VGS Planning Workgroup Meeting

whinnycampingΜηχανική

5 Νοε 2013 (πριν από 3 χρόνια και 5 μήνες)

61 εμφανίσεις


1



VGS

Planning

Workgroup

Meeting



March

31
,
2011

12
:
3
0

p
.m. to
2
:
3
0

p
.
m.


Edison Mission Energy Office

Santa Ana
,
CA



I.

Welcome

Ross Guttromson

welcomed participants and thanked them for joining. Attendees in
the room and on the phone introduced themselves (a list of attendees is attached).


II.

Anti
-
Trust Policy

Matt Hunsaker reviewed the WECC Anti
-
Trust Policy and encouraged all present to
read t
he guidelines attached to each WECC agenda.


III.

Agenda

Matt Hunsaker reviewed the agenda. NO changes were made to the posted
agenda.


IV.

Approval of Minutes

Nader Samaan

motioned and
Jamie Austin
seconded to approve the minutes of the
December 2, 2010 meeting.
The motion passed unanimously.


V.

A
ctivity
P
1:
Bob Nelson

Bob provided a file to lead a discussion on updates in VG modeling efforts. To view
the file, click
here
. In general, there is not a lot to update on VG modeling. The
Modeling Validation Group has models where they’re l
ooking at different types of
turbines.


Ross Guttromson suggested that the PWG should start looking at energy storage
and he will start thinking about how to do that.




2

VI.

A
ctivity
P
2:
IVGTF


Michael Milligan

IVGTF reports 2.4 (Operating Practices, Procedure
s, and Tools) and 1.2 (Methods
to Model and Calculate Capacity Contributions of VG for Resource Adequacy and
Planning) have been posted on the NERC
website
.


There was a discussion on what th
e PWG was expected to produce from this
activity. It was unclear if there was a specific deliverable associated with the activity,
or if it should be removed from the activity list completely. Ross Guttromson opined
that the PWG doesn’t need to produce a

specific deliverable for all of the IVGTF
reports; rather, each VGS workgroup needs to be familiar with the applicable IVGTF
reports. The PWG members agreed to let each VGS task team determine if they
want to produce any memos based on the IVGTF reports.



Matt Hunsaker presented a table of the IVGTF tasks. To view the table, click
here
.


VII.

Activity P3


Transmission Adequacy
and Capacity


Matt Muldoon

Matt Muldoon made a presentation on system automation as a tool to facilitate VG
integration. To view the presentation, click
here
.


Matt pointed out that entities with automation will likely be more able to move to a
15
-
min regime compared to those with more manual systems. One question
is
regarding the suitability of equipment and systems to accommodate additional
automation. Is it worth investigating the costs to add automation to BAs, and what
capabilities are enabled? Could an incremental capital investment in automation
offset a mu
ch larger cost?


Matt asked if this a

question that the VGS can deliver value on, Characterizing the
links between automation and system capabilities. While this may not be a new
activity, but maybe a support to the Planning guide. Yuri Makarov agreed that a
discussion on automation could b
e added to the planning guide.


**ACTION ITEM**

Matt Muldoon will work with Yuri to add thoughts on automation in the planning
guide


VIII.

Activity P4


Standard Planning Methods


Wally Gibson

Wally Gibson led a discussion on this activity. The activity team

has been waiting for
the 1.2 IVGTF report, which was recently released. Wally’s draft white paper has
had very little progress over the last 6 months. The direction of the paper was to
look at the IVGTF report and also talk about regulatory requirements

in the West that
merit more attention.


The whitepaper is going to provide info on how the PWG thinks capacity value
should be derived, and that will ultimately go into the Planning Guidebook.



3

Michael Milligan noted that the method of calculating capac
ity value will pick up the
value of solar power, as a function of things like geographic diversity, because of the
time
-
of
-
day component to solar power.


Ross Guttromson opined that capacity value analysis should be consistent over
different systems. Deve
lopers need to understand that capacity values may change
in the future, either up or down. Michael Milligan responded that the calculation
method does not look at how capacity values would change every year.


**ACTION ITEM**

Wally will work with Yuri
to incorporate capacity value calculations into the
whitepaper.


IX.

Activity P6


Centralized Data


George Nail

There was a discussion on how the PWG might to build the database and what the
PWG might do to support a data request. Ross Guttromson suggested
using the
planning guide as a data request reason. The PWG agreed that if we ask for the
data, we need to have a reason why the BAs should provide it.


Michelle Mizumori said that if we think there is specific data that we think should be
stored, we can

let the RCs and BAs know, but we shouldn’t just have a request to
save all data arbitrarily.


Scott Gutting suggested that the VGS talk with the JGC and the PCC to see what
they would like to see in a database and how hard we should push in trying to coll
ect
the data.


**ACTION ITEM**

Matt and Scott Gutting will talk with PCC to see what they want out of the database.


X.

Activity P7


System Dynamic Studies


Ann Finley

Ann Finley provided an update on this activity. To view her presentation, click
here
.


Ann provided a draft list of suggested dynamic studies based on the following
categories:

1.

time domain


sho
rt term,

2.

time domain


long term

3.

NERC special report 5
-
18
-
10,

4.

frequency domain studies


Ultimately the suggested studies will be handed off to the JGC and the JGC will
decide if this is something they want to hand off to TSS or add more staff to
complet
e them. Ross Guttromson clarified that the PWG needs to say that these
studies need to be considered and the PWG should probably add some more
explanation of when the scenarios need to be checked.



4

Bob Nelson made a point that modern wind turbines (type 3

and 4) have a lot more
features to provide flexibility and ancillary services compared to previous models.
Bob would like an approach to see what the wind turbines can do to help the system.


XI.

Activity P8


Planning Guide for Heavy Penetration of VG


Y
uri Makarov

Yuri made a presentation on the Planning Guide. To view the presentation, click
here
.


The list of topics has not changed very much since last time. Ross Guttromson
requested a section on energy storage as an alternative to transmission expansion
is added in the guide. Previous to the PWG meeting, Marv Landauer had suggested
that

the planning guide include an overview of current industry practices.


Yuri needs to involve more contributing authors and requested that more VGS
members volunteer in participating.


**ACTION ITEM**

Matt to send out periodic updates on the status
of the report.


**ACTION ITEM**

Matt to send the link to the PWG on the planning guide.


**ACTION ITEM**

Matt to see if the PCC can contribute authors to help Yuri
.



XII.

Next Meetings

The Next VGS meeting will be on June 9, 2011. The location is SLC.


XIII.

Adjour
n



5

Exhibit A
:

Attendance List

VGS

Planning

Workgroup

Meeting


March

31
,
2011



Attendance


䥮⁐e牳rn

乡ke

A晦楬楡i楯i

ja瑴⁈ nsa步r

tb䍃

p捯瑴 䝵瑴楮i

啴rh⁁獳o捩慴楯n映bne牧r⁕獥牳

An瑯n楯iA汶a牥r

m䜦b

䩡m楥iAu獴楮

ma捩f楃o牰

B楬氠䑯lb牯r獫s

q物
-
p瑡te

Ann⁆楮ley

jta

j楣桡e氠l楬汩gan

乒bi

乡ke爠ramaan

m乎i

副獳o䝵瑴牯mson

pandia

j楣桥汬e⁍ zumo物

tb䍃

i楡i⁎oa楬汥l

u捥氠lne牧y

䑯ag⁐o捨a楬o

B䌠䡹d牯

䥳fwa爠卡楮i

ja捱ua物e⁅ne牧y

䑡ae⁓捨楡ia

p䍅

䝡特⁔a牰汥e

bd楳潮⁍ 獳楯s

剡樠䡵ndal

mowe牥r

䑡a楤iqovar

b氠la獯⁅汥捴物c

A瑴endan捥


佮⁴he⁐hone

䩡捫⁅汬楳

剥獥牯⁃rnsu汴楮l

䝡特⁌aw獯n

pj啄

qom⁃ oper

p剐

A牴⁄raz
-
䝯nza汥l

tAmA

ja瑴⁍ 汤lon

佐啃

Ba牴⁍捍anus

䉐B

䩥nni晥爠ra牴

tb䍃

䑡ae⁃牯we汬

p剐

䩡捯b iu捡s

䙅剃

䩩g⁅汬楳潮

pandia

he楴i th楴e

䍐啃


6

Mike Evans

Shell

Yuri Makarov

PNNL

Wally Gibson

NPCC