Chapter 13: Genetic Engineering OPEN NOTES
1. Before the discovery of Genetic Engineering, we still manipulated an organisms genes by:
2. List the three ways we manipulated genetics before Genetic Engineering:
3. How does Selective Breeding work?
4. How does Hybridization work?
5. How does Inbreeding work?
6. Which of the three methods listed above is the riskiest? Why?
7. Which of the three methods listed above results in the healthie
st animals many times?
8. List the 5 steps of DNA manipulation below:
9. What can we do to an organism's genetic code with Genetic Engineering?
10. List the Five Genetic Engineering methods discussed in your notes.
11. Define what a Transgenic Organism is:
12. How have we used Bacteria as a Transgenic Organism?
13. Name some ways that agriculture has been changed due to Transgenic Plants:
14. What is meant by the term Genetically
15. What was the first GM food and how was it modified?
16. How does most of the world view GM foods?
17. GM foods are legal in the US but they are controversial. Give some points from both sides of the
18. How have animals been Genetically Modified to become Transgenic Organisms?
19. Define Cloning:
20. What was the first successfully cloned animal?
21. Although it was thought of as a success, what was the animals he
22. Is human cloning legal?
23. Define Vaccine:
23. What does a vaccine do for your health?
24. Define Gene Therapy:
25. What disease is Gene Therapy finding the most success right now?
26. Is Gene Therapy a permanent solution?
27. What do Forensic Scientists do?
28. What is DNA fingerprinting?