Genetic Engineering Webquest
Topics In Biology
History of Mapping
1. How could a gene map lead researchers to new frontiers in drug development?
2. What is recombinant DNA?
3. What was the first commercial use of genetic engineering?
4. Identify some other commercial uses gebetic engineering
___________ (DNA, Codons, Genes , Nucleotide Bases )
6. Please summarize the major points of the site above.
Is Biotechnology Safe?
Human Genome Project
7. What was the goal of the Human Genome Project?
8. What is a genome?
9. What is the “Map of the genom
10. Who owns researched DNA?
11. How are cells "immortalized"?
12. Discuss some ethical concerns behind the Human Genome Project.
13. What is an oncogene?
Discuss what is meant by the phrase “altered genes”.
15. What are “genetic metabolic diseases”?
is Gene Therapy?
17. How can it be used to assist children with cystic fibrosis?
18. Look over the
list of FDA Approved biopharmaceuticals and write down two that may have an impact
on you or your family.
_____________________________: Treatment for ________________________________________
_____________________________: Treatment for ___________________
D. Genetically Modified (GM) / Biotechnological Products and Their Uses
is DNA fingerprinting?
20. Could there be a concern about using these technologies?
fy the benefits of Bioplastics.
22. Explain what is Biomining?
23. What is Bioremediation?
24. In three reasons why foods are being genetically modified?
25. Identify four concerns that are making people nervous about gene
tically modifying agricultural products.
26. After reading this like above discuss the following:
27. What a
re the challenges that new science throws at old policies?
28. What allows the FDA regulate genetically engineered food?
29. How does a Gene Gun work?
Transgenic Farm Animals
Explain what is a transgenic animal?
31. How did researchers use transgenic mice?
32. How many sheep were needed to produ
33. How did research get these mice to fluoresce under UV light?
34. Identify two major concerns using GM products to feed the world
35. Briefly, Research and explain how the GM Technologies below are being us
es and applied…BRIEFLY
Eugenics (be careful of the sites you visit)
The five “Fs: Food, Fiber, Fuel, Feedstocks, Pharmaceuticals
What are the tool
s of biotechnology?
How old is biotechnology? What is genetic engineering?