20110627_IBISCoP_Call_Notesx - IBIS-PH Community of ...

feastcanadianSoftware and s/w Development

Dec 14, 2013 (4 years and 18 days ago)

95 views

***IBIS
-
PH CoP Conference Call

Notes
***


Submitted by Lois H.,
Monday, June 27


In attendance:

AK: Charles Utermohle

UT
: Kathie Marti, Brian Paoli
, Kimberly Partain McNamara,

Tong Zheng,

Garth Braithwaite

NM: Lois Haggard
, Jenny Liu, Paul Leo

NC: Eleanor
Howell, Lee Creighton

MD/NCHS: John Dolinka

MA: Paul Oppedisano, Rich Lee, Jamie Wilkins

NJ: Maria Baron, Paul Nicolette


1.

The call
Agenda

was revised to include items suggested by Paul Nicolette (NJ)

2.

Review minutes from last month’s call



typo fixed from
J
-
Box to J
-
Boss

3.

Review action items from last month’s call

a.

URL length



basically no limit based on latest Apache updates

b.

Version 2 release status (
see below
)

c.

SAS parallel processing



Paul Nicolette (NJ)
is checking into it

further
. He talked with his SAS
vendor and
there was something about a “speedy engine.”

Paul also reported that they
have had success in improving performance by moving their SAS workspace to a
ramdisk, but that they were still having issues when the query results table
needed to display

a large number of rows (e.g., >500).



Jenny Liu (NM) reported that
the

NM query system is

on a
virtual machine
that
has the capacity to allocate up to 12 GB of memory if it is needed, but that when
we checked into our memory usage, we rarely needed more th
an 2 GB. She
also
reported that we
worked with a contractor in NM recently

to do some memory
tuning
that was useful. She has provided documentation of that work. It is in

the project management folder in the file repository, here:
http://www.ibisph.org/trac/browser/trunk/pm/IBIS_CoP_Conference_Calls/201
1_06/IBIS%20Memory%20Usage%20and%20Config.doc
.



Garth mentioned that whe
n you look at memory usage, it is not ibis
-
view or ibis
-
q/cgi apps that are using the memory, it is almost all SAS.

4.

Update on Version 2 release

a.

POPULATE_MISSING_VALUES
Ticket#87
.

It is not perfect

(
attaches new

rows out of
“order,”
)

but it was decided to go with what we have now

and give other states a
chance to use it and suggest changes.

b.

Security configurations for standard, HTTPS (NM), and SiteMinder (UT)
.

Garth has
modified the security structure

slightly to better handle adopter needs. The new
structure is working on Lois Haggard’s (NM) test environment. It is working without
https, we’re now working on getting https to work.

c.

Admin and View releases, WARs and JARs
.

Garth will create a generic WAR

file

for
ibisph
-
view (which will include the .JAR file)
, but it may not be of great value,
because it will not have any of our site
-
specific content in it.

d.

Instructions for SS directory structure

are available here(thanks to Kimberly

Partain
McNamara
, UT)
:

http://www.ibisph.org/trac/browser/trunk/pm/IBIS_CoP_Conference_Calls/2011_0
6

.

e.

Planning 1.8 to 2.0 migration




how to run in parallel



Garth and Paul Nicolet
te discussed the following
solution: create the new version 2 app in the same webapps directory, but with
a different name, e.g., “ibisph
-
view
-
2,” and run them both. The new view app
will need to point to the new admin DB. View 1.8x used old DB structure,
View
2.x uses new DB structure. Can’t mix and match.




is script needed/available

to copy 1.8 Admin db contents into 2.0 table
structure?

1.

There are up
-
to
-
date table create
(
http://www.ibisph.org/trac/browser/trunk/src/main/db/mysql/tab_c.s
ql

) and table update
(
http://www.ibisph.org/trac/browser/trunk/src/main/db/mysql/update
.sql
) scripts
in the UT repository for Mysql DB vendor.

2.

Jenny Liu provided us with an updated table create script for MS
SQLServer 2005
(
http://www.ibi
sph.org/trac/browser/trunk/src/main/db/sqlserver/ibis
ph_admin_NM_create_table_script.sql
)


f.

Admin stability issues
. The Admin app has always been stable in the UT
environment, but for whatever reason, in NM and NJ, it seems to crash a lot. NM
has been usin
g the new Admin app for several months, now, and it has not crashed.


g.

Repository hosting. The group discussed the potential and merits of getting adopter
logins to the current UT SVN repository versus having the whole site hosted
somewhere else. Kathie Mar
ti (UT) agreed to inquire about the possibilities of
getting adopter logins on the UT repo site. Paul Leo (NM) agreed to research some
other hosting options. Paul sent us this URL:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_software_hosting_facilit
ies
. This will be an agenda item for next month’s call.


5.

R
epository structure changes
. Lois Haggard (UT) described the changes to the UT file
repository
structure.

6.

Development priorities

a.

Lois H.
(NM)
guided the
group to the Trac tickets page and advised them to
communicate with Kathie Marti (UT) and herself if you have a development need
that is either 1) not on the list of active tickets, or 2) not a high

enough priority.

b.

John Dolinka (MD/NCHS) asked whether consulting with STG developers and
support folks need to be a ticket. No, it does not. Just schedule the time with Garth
or Paul or ZW. They will track their time and it will be charged to you directly
.

c.

The group discussed updating the old Admin DB Entity Relationship Diagram. Paul
Leo (NM) mentioned some open source tools for creating the diagram.

d.

Paul Nicolette inquired about the cascading delete feature. We can delete an
indicator record, but it leaves orphan records all over the DB (indicator view values,
related indicators, indicator editors, etc.). One issue is that, until recently, MySQL
did n
ot handle foreign keys, which are needed for a cascading delete feature in IBIS
Admin.


7.

Other items?


ACTION ITEMS FROM TODAY’S CALL:

1.

Follow up with SAS on parallel processing (Paul Nicolette, NJ)

2.

Check on potential for adopters to use UT file repository (
Kathie Marti, UT)

3.

Research hosting for open
-
source applications (Paul Leo, NM) done?

4.

Provide documentation on IBIS Memory allocation and tuning (Jenny Liu, NM)
. (done)

5.

Provide MS SQLServer table script (Jenny Liu, NM). (done)

6.

Download HP2020

objectives and

put into Excel file. (Lois Haggard, NM)


Some stayed on the call to continue the discussion.


Eleanor Howell (NC) asked about implementation of the HP2020 objectives into IBIS. Some states (e.g.,
NM) will just move over to the new HP2010 objectives wholes
ale. Others (e.g., NJ) need to maintain
both systems until their HP2010 activities are closed
-
out.

Lois volunteered to get the new HP2020
objectives into an Excel file and distribute them.

On the next call, we will discuss the use cases and how
to implemen
t HP2020.


Eleanor asked about the community profile and whether they’d be in version 2. Yes, they are there, but
Lois has asked Garth to make some refinements. Those refinements will require some changes to the
View xml files. It was decided to go ahead a
nd release ibisph
-
view version 2.o

without delay
, and make
those refinements as an update to version 2.0. By the time other adopters might be ready for them, the
updated code will likely be available.


Paul
Oppedisano

(MA) reported that their Virtual Gatew
ay folks agreed to provide a development site
for MA
-
IBIS. Paul said this was a big step forward. They will require ADA testing of the IBIS app. The
group discussed the IBIS history with ADA testing and potential issues. Paul will share the results of the
ADA testing with the group.





Next call, Monday, Aug 1 from
3
:00 to
5:00 EDT