or shop, and check your map
there rather than on the street.

Walk confidently and as if you know where you are.

Try to fit in and to dress like the locals (d
o not wear super bright colors, sneakers, and T
shirts with the names of American cities or universities).

Avoid eye contact with strangers.

Travel with a companion at night and stay in populated, well
lit areas.

Avoid arguments and confrontations, and av
oid demonstrations, especially in politically
volatile countries.

Act conservatively and keep a low profile.

Ask locals you trust where you should go and not go for general safety and travel tips.


Be ca
reful when driving or riding in vehicles.

When traveling, be especially cautious in a large crowd.

Use only sturdy luggage that locks. Do not carry expensive luggage. Make sure that your
luggage is easy to identify.

Never leave your bags unattended.

On buses and trains, put your arm through th
e strap on your bags. If you decide to sleep on
public transportation, make sure your bag is secure.

Hotels and Hostels

If staying in a youth hostel, try to carry your valuables with you if there is not a safe. Lock
your suitcase and, if possible, strap i
t to your bed when you go out. You may want to sleep
with your valuables under your pillow.

Do not leave your valuables in your hotel or hostel room. Use a safe or safety deposit box or
consider storing some items in a locker at a train station or airport

If you find yourself in a potentially dangerous situation, try to get out of trouble by running or
walking away. If this is not possible, try to seek assistance or attract attention to yourself. If you are
mugged, do not struggle

give up your money an
d valuables. Your safety is more important than
the loss of your belongings. If something does happen, be sure to notify your program
director/coordinator and get a police report documenting any losses for insurance purposes.

Special considerations for wo

While figures show that women going on study abroad programs outnumber men 2 to 1, there is
still the necessity to discuss some special considerations for women when traveling abroad. It is
widely recognized in our society that women are capable, inde
pendent, and that it is our right to do
anything and go anywhere. However, this American attitude toward women is not necessarily found
or accepted in other countries. Around the world attitudes toward women vary tremendously, and
awareness of this is an i
mportant aspect in preparation for entering a new culture.

Women and men who travel alone are given different insight and gain different perspectives than
they might if traveling in a group. More can perhaps be learned, seen, experienced, and gained by
aveling alone. Nevertheless, women should be aware of the position they may be in upon traveling
alone, or traveling with other women. A good suggestion is to speak with women who have
experienced traveling and living abroad, or to read about the position
of women in different

A woman traveling on her own may encounter more difficulties than a man by himself. Some of
the best ways to avoid hassle are to fit in and try to understand the roles of the sexes in the culture in
which you are travelin
g. Flexibility means observing how the host country’s women dress and
behave, and following their example. What may be appropriate or friendly behavior in the US may
bring you unwanted, even dangerous, attention in another culture. You should try to alwa
ys make
your intentions clear and pay your own way. Mention your “husband” or “boyfriend,” whether you
have one or not. Be alert and do not go out alone after dark. Learn the customs of the country you
are visiting. In some cultures, the position of women
in society differs drastically from the situation
in the United States. Be aware of this and keep in mind as you encounter situations that may seem
unfair or discriminatory.

Below are some direct quotes from students who traveled and lived abroad on the s
ubject of women
abroad. They offer a range of experiences:

“Exercise caution.”

“Women alone are not safe from harassment. Pretend you don’t hear. Pretend you are preoccupied.”

“Dress conservatively and never sit in empty areas.”

“Be as aware when traveling

abroad as you are when you travel at home. Just be aware of yourself
and your surroundings and make smart decisions.”

Try not to take offense at whistles and other gestures of appreciation, regardless of whether they are
compliments, invitations, or insul
ts. Realize that, in many countries, these gestures are as much as
part of the culture as is the food, history and language.

But if a situation is dangerous

if you are made to feel uncomfortable

then act as if it is. Be extra
careful when giving your tru
st. This applies generally, but is especially important when traveling
alone. Avoid being out alone at night in unfamiliar territory

on the street, in parks, on trams, on
trains. If, for example, at night you suddenly find yourself alone in a train car,

move to another one
where other people are sitting. Be alert and do not go out alone after dark. Discuss any situations
which make you feel uncomfortable with the on
site director, or other staff member. Some
recommended titles for women abroad are:
re Women Travel,

Safety and Security for Women
Who Travel,

Going Solo: A Guide for Women Traveling Alone.

Other Resources

Other resources to review before your departure are:

Travel information on the below topics may be found at


U.S. Consuls Help Americans Abroad

Crisis Abroad

Citizens Services

Travel Warning on Drugs Abroad

Sending Money Overseas to a U.S. Citizen in an Emergency

Your Trip Abroad

A Safe Trip Abroad

Tips for Women Traveling Alone

Tips for Students

Tips for Americans Residing Abroad

Foreign Entry Requirement

Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Testing Requirements for Entry into
Foreign Countries

Medical Information for Americans Travelin
g Abroad


Millions of Americans travel abroad every year and encounter no difficulties. However, U.S.
embassies and consulates assist nearly 200,000 Americans each year who are victims of crime,
accident, or

emergency happens, or if natural disaster, terrorism, or civil unrest strikes during your

foreign illness, or whose family and friends need to contact them in an emergency. By registering
your trip, you help the embassy or consulate

you when you mig
ht need them the most.
Registration is voluntary and costs nothing, but it should be part of your travel planning and

The Embassy or Consulate WILL:

Issue you a new passport or replace one that is lost/stolen.

Contact the State Department at thei
r expense for further instructions, if you cannot verify
your citizenship.

Help you find medical or legal services in the case of an emergency and help notify friends
or family members.

Tell you what to do if something is stolen and have funds wired on y
our behalf, if necessary.

The Embassy or Consulate WILL NOT:

Give or lend money or cash checks.

Serve as a travel agent or an information bureau.

Act as interpreters or couriers.

Arrange for free medical or legal services.

Personal Property
Liability Insurance

Protecting your personal possessions while you are away from your home country is something you
should carefully consider, especially if you will be taking a laptop, digital camera, or other
expensive equipment.

Your program is not res
ponsible for the loss of or damage to personal property. Check to see if you
might be eligible for personal property and liability coverage through your parent’s homeowner
policy. If you are not, there are several companies that offer personal property a
nd liability policies
that cover students studying abroad.

Please note that

does not endorse either company listed below, and offers this information as
a courtesy only.


stered by Marsh


National Student Services, Inc.



Learn about your Host Country:

Preparing for study abroad

really doing it well, so that the experience can be as substantive and
meaningful and fun as possible

takes some effort. In addition to selecting your program, talking to
returnees from that program, and choosing courses that

will teach you about the location, it’s wise
to do some investigating on your own. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Read local newspapers, journals, and news:

Local newspapers and news magazines are often
available online.

In addition to the New York Time
s and other US and local sources of news, you
may want to make a habit of reviewing other sources of record, such as the BBC. By the time you
get there, you should understand the basics of that country’s political system, the major players in
that system,
and important current events and issues.

2. Ask faculty, returned study
away students
, and international students

suggested books,
articles, and films about the country.

Focus on contemporary history, fiction, and books that deal
with contemporary soc
ial issues.

3. Tour books

are an essential source of basic information, from weather and currency to brief
histories of important regions, from national holidays to museum hours and costs. Several good
series (Let’s Go
, Lonely Planet, and
The Rough Guide

are examples) are written with the budget
traveler/university student in mind. You can download much information from online, but
sometimes it’s nice to have the actual book in your hand, especially if you’ll be traveling within the
Also, buy a g
ood map and a phrase book, if applicable.


series is one of the most popular guidebook with student travelers.


have good cost
cutting tips and budget savers.


have a good touring section for the cities, but lists hi
gher priced attractions,
accommodations, and restaurants.

, by Robert Kohls, is short and helps ease the culture
shock in both directions.


guides are usually written by people who lived in these places and
series is highly recommended. This is an extremely popular series with student travelers.


are similar to the Lonely Planet guides and also quite popular with student
travelers. Recommended.


US State Department and similar government agencies
offer important information on
safety, health, and other relevant conditions through their websites. In addition to the US State
Department postings, we generally recommend that students read the Canadian

and British
counterparts to get a broader view. In addition, it’s wise to consult the websites of the World Health
Organization and/or the US Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

Other Travel
Related Tips/Info

& Bus

Studying in Europe?

Go to

for a complete listing of all available rail pass

if you wish to investigate this before you leave the U.S
You can also buy different types of
passes after you arrive.

Studying ou
tside of Continental Europe? Do some research on travel options within your host
country/region or wait until you arrive to find out the best means of travel. Your
ite staff can
help you find good options for travel by train or bus.

There are special p
ackages for travelers in
many countries, too!

Interested in an organized tour with 18
30 year olds? You may wish to consider a Contiki tour,

Air Travel within Europe and Elsewhere:

Currently, various a
irlines offer very inexpensive tickets to a variety of destinations and you may
wish to investigate these as an alternative to a rail pass. Visit
, and

for ideas.

You can also find good options through the
Student Travel Agency,


aware that the airlines often use small airports farther from town, and tickets must be booked
online or by phone. In many instances the cost savings will more than offset the inconvenience, but
be sure to check the airport and trans
portation into your final destination in figuring the actual costs.

Good websites for inexpensive travel in Australia are


Have tips on travel sites for Latin America, Africa, Asia, Trinidad, etc? Contact the OIP and we will
include in our next handbook!

Youth Hostel Passes:

Youth hostels are inexpensive student acc
ommodations found around the

Go to Hostelling
International for more information:

Another organization is

For more inform
ation, go to


Academic Standards


As defined in the
Trinity College Handbook

expects students to attend classes

There is also the understanding that individual instructors may further define attendance
requirements for their specific courses. This same expectation holds true for programs of study
undertaken abroad. Depending upon the particular program, loss of c
or a failing grade
result from a violation of the program guidelines, so be sure you know what is expected of you.

Intellectual Honesty

In accordance with the Trinity College Student Integrity Contract (
Student Handbook
), students are
to abide by the highest standards of intellectual honesty in all academic exercises.
Intellectual honesty assumes that students do their own work and that they credit properly those
upon whose work and thought they draw. It is the responsibility of each s
tudent to make sure that
he or she is fully aware of what constitutes intellectually honest work in every examination, quiz,
paper, laboratory report, or other academic exercise submitted for evaluation.

For a complete description of the Trinity College St
udent Integrity Contract, see the Handbook
section on Intellectual Honesty,

Regulations regard
ing behavior

All students studying away are expected to know and abide by all college and program regulations,
including the prohibition regarding the unacceptable behaviors described below:


Conduct unbecoming of a participant. This includes, but is not li
mited to, disturbance of the
peace; disorderly or indecent conduct; physical or verbal abuse or assault; threats;
intimidation; coercion; and conduct that threatens, instills fear, or infringes upon the rights,
dignity and integrity of any person; any cond
uct likely to lead to violence; harassment;
and/or hazing.


Attempted or actual theft of, or misappropriation of another’s property or services.
Attempted or actual damage, defacement, or destruction of property.


Knowingly furnishing false, inaccurate, or
misleading information to or about the


Refusal to comply with a legitimate request of a program staff member.


Behavior which endangers the health and safety of oneself or of others.


Unauthorized access to program facilities.


use, duplication, or distribution of program keys or access codes without



such as forgery, including forging another’s signature on official forms.


Disruption of the orderly processes of the program, involving obstruction or interfere
with teaching, administration, or other program activities.


Failure to abide by the operating regulations of academic and non
academic offices and
departments related to the program.


Misuse of program, state, or government issued instruments of identif


Violation of legal statutes in the host country.


Failure to comply with any Trinity College policy or regulation including, but not limited to:

Application Agreement for International Programs

Acceptance Agreement for International Programs


of Conduct for International Programs

Trinity’s Integrity Contract

Trinity’s alcohol Policy and Regulations

Trinity’s drug Policy and Regulations

Trinity’s policy on Sexual Misconduct

ealth regulations

ousing regulations

Be sure that you have read the

Trinity Student Handbook; you are responsible for the rules,
regulations, and policies it details:



main theme of the orientation process is that “being there is

enough.” If the experience is to
pay off for you in the full sense, you will have to take charge of your life in new ways. You will
find, for example, that you will have to supply much of the “rhythm and pace” to your life abroad.
Many of your normal h
abits and obligations will simply have not relevance outside the US and you
will have to build new daily patterns. Similarly, you will almost surely want to meet local residents
as quickly as you can, but this won’t just “happen.” You will have to develo
p a strategy to
maximize your social contacts. This may mean involving yourself in all kinds of things that would
not normally attract you.

Above all, you must develop new intellectual and cultural interests. If you do not have

projects to
pursue or in
terests to cultivate,
time will drift and you will constantly be “waiting” for something to
happen to you. It probably won’t. The direction, the force, the interest and the independence in
your life will have to be supplied by


do you go about
developing “rhythm and pace” in your life? How do you make social
contacts outside your ordinary pattern? How in the world do you actually pursue a so
“intellectual and cultural interest” to get the results of which we are speaking? There are man
answers to these questions and they will be different for

By way of example, we offer the following ideas
The details are variable, and you may not share
the interests mentioned below.
This is ok, but
do find something

that will help

your host

for you in an interesting way that is meaningful for you as an individual. You have a
studying away.

What exactly are you going to do with it?


: Cultivating Fluency in the language of your host country

Attend local fi
lms once or twice a week

Attend local plays

Ask the faculty to alert you to important lecturers

Watch local TV

Read local newspapers and magazines

Talk to locals whenever you have an opportunity!

Example B: Become an Art Lover

xpand on what you learn

in one or more of your classes by visiting sites and museums.

Attend a

gallery shows

Exhaust (if possible) the art of your city doing day trips

Develop a program of private reading and studying

Keep a journal of experiences and impressions for future

Example C: Become an

Study the city as text

If cities and landscape and quality of life excite you, you might want to focus in a conscious way
upon the urban environment
. How is it managed? What makes it what it is? What is

How is the city planned? How is pollution controlled?
How does transportation work?

Study the geography of cities or towns elsewhere in the country

Study who has the power, what type of government there is, and how things are run.


and catalogue important
monuments, new developments, interesting
architecture, ethnic neighborhoods, etc.

What are the problems you see in the city? The tensions? What do you see that you like

what ideas would you like to see the U.S. emulate?

Enlarge y
our comparisons to the nearby cities and countryside. Visit outlying areas of the

Try to discover the methods by which different environments keep their special character,
i.e. preservation and restoration.

Other ways to get out there and get invol

Try to meet local residents
Such conversations will also help your language. You are more
likely to meet locals if you travel in smaller groups

Join a
local sports club

Get to know your neighborhood; frequent a local café and become a regular


makes it
easier for you to meet people.

If you are studying in a foreign university, make yourself start conversations with local


reach out!

In short, get out there and get involved and have an enjoyable, rewarding, and safe semester
(or year)
studying away!!!!

OIP Staff:

Lisa Sapolis, Director, (860) 297

Jason Fenner, Assistant Director, (860) 297

Eleanor Emerson, Program Coordinator, (860) 297

Melissa Scully, Administrative Assistant, (860) 297

24/7 Emergency Number: (860)
2222 (Campus Safety)


OIP Advisor(s)


Eleanor Emerson

Cape Town

Eleanor Emerson


Lisa Sapolis

Rome Campus

Jason Fenner

Buenos Aires

Eleanor Emerson


Eleanor Emerson or Lisa Sapolis


Melissa Scully
or Lisa Sapolis


OIP Advisor(s)

Africa (Sub

Eleanor Emerson


Jason Fenner or Lisa Sapolis

Australia/New Zealand

Eleanor Emerson


Eleanor Emerson

Domestic (U.S.)

Jason Fenner

Europe (except Italy & Spain)

Lisa Sapolis


Jason Fenner

Latin America

& Spain

Eleanor Emerson

Middle East & N. Africa

Lisa Sapolis

United Kingdom & Ireland

Jason Fenner


Jason Fenner