Apr 4,2011 - WordPress for the College of Engineering Faculty & Staff

sunglowmaizeΚινητά – Ασύρματες Τεχνολογίες

10 Δεκ 2013 (πριν από 3 χρόνια και 8 μέρες)

128 εμφανίσεις

From:

Stein, Jack

Sent:

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:23 PM

To:

Johnson, Bob; Smelser, Ron

Cc:

Castaneda, Armando; Desgraves, Sean; Dyer, Rodney; Edgecombe, Jason; Rhodes, Terry; Whisler, Dave; Wale, Nicolas; Peshave, Mi
tesh;
Verner, Andrew; Hatley, Nathaniel
; Gortney, William; Hayes, Raven; Walters, Kyle; Edwards, Travis; 'Andrew Stein'; Andre, Sandeep; Rahane,
Ameya; Plover, Mark; Speice, Bradlee; Poindexter, Andrew; Barton, Crystal

Subject:

Mosaic and PCS status for week ending April 4,2011

April 10,2011


Mosaic and PCS status for week ending April 4,2011

April 10,2011

Duke

Woodward

Cameron

Smith

242


(52/53)

208 (12/12)

213 (18/20)

260 (26/33)

323


(24/25)

237 (8/17)

109 (31/38)

249 (41/44)


243 (15/17)

113 (18/19)

229 (30/30)




225 (40/43)




Student

work areas usage in Smith 3
rd

floor corridor and nook areas as well as the Duke 242 lab showing the highest usage.



Mosaic Anywhere servers peak usage of 76 out of 85


servers in use on 4/6/11 at about 10:10 pm .



Linux X
-
server usage staying stable. (see g
raph below)



COEConnect usage for March is lower


(see graph below)



Total Work Orders volume in PCS is lower for March. The graphs also show the split between WO for


students and faculty/staff.



Student
WO volume has been about twice as much as faculty/st
aff

since the beginning of the year but in March 2011 it is about the same

(see graph
below)



Customer tickets volume has dropped

(see graph below)



Migration efforts from Unix to Linux on our infrastructure:



File Servers
:





Here is an update on data migr
ation:



Solaris Servers

1.

fs
-
sm3

print server (waiting printing and data migration to Linux)

2.

fs
-
me1

print server (waiting printing and data migration to Linux)

3.

fs
-
ece1


print server (waiting printing and data mig
ration to Linux)

4.

fs
-
me5

Disk Farm


5.

fs
-
me2

6.

fs
-
me3

7.

fs
-
ece2

8.

fs
-
ece3




Linux AFS Fileservers in production


1.

fs
-
sm6

2.

fs
-
sm8

3.

fs
-
ece5

4.

fs
-
ece6

5.

fs
-
me6

6.

fs
-
me7



Web Server migrate off Unix
:



1.

Transition to Linux web services complete. Unix web server is
shut down.

2.

Reduced the number of Web Server in our pool from 5 to 2.




Printing migrated off Unix:

1.

Plan to have this done in the summer of 2011.




Back End file servers support (VLDB, Kerberos) migrated off Unix:

1.

Plan to have this done in the summer of 2011
.



Oracle servers migrated off Unix:

1.

Plan to have this done in Spring 2012



MySQL Serves migrated off Unix

1.

Plan to have this done in Summer of 2012

Windows:



Autodesk BIM to be loaded on Virtual XP for test by ET.



Work has started on ArgGIS on Virtual XP for
testing



Work suspended on Solidworks 2010
-
2011


as requested by Tony


will work on Solidworks 2012 when it comes out in June.



Emergency notification plugin and app have been tested


by CSS on a Mosaic loaner system. Trying to figure out what is next.



Effo
rts continue to determine our Windows 7/Mosaic II strategy.


Research work has picked up with Nathan focused on this with direction from
Rodney.



Nathan and Rodney are trying to get a Windows 7 Build process going.



Will be investigating use of


BIGFIX by bo
th Windows and Linux


in the future.



Assessing request for Trimble software install on Mosaic Windows XP


from CE


(John Daniels)


Other Initiatives:

PCS:



Working with HP on how we can have PCS be a central warranty center for UNCC purchased HP laptops.

M
et with Kevin Oakley of HP to review HP
relationship



We completed testing the

purchase process and order fulfillment channels thru Dell (web and phone) to verify that the workflow processing is working
correctly.



Levine Scholars Program. PCS will be condu
cting a “meet and greet” with Levine Scholars students on April 18


registration of laptops will be done
during this 30 minutes and an intro to what PCS and Mosaic.



PCS completed evaluation of Google cloud for Office;


draft of Window 7 registration is un
der review


Facilities:



Worked with Dan to compile from architect drawings


the lab locations and seats for the EPIC building:

1.

No computer labs or classroom with computer on the ground floor.

2.

Room 1140 1
st

floor 44 seat teaching classroom with computers;

3.

Room 1223


1
st

floor 12 seat work space with computers

4.

Room 2218


2
nd

floor 48 seat computer lab

5.

room 3236


3
rd

floor 42 seat computer lab



Duke web cams project moving forward.


Project to be fully completed by April 2011.

a.

Electrical work completion date


Facilities is working to have this done by Wednesday, April, 6
th
.

b.

Classroom Support will connect the cameras to the new power outlets


by Friday, April 8
th
.

c.

Recording PC installation and setup date


April 12
th
.

d.

Documentation and training date


April 12
th

to 15
th

with Thomas Koch as the primary user.

e.

Acceptance and Test period date


2 week period (from April 15
th

to April 29
th
) including any possible changes to camera settings.

f.

Turn over date


April 29
th

is the expected completion date for this project
.



Woodward 243 lab has been hot on several occasions.


We are monitoring.


Admin:



Crystal Barton has joined the group as a student technical specialist. Spent the week getting up to speed on web transition f
rom Nick.


Worked on
Intranet.



Position 3990


has

been be re
-
posted and the description was made more precise about the required job qualifications. Posting is now extended until
April 17. Position is posted on the HR web site, Career Builder, advertized in the Charlotte Observer as well as 170 other me
d
ia outlets in NC.
Reviewed 45 applicants for Position 3990.


Working with HR for additional advertizing coverage, including possibly LinkedIn.



The Position Description and justification for newly funded EPIC position is still in the queue for approval. Pos
ition 4719.



CFAC meeting held

April 8 (agenda: what software is needed for the fall 2011 and spring 2012 semester;



status of software and tokens; status of
virtual XP; virtual Ubuntu; student organization web and disk space; Senior Project disk and com
puter needs; Linux workshops)



Working on compiling staff reviews.



CAC meeting where I presented the 2011
-
2012 budget for Mosaic/PCS; the items we would need if one time funding was available; items we can
purchase from EPIC funding for EPIC directed/aligne
d purpose.



Review of the services provided by Mosaic and PCS to determine if there are alternatives to these and/or


curtailing these. I plan to meet with Jeff
Rabon of CCI to see how he is handling similar situation.



The restricted data policy is now off
icial and I will be scheduled for a training session so I understand what my role is for the college.



Working with Classroom Support (Lee Perkins) to see if we can make the podium based Mosaic workstation lock out users from ch
anging the audio
controls.



Wo
rking with departments

on Matlab toolboxes they need as part of the campus license agreement.



Notified by Jeff Altman of YFS that he has decide to cancel the


AFS and Kerberos Workshop for June 6
-
10.



Weekly Staff meeting.




Coordinating


how to deal with l
oss of cooling when Duke fan replacement happens May 23
-
28



A meeting is


scheduled for April 13


with Dan and EPIC project manager


for planning of the


EPIC server room.



Defined


Windows application called Mosaic Health Check. A project that will be handl
ed in the summer.



Compiling summer projects



Podium systems will need replaced as follows:



26 are out of warranty



Only 3 will be replaced at end of semester by CSS



12 will stay for an additional year or longer



11 will be the burden of the COE




Met with ITS
to review ArcGIS



CIST meeting



Waiting on PO for Ansys Research



Problem with ls
-
mee2 license server



Web:



Met with Christopher Eichelberger, of SSL , to hand off audit of our COE hosted web sites.



Tested Senior Design Project Management web app from Mark.


Working with Bill Heybruck and Dave Whisler.



Tested Printer Management web application that Mitesh is developing.



PHP seg faults sopped after we disabled ACP.


ITS has similar issues.



Linux:





Weekly meeting



Efforts continue with Ubuntu/Android SDK



Agil
ent EmPro installed on Linux on 30 day eval by ECE



AFS client has been updated on all Mosaic X
-
Servers



YFS’s service to update AFS client in an automatic way is in place



Infrastructure:

a.

Will need to set up a schedule to backup of all Active Directory, li
cense, probe, and build servers.

b.

Will need to schedule an upgrade to our AD servers and other Microsoft Server to Windows


Server 2008 64 bit

c.

Need to determine


why the afs folder appears mysteriously in directories.

d.

Need to remove applications and volumes
.

e.

Need to plan for upgrade to MySQL

f.

Need to plan for upgrade to Joomla


Applications:



Assessing request from ET for a suite of Autodesk apps (Revit) for the Building Information management program. Plan to insta
ll on Mosaic
Virtual XP in April and if it me
ets requirements then we are done. If it does not we will have to schedule a Mosaic Windows install for Fall 2011



Visual Modflow


release

planned for June 2011.



RAM structural Steel a new version from Bentley needs to be rolled out.



Office 2010 will be r
eleased in the summer of 2011.



Renewal of Aveva PDMS software license completed. Have a license file. Not installing this license file as no one is using th
e product in the
college.



Need to look at the Codevision C Compiler issue that fails on Mosaic windo
ws.



Working with Mike Carr for more SNAGIT licenses




Working with Mike Carr for Autodesk BIM licenses




Moving to support only Cadence Encounter 10.0 on Linux




Assessing if we will deploy ArcGIS on Mosaic Windows for Bill Saunders and others who are compla
ining about the Citrix version being very
slow (relayed to Bob Bair in ITS).




Decided not to renews support for

Origin Pro




Announced the end of life of Ansys on Windows


only available on Linux



Many renewals are


in the queue:

a.

BIOwin


-

Renewed license

b.

Synopsys

and Synplicity


expires 4/26/11. EULA signed off; PO issued for $3000; will get the license file in late April.

c.

EXA Powerviz


expires 4/31/11


contacted Mesbah Uddin. He is trying to get this in place at no cost.

d.

CFD ACE (expired 1/15/11)


-

M
esbah Uddin OK’ed to remove it from the Linux menu.


EOL process started.

e.

Bentley Microstation, Leap bridge


expires 5/1/11
-

have quote with 30 extra seats (to 50). Started the process to renew. Renewed.

f.

ProE

expires 5/6/11; $2500


have quote. Submitted

for renewal. Agreements signed. PO issued.

g.

Timberline


expires 5/15/11; $400.


Submitted request to vendor for renewal; got quote; PO issued.

h.

Opnet


expires 5/16/11.

i.

Agilent


expires 5/18/11; $1407. Submitted request to vendor for renewal. Waiting on
status of EmPro to be bundled in for an additional
$600. ECE is


testing a 30 day eval.


Need to know by April 15.

j.

StarCCM


expires 5/25/11


Working to get the license renewed. EULA executed; waiting on PO.

k.

COMSOL


expires 5/31/11; $4600. Submitted requ
est to vendor for renewal. Have quote. EPIC to pay. Gave to Robin for PO. PO
executed.

l.

XPROPS


expires 5/31/11; Submitted request to vendor for renewal. Got quote. $500. Waiting on PO

m.

HCSPlus

expires 6/2/11

n.

Solidworks


expires 6/20/11; $2500. Submitted
request to vendor for renewal; have quote; waiting on PO.

o.

iSqFt
-

expires 7/5/11

p.

Decision Tools


expires 7/31/11

q.

RealVNC


expires 5/13/11; $886.50; Submitted request to vendor for renewal. Paid.

r.

Oracle Kerberos support


expires 5/27/11; $1600; Submitted
request to vendor for renewal. Working with Robin Weaver to sort this out.

s.

Samwrap


expires 7/31/11 $2200. Submitted request to vendor for renewal; waiting on a quote.

t.

Matlab


pro rated

additional cost for campus license


Estimate an additional


$3300
to fund from May 1/11


Apr 30/12

u.

Ansys Research License for Nilabh Srivastava


PO done. waiting on vendor license



Other:



Plans forming for a CSW 2011 in summer session. May 24 8:30 am and 11:30 am;


May 25, 1 session.



We are assessing how we handle rem
ote access for Windows and Linux users. Proposal to modify Device DB and other back end processing.



ITS is planning to offer a remote support software tool for the campus and we plan to test it out.



We will be evaluating a bug tracking system (web based).

Bugzilla and JIRA are 2


of the products.



Working on Facebook presence for the college. Mike H and I attended

an on line class on social networking on Nov 8,9


some value to this but I
will be reviewing a book called “Facebook for Dummies”


to better un
derstand this social media outlet and how it can be utilized in the college for
recruitment, and helping the college with keeping up with our alumni. Meeting was held with Ben M, Mike H and the Dean to com
e up with a Face
Book strategy.



Reviewing 3 books i
n the series of “Knock Your Socks Service”


will be using these in the Help Desk. These books are used at CPCC.


Customer Support:



Address problem with eAdvising where ITS changed the SSL certificate on their AD server


Jason resolved this.



Notified ECE
of EOL on older Cadence version; will only support version 10 after Aug 2011



Worked with Claude Hargrove on web server he needs for his research



Working with Maciej to update of ETAP license for Senior Design



Helped Ian Ferguson with extra disk space on AF
S.


Web:



Mitesh is working


on the Printer/Plotter Management Web App.


A schedule has been developed with milestones.


Schedule is at risk.


Test

plans
updated on Google docs; bugs and bug tracking
-

all in Google doc. The Mosaic Help desk has been tes
ting milestone 1 and 2. Tested Printer
Management web app.



Raven has completed the inventory

of Mosaic network printers and plotters

-

tracking this in a Google doc.


This will be used in the
printer management web application.



Device Data Base will be u
pdated by Armando to accurately reflect Mosaic printers on the network that we support;


All other printers
will be reviewed before removed.


Dave Whisler to make changes to Device Data Base to capture more info on printers.



Researching use of SNMP for pr
obing the Mosaic network printers.



Senior Design Project web application is on a day by day slippage of the proposed schedule for the project. Mark Plover is wo
rking on this. Project


Milestone 5 Event and Event Management is not completed.



Working with
Sandeep and Andrew Stein on ticket system enhancements to improve productivity for the Mosaic and PCS Help Desk. The Mosaic
Help desk will begin testing in April.



Coordinating the work efforts of Andrew Stein for Shenen Chen on NCRST


and ISRV research pro
ject. A Bridgeview Android based application
is being developed.



Work on COEConnect version 2

is completed. Released to Jack, Peter S, Bob Johnson, Dan Rowe, Robin Moose and a few others for internal
testing. Andrew V is working on the


COEConnect II web
interface when time permits for managing the new service for remote access and for the
access to licensed applications form a laptop.



Travis is working with the ACL Manager when time permits


several meetings and review of the User Interface were held.



iPe
er version 2.2 (from the Univ of British Columbia) has been released. Will investigate with UBC their plans for enhancements
we need and if we
can deploy it with fixes on our system.



Dave is working faculty

who have a personal web site and assisting them
with conversion to Wordpress.




Andrew Stein has prototyped a flash based easy to use “Did You Know”, “FAQ” and “What is”







Facilities:



Request


by ITS to replace the network racks with new ones and new gear

in smith 253 server room. Thi
s is an ongoing project. No date for when
the changeover will actually occur. At this point there are no new racks or equipment from ITS in our Smith 253 server room.
The decision has
been made to use network cabinets instead of network racks to prevent ha
ving to drill the floor.



Liebert cooling unit in Duke server room shut off by itself when cooling went down and it should have stayed operational.


Needs looked at.



Terry and I will be working with Dan and the project manager to define EPIC Mosaic Server R
oom, Staging Room and offices for Terry.



Still trying to complete all


the loose ends on the Lenel


Door Access for CARC 213; Duke 323; Smith 249.





Help Desk


Support Management:



PCS Competency assessment has been revised.


Sean

conducted an assessment

with the new PCS TA. Reviewed and gave feedback.



Mosaic TA Competency Assessment has been revised. Armando conducted an assessment with the new Mosaic TA.



Workstations and Servers:



Terry is coordinating the deployment of the Dell systems for faculty/sta
ff desktop. 80 Optiplex 980 systems for faculty refresh ($50,000 funded by
ITS/Provost) = $50,129 by Mosaic; EPIC funded 13 systems.


Mosaic

EPIC

Upgraded

48

5

Faculty and staff remaining to upgrade

32

8

Subtotals

80

13


PCS:



Looking at SNMP b
ased software to see if our plotters report information such as out of paper and toner level



Sean continue to deal with the ramification from a stolen laptop that Dr. Lim (SEEM)

reported.


Sean is following up with ITS (laptop has the
LoJack Computrace an
ti theft software on it) and providing weekly update.



We are working to get the insurance money from this theft thru
LoJack.



Work continues with the draft of Newsletter from PCS/Mosaic.





Administrative



Mosaic and PCS Welcome Package


Armando has sta
rted to work on this.



Need to attend departmental faculty meetings once a semester to get more feedback from them on technical strategy.

MISCL:



Need to test Cell Server DB outage


and impact on Windows client (Terry and Rodney). Need most current version o
f AFS client [Need the most
current version of AFS client on Windows]



Large file copy in AFS needs tested (Rodney) [Need the most current version of AFS client on Windows on our AFS servers]



Upgrade to latest OpenAFS client 1.5.7xxx.[ In Process]



Rollout f
ix for OpenAFS client “write” performance issue. [On Hold]



Need to figure out why AFS folders magically show up on our system.



AFS testing with Outlook and OST files
-

installed latest client build [Need new client and testing]



Rodney is scheduled to work
with ITS to make sure our Mosaic component for logging into Netware is covered. An email conversation with ITS
has started.



Mosaic Application strategy efforts:



Nick completed the set up on Google docs for assessing application usage. This will be complete
d by PCS



Rodney needs to fix a bug in the Mosaic Tool to analyze the data.




Lab views charts on our web


-

need to see if we show the LWS and MWS usage



Monitoring the W237 Linux usage (dual mode usage)



Looking into adding more power strips in labs (where f
easible) so students can take out their laptops and work right on the table where the
workstation is located.



Work on the

Business Continuity Plan document continues but slowly.



probe of cx
-
xxx needs support (Rodney, Dave)



Digital Signage
-


add labmap an
d virtual tour to the slide show (Jack);



Dept of Insurance Equipment coverage needs to be addressed on our vehicles. (Terry, Armando)



Need to get added feature to Nagios


who to call for resolving problems



Handling of special rooms in Device DB (Help Des
k, Lecture Capture)




Web Analytics



Linux Compute server usage (LXS
-
ME1):







Linux X
-
Server usage LXS
-
SM1; LXS
-
SM2; LXS
-
SM3; LXS
-
ME2; LXS
-
ME3 (without the Compute Server):





COEConnect usage
statistics:












Customer Support data ticket statistics
:










Personal Computer Support Work Orders Statistics:







Applications:




Updates to AppDB for all new software, upgrade
s.




Installed license for new Intel Fortran compiler and C++


for 64 bit Linux


2 seats. Need to remove older 2 seat 32 bit Fortran




AppDB work:




Remove Centra






Apps that have no support/maintenance:




OriginPro





Tecplot






In limbo


no faculty sponsor




Trip generation




ArcPad




GRL Weap




FB Multipier






Linux Red Hat Support

renewal




Planned Mosaic Windows Release Schedule:


Application

Scheduled Release

Emergency Notifi
cations RSS Feed

04/15/11

Office plug
-
in for Moodle

05/13/11

Google Cloud Connect

05/13/11

Visual Modflow Pro

06/17/11

SolidWorks 2011
-
2012

08/12/11

Microsoft Office 2010

Summer 2011


Windows applications under review:


ArcGIS in the Mosaic Virtual X
P

Solidworks 2012

Autocad BIM software suite in the Mosaic Virtual XP

Trimble software




Applications planned

for Mosaic Linux

Application

Scheduled Release

Android SDK

April 11, 2011

Firefox 4

April 15, 2011

Cadence EXT


(QRC extractor)

April 20, 2011

Labview

April 20, 2011

OpenOffice 3.3

April 28, 2011

Synopsys

April 28, 2011

Agilent ADS
-

waiting on release from vendor

May 15, 2011

Comsol 4.2 (vendor release in May)

May 15, 2011

HFSS

May 15, 2011

Maple 15

June 1, 2011

Cadence SPB 16.3

June 1,

2011

Cadence SBP

November 15, 2011


Linux software under review:

Agilent EmPro


Application House cleaning:


Application clean up on Mosaic Windows XP.


Many applications on

Mosaic Windows XP will be tagged for removal this summer.


The more we clean
up on
Mosaic Windows XP


the easier it will be to transition to Windows 7.


These products reside on Mosaic Windows XP


and we just need to make sure they are
still needed.


Jack needs to know from CFAC members if any of these applications are still needed

by May 13:

Arena

Atmel AVR Studio

Audacity

ArcPad

Centra

Chvac

Civil Series

COM624p

COSMOS

Design Builder

Digilent ADEPT

Driven

FaroScout

FEM Lab

FL Pier

Gas EQ

gOprnMol

HEC
-
HMS

HEC
-
RAS

IDE 68K

Implan

Interwrite PRS

LC3 Simulator

LI
SREL

M4

MEMS


Design Tools

MineQL Plus

PCA Structure on Windows

PL
-
AID

Power prep GRE

Pi ToolBox

Pi Work Bench

Octave

Qulacomm Eudora

SPB Cadence

SPICE

SPT97

STAAD Pro

Syncho Sim Traffic

Transcad

Trip Generation

Transys

TSIS

Ultiboard

UTEXASED

Van Dyke Sure Trak

Win PAS

Win STABL

Win TR
-
55


The following plans are to be made public to all COE departments by the CFAC members.

Feedback from CFAC members to Jack is needed

by May
13:


Ansys 11 and Ansys CFX


on Windows is planned to
be removed in June 2011

available only on Mosaic Linux.

COMSOL
on Windows is planned to be removed in June 2011

available only on Mosaic Linux.

Abaqus

on Windows is planned to be removed in June 2011

available only on Mosaic Linux.

ANSA on Windows is pla
nned to be removed in June 2011

available only on Mosaic Linux.

Cadence SPB
on Windows is planned to be removed in June 2011

available only on Mosaic Linux.

CPlex Ample
on Windows is planned to be removed in June 2011

available only on Mosaic Linux.

EMA
CS
on Windows is planned to be removed in June 2011

available only on Mosaic Linux.

Ensight
on Windows is planned to be removed in June 2011

available only on Mosaic Linux.

Exa Powerviz
on Windows is planned to be removed in June 2011

available only on
Mosaic Linux.

Intel Fortran Compiler
on Windows is planned to be removed in June 2011

available only on Mosaic Linux.

Labview
on Windows is planned to be removed in June 2011

available only on Mosaic Linux.

Maple

on Windows will be removed in June 2011
-

available only on Mosaic Linux.

Mathematica
on Windows is planned to be removed in June 2011

available only on Mosaic Linux.

Matlab
on Windows is planned to be removed in June 2011

available only on Mosaic Linux.

Mentor Graphics
on Windows is planned to

be removed in June 2011

available only on Mosaic Linux.

ModelSim
on Windows is planned to be removed in June 2011

available only on Mosaic Linux.

Star CCM


on Windows is planned to be removed in June 2011

available only on Mosaic Linux.

Tecplot
on Wind
ows is planned to be removed in June 2011

available only on Mosaic Linux.

The GIMP
on Windows is planned to be removed in June 2011

available only on Mosaic Linux.

VIM
on Windows is planned to be removed in June 2011

available only on Mosaic Linux.

Xili
nx WebPack
on Windows is planned to be removed in June 2011

available only on Mosaic Linux.






Products or Application Projects that need to be addressed:

a.

LabView on Windows

b.

Cygwin on Windows

c.

Decision Tools 5.5

d.

Adams patch

e.

Netbeans Windows

f.

Latex issue w
ith performance needs addressed

g.

LS
-
Dyna license needs installed (we are using URC)

h.

Implement the 30 days expiration notice when accounts are about to expire






* These packages are used by different departments and we should reach out at CFAC to make the
m aware of the coming upgrade.




Jason Edgecombe:

Comp time: 2 hours


Done:



Analyzed 5 days of Web server logs. No PHP crashes after the PHP APC was removed.



Changed mysql root password on Chen’s test server



Discussed Ganglia system monitoring with Will G
ortney. Gave an overview of system resources.



Discussed Labview time travelling files in /tmp with Raven for knowledgebase article



Reset WebPE course for Dr. Lawton



Installed .htaccess file into Dr. Sherlock’s account to fix character encoding issue per Da
ve Whisler



Removed the PHP APC module from the Linux web servers to fix PHP crashes



Analyzed the web server logs for PHP crashes. None found after APC was removed.



Fixed mod_security rules for the Mosaic web sites. Needs to be deployed.



Upgraded the lxs po
ol and computer server to the YFS openafs client to address system hangs.



Set up two test file servers in VM’s for the YFS fileserver testing. Moved my user volume to the unstable server for testing.

Moved a couple of non
-
critical volumes to the staging se
rver. ITS granted firewall access to these machines for AFS access.



Ticket 8367
-

Troubleshot an HFSS license issue causes by Labview leaving time travelling files in /tmp



Ticket 8355


solved Synopsys issue



Worked with user to deal with Cadence support fo
r Encounter 10



Solved a Cadence crashing issue over NX. The 75dpi fonts must be installed. Notified users in tickets & professors



Discussed cheap storage with Dr. Uddin. Discounted AFs space was not viable because of a lack of backup. Decided to use a Dro
b
o instead.



Created a principal on the test KDC for windows 7 testing.



Troubleshot an eadvising login error. Traced the problem to an SSL certificate error on the ITS side. Worked with ITS to get
the new SSL certificate
and install it on the Linux web serve
rs.



Verified that Cfd
-
ace was removed on Linux



Requested ITS removed the firewall access for the old Solaris web server.



Granted a user access to ncjets web space per Dr. Brizendine



Informed ITS and Jack that we don’t need the extra SSL certificated for
www.coe.uncc.edu

and secure.coe.uncc.edu



Temporarily reduced the web server pool to 2 servers. Monitoring things to see if they can be permanently removed.



Ticket 8398 & 8401
-

Helped Andrew V and Rodney to fix a netwo
rk issue on ls
-
me2 which was causing license issues with Ensight, Ansa, and others.



Answered a user’s question about Linux servers available for running big Ls
-
dyna jobs.



Found Labview media and provided it to Bradlee for installation on Linux



Projects:


Migrating our infrastructure from Solaris to Linux:



File Servers:



1.

Terry is migrating the volumes. Plan to be done by May 2011

2.

Migrate Linux fileserver to YFS RPM’s


Planned for summer. Separate from RHEL5.6 update.

3.

Update File servers to RHEL 5.6 with
latest patches



Web Server migration off Solaris:

(Solaris server is off. Monitoring and fixing Linux issues)

1.

End goal: 2 Linux web servers, load balanced;


2 Linux test servers.

2.

5 Linux web servers currently. Disable the three extra (coe
-
web3, coe
-
web4, c
oe
-
web5) on April 28. Ask ITS to remove them from the pool on
May 10.** will only do this if performance without APC is acceptable. Three web servers disabled.

3.

Fix mod_security rules for Mosaic web site


April 28


done. Ready to deploy

4.

Update Web server
s to RHEL5.6 with latest patches.

5.

Monitoring the web servers, review logs for any odd errors that can be indicative of an issue


ongoing

6.

Investigate load spikes that might be related to livehelp.

7.

Investigate how to use the PHP APC module without segfaults
.



Printing migrated off Unix:

1.

Plan to have this done by end of summer.

2.

Set up a Linux print server test by May 30



Back End file servers support (VLDB, Kerberos) migrated off Unix:

1.

Plan to have this done in the summer.



Oracle servers migrated off Unix:

1.

Plan

to have this done in Spring 2012



MySQL Serves migrated off Unix

1.

Plan to have this done in Summer of 2012



Provide training and documentation for the college on Linux.
-

ongoing



Plan for the coming week:



Fix ganglia display to split hosts into groups



Depl
oy Fix for mod_security rules for Mosaic web site



Get specs for Dr. Hargrove’s LAMP server



Prepare for RHEL5.6 upgrade



Work on Linux print server


Plans for April:



Prepare for upgrade of clients and servers

to RHEL 5.6



Set up a test print server without a
ccounting



Work with ITS to get Bigfix on at least one Linux workstation



Plans for May:



Upgrade to RHEL 5.6 on clients and server between semesters (no boot media change)



Upgrade sqlplus (oracle driver) on Linux



Port Solaris printer accounting to Linux




Dave Whisler:

-------------------


Mosaic



Attended weekly staff meeting

Resolved Mosaic user account issues, disk quota, etc.

Meeting regarding UNCC template and issues QA with QA team from the WAC

Getting Crystal trained on Joomla


getti
ng her up to speed, answering her questions

Upgraded my laptop from Firefox 3.6.x to Firefox 4.0

Upgraded my laptop from IE 8 to IE 9

Learning new features of both browsers

Testing our Joomla and WordPress sites with using IE9 and Firefox 4


UserDB




Working issue with a Mosaic account for a visiting scholar in ECE.


DeviceDB



Checked to make sure Janet Baker and Sara Watson can use COEConnect



Gave them info on how to use it from home to remote into their offic
e machine.


UNCC template



Ran university template content QA tool on the following sites below and fixed the syntax “errors”



COE, Mosaic, PCS, newsletter, MAPS, FLC,

CPM, EPIC, INES, SEEM, CLLES, NCRST, SMART,

SRDESIGN, WI
SE, IDEAS, CEE, ECE, MEES, Motorsports, SPART, Leadership, ET

Asked the WAC committee to scan all of our sites for issues, so that we can be officially “compliant”


COE



Deleted all of the registration data from the webform for Discover Engi
neering per Karina


EAO/IDEAS



Deleted all of the registration data from the webform for the BioEnergy Symposium per Wade



Removed a couple of fields from the IUCRC SIBS workshop registration form per Wade.



Did

QA syntax site cleanup of ideas website


ECE



Gave Gina guidance about ECE faculty profiles, personal websites, WordPress, etc..


SEEM



Changed menu item and article name from curriculum to Plan of Study per the Dean


ET




Deleted Dr. Coowar’s faculty profile from ET site as she has retired.



Cleaned up syntax “errors” on ET site shown by QA tool


WordPress



Sent Dr. Pando and Dr. Raquet and Terry Xu info on setting up their WP sites
.



Created WP sites and sent them info on it for:


Dr. Zheng, Dr. Sleiti, Dr. Wei, Gary Wilson, Stuart Smith and others



New version of WordPress 3.1.1


downloaded it and researching features/fixes in it



Upgr
aded our WordPress network from 3.0.1 to 3.1.1.





Upgraded several of our WordPress plugins


AdminDB



Worked issue with Faculty member accessing AdminDB


PHPSupport

Waiting on Sandeep and Andrew S. to test my two optimized
schemas for PHPSupport


MySQL



Continued conversion of all databases and their tables from latin1 to utf8 character set



Looking at the new features/benefits of MySQL version 5.5 and researching the migration path to it


Jooml
a

New maint release of 1.5.x series (1.5.23).


Downloaded it and upgraded a couple of beta sites to it.



Will upgrade all of the production sites sometime next week from 1.5.21 to 1.5.23

Looking at the new features/benefits of Joomla version 1.6 and res
earching the migration path to it

Checking all of our Joomla extensions to see which ones are already compliant with Joomla 1.6


Google Calendar



Watching issue with Google calendar



Terry Rhodes:




Worked issue with mws930 in
Smith 225 Lab




Moved mws205 in CARC 161 (Visualization lab) from podium to table



in room for student use. We supplied keyboard, mouse and monitor for



this setup. This was for Shenen Chen




Upgraded

computer system for Jane Stewart in Duke 315




Installed local printer and scanner support for Jane Stewart in Duke 315




Replaced defective hard drive in lws33 in Woodward 467 Lab




Reinstalled Mosaic Linux on lws33

in Woodward 467




Rebuilt lws70/mws1170 dual mode machine in Woodward 237 Lab



because of corrupt Linux OS




Worked issue with mws807 in Smith249 Lab




Upgraded computer system for Mike Moss in Smith 1
36




Installed local printer support for Mike Moss in Smith 136




Unpacked and registered 5 Optiplex 980 systems to be built for



Faculty/Staff upgrades




Picked up Optiplex 780SFF from PCS to be built

as Mosaic for



Dr Matthew Whelan




Completed data migration from fs
-
sm3 to Linux AFS Fileservers.



This completes the data migration in Smith Building. fs
-
sm3 will continue



to run to supply print
services until they are migrated to Linux




Building volumes and mounts in AFS as requested




Replicated volumes as requested by Mosaic Staff




Working to perform normal job duties




Performed weekly AFS
backups to tape




Working to reorganize storage rooms



Vacation:


April 12





May 16
-

20





Sept


6
-

9





Oct


10
-

14





Nov


21
-

23





Dec 19
-

23



Rodney Dyer:

week endin
g 4/10/11:


*


Found issue with BTSync process capability with rolling out more than



one VM image.


Performed some debugging on the Bittorrent "seeder"



servers.


The issue appears to be with the Aria2c Bittorrent client.



Will need more time to wor
k on this issue.


I have no time frame for



a solution.


*


Discussion and research about Google Docs and Google Office Connector.


*


Ticket #8376, some preliminary investigation of why USB drives in



Smith229 don't work.


Trouble with Apple iMacs aga
in.


*


Ticket #8398, a problem with Ensight application leads to issue with



the "ls
-
me2" license server not functioning.


Worked the Jason and



Andrew to look at the issue and fix it.


A second net adapter used



for the USB concentrator was incorre
ctly set with a gateway address.



We have no idea how this happened, and did not spend time



investigating the issue.


*


More Windows 7 work with Nathan.


Nothing substantial to report.



We were having trouble with auto AD domain membership on the c
lient



during the Win7 build.


This was not resolved, we have fallen back



to a secondary plan.


This was/is taking a lot of time to test.


*


More issues fixing Mosaic XP machines that have a "grey" background



on the logon screen.


Tickets #8393, m
ws1065, and #8387, mws105



Ticket #8370, mws575


*


Emails about EMPro and licensing with Andrew.


*


Response about AutoCAD products licensing for BIM.


*


Still tracking issues with random machine reboots.


Setup mws470



for a full crash dump of the
kernel so that we can try and identify



what is causing the issue.


Waiting for the machine to crash again.



Added the new machine to the list of rebooting machines.



mws563,
-
, PRIMARY, Smith 310, Dave Murphy, Dell OptiPlex 760



Also looked at:


m
ws471,
-
, PRIMARY, Duke 328, Wendy Meier, Dell



OptiPlex 755.


Seems to be a device driver issue.


More suspicion



for Trend Micro or ATI graphics drivers as cause of problem.



Installed Windows debugging SDK on a test machine in my office to



exam
ine the minidumps that occur from the crashes.


No immediate



information was gained as to what the cause might be.


*


Discussion about changing Trend Micro AV scan times.


*


Outlook issues with AutoLogon password entry caused by ITS Exchange



server

problems.


*


Ticket #8379: Roaming profile issue
-

John Hinson, some comments.


*


Some reading about Intels new 10 core CPUs.


Potential for use in



VM'ing on the server side to help with machine pool.


*


Ticket #8345
-

Microsoft Excel Freezes.


Long

discussion and reply



on how TAs should analyze profile size issues on Mosaic.


*


Disk quota issue on Dr. Nasipuri's account.


Helped identify what



data in his account was using all his quota.


His quota was



apparently "increasing", but actually
it was because Outlook was



configured for offline storage.


*


Fixed ETAP 7.5 license server issue by restarting the license server.


*


Problem of XP build on Dual
-
Mode Linux machine mws1101.


Comments



to Jason.


*


Found Trend Micro updating some p
arts of the AV engine in the



background of our XP machines.


The status tray icon changed and



the machine was running very poorly for about a minute.


*


Comment on fix for Ted Jarrell's AutoCAD problems.


*


Some web research on how to get MathType
and Microsoft Equation



Editor to work together under Word.


No solution found.


*


Rebuild of mws169,
-
, PRIMARY, Woodward 210A, Asis Nasipuri,



Dell OptiPlex 755 to fix issues that Armando saw he was having



in Excel, Word, etc.


*


Status report,
and Tuesday staff meeting.




Armando Castaneda:



Close Mosaic tickets (1,800 plus closed to date)



Meet with PCS to discuss workload/issues



Opened labs



Met with John Clark concerning recent work performance which resulted in a written warning



Installed Toby

Rufty’s Palm device



Requested quote for new flatbed scanner f or Duke 242



Received approval for move into Smith 249.


I have communicated with Dan Rowe, Drew Averitt and Amanda Caudle so we may start the process of
making this a July project



Provided Jac
k with items that I will oversee for this project



Working on Newsletter



Provided Mike Hermann with Graduation Promotion file to be put on the digital displays



Staff meeting



Coordinated electrical to add a junction box for the Camera in Cameron 213



Provide
d TA’s with new lab schedules



Communicated with networking to have the camera in Cameron 213 connected in the closet



Resolved Patty Tolley’s NetWare issue



Communicated with Greg Kish that his crew is not doing their job at night.


I made him aware the I h
ave reviewed the camera footage in Woodward 237



Updated the MOTD



Created special accounts for IDEAS members



Resolved several door access issues



Following up with Larry Lane to have the rear rim on COE7 replaced.


Waiting for Larry to return to work next w
eek.



Followed up with Stanley Truelove concerning the air pressure in Cameron 213.


They have ordered a vent that will be installed over the door to
alleviate the pressure



Followed up with Amanda concerning the sign for the Smith 3
rd

floor corridor.


The v
endor sent the sign with the wrong color of green.


The vendor will
send another sign by Tuesday



Requested a quote for signage for Cameron 213 to make students aware on the 1
st

floor that another lab is available to them for use



Installed the fuser assembl
y on the HP Color printer in Smith 220 (saved $75.00)



Followed up with Kyunda McKnight from safety concerning the niche area outside of Smith 249.


She has approved our request to convert it into a
laptop work area



Approved TA time sheets



Roamed on Wednesd
ay




Sean Desgraves:


Weekly report for the week of: 4/4/11



Went to Mosaic Staff Meeting on Tuesday



Monitoring and working on Mosaic and PCS tickets and Work Orders



Monitoring cameras, Live Help and Nagios



Processing print quota requests as they come in



S
till in progress



Following up on a stolen laptop reported by Churlzu Lim; scanned the Quote and PO, received by Jack, and forwarded this
information to ITS as proof that Absolute LoJack was purchased with the system, waiting to hear back from them that t
he laptop has reported in to the
Absolute server;
informed Churlzu of the following information:

-

Contacted Absolute to report the issue


LoJack was purchased with laptop from Lenovo but it hasn’t reported to the server.


I was given a case
number:
7595621
377
.

-


(NEW) Requested another update from Mike Carr on the status of the stolen laptop


did not hear from Mike on an update this week



Still in Progress:


Duke Camera Project for Scott Smith (Status):

-

Opened up a ticket with ITS (No. 151953) because camera
s were not receiving power from the switch; worked with Brian Fruits and provided him
with a POE adapter kit for his testing purposes


will work with Armando next week on the requesting a quote from facilities to install power
outlets for the cameras; Bri
an also said that the POE adapters were not approved for installation in the network closet;


will investigate getting the
cost install power outlets for each camera next week

-

Gave Jack a tour of completed camera installations in Duke (125, 217, 219, 236 a
nd 240)

-

Went with Armando to meet with Facilities to do walkthrough of the Duke Camera project and surveyed all the locations where p
ower needed to be
installed; received a quote for work

-

Sent schedule to Jack for project completion and when we expect to h
ave the following items completed:

1.

Electrical work completion date


FM is working to have this done by Wednesday, April, 6
th
.

2.

(NEW) Classroom Support will connect the cameras to the new power outlets


by Friday, April 8
th
.

3.

PC set up date


April 12
th

(I

will be out of the office from April 7
th

to April 11
th
) cushion period for FM to finish the power installation.

4.

Documentation and training date


April 12
th

to 15
th

with Thomas Koch as the primary user.

5.

Acceptance and Test period date


2 week period (fro
m April 15
th

to April 29
th
) including any possible changes to camera settings.

6.

Turn over date


April 29
th

is the expected completion date for this project.

-

(NEW) Received word from Bob Smith (with Facilities) Electrical work was completed

-

(NEW) Working wi
th Classroom Support to arrange for the cameras to be connected to the new power outlets (added this into the above schedule)

all but three were done


the other three will be finished next early week



In Progress:


Reviewed the PCS Competency Assessment fo
r Austin Matthews; provided him with the explanation of what needs to be changed


received Austin’s updated answers


plan to go over these next week when I return



Working with Kelley Shealy in the Levine Scholars Program:

-

Met with Kathleen Mishler of the

Levine/Merit Scholarship program to register her laptop with PCS and share with her all the services that are
available to her from Mosaic and PCS



Assisted Dan Rowe with order a laptop with specific accessories


a waiting for the order to arrive



Followed

up with Jeff and Wendy Meier on getting connected to COEConnect from home; they were able to connect via the older version of

COEConnect but not COEConnect 2;


PCS is investigating this issue but hasn’t found any reason why COEConnect 2 won’t connect so f
ar; additional
testing is under way



Following up
again

with Mike Carr in behalf of John Hildreth for the campus version of Revit and Navisworks Autodesk products


still waiting on
Mike Carr to me when it will be available



Provided support for Dave Murphy’
s laptop (malware issue)


Closed WO #2100



Followed up with Keith Jung to find out when Endnote would be available from the ITS Software Downloads page


waiting to hear back from Keith



Followed up with Helene Hilger on a home computer issue (“freezing” wh
en using COEConnect) and a Mosaic Outlook problem


turns out her home
computer is running fine; her Mosaic computer was having trouble with Outlook which I was able to fix for her



Provided Jack with ArcGIS software discs and licensing information



Provide
Sara Watson with information on how to run COEConnect 2 from home



Followed up with Robin Moose on trouble she’s having with using COEConnect from home


the issue is stemming from her Mosaic computer


tracking this issue in a ticket



Followed up with Claud
e Hargrove’s request for help with purchasing a server; informed Ron Sass of the details per our conversation



Met with Jack about the HP flyers


scanned the new flyer for it to placed on the PCS website



Produced an article for the Newsletter “Mosaic Hosts

Web Sites for ENGR Students Orgs”; submitted it to Armando for review



Notified Michael Sullivan (Lenovo rep) of a missing order made by Lydia Lawson in ME



PCS delivered loaner Mac laptops to the NinerTech store (to Chris Epting)



Was out of the office on T
hursday and Friday







Andrew Verner:


-
Re
-
attempted installation of Autodesk Revit on Mosaic Virtual XP; now on hold due to licensing issues.

-
Worked on packaging SolidWorks 2010
-
2011 for Mosaic
; stopped due to decision to wait and see if 2011
-
2012 comes out in time.

-
Looked at eAdvising login issues (eventually resolved by Jason).

-
Updated COEConnect 2 to remove hardcoded
www.coe.uncc.edu

links.

-
Updated A
gilent license file with temporary EMPro license.

-
Investigated ls
-
me2 issues with Jason and Rodney.


Travis Edwards:



Update Mosaic Windows Software Schedule



Installed missing libraries for Pro E/Wildfire 5 for Dr. Raquet



Installed and researched ArcGIS in

virtual machine



Installed the following in Mosaic Virtual XP to make it as up
-
to
-
date as possible:

o

ArcGIS Desktop 9.3

o

ArcGIS Workstation 9.3

o

Adobe Reader X

o

Adobe Flash Player 10.2

o

Microsoft Security Patches for January, February, and March



Created virtual

image and released via BitTorrent.


We have not yet released an image to specific machines or had multiple images in production yet, so
this process was changed.



Copied FB
-
Multipier license file out to AFS



Looked for GIT download files for Jason for the n
ew student worker



Troubleshooted VM Image issues.


Image would not complete download.


Rodney suggests it may be the seeder server dealing with a larger piece size
than we’ve had to in the past (due to size of image), and he has taken over the troubleshoot
ing effort.



Investigated Ansys 11 software removal on Windows


will be removed after semester is over



Finishing basic functionality and bugs in ACL Manager.




Nicholas Wale:

Finishing up website cleanup

Training Crystal Barton



Mitesh Peshave:

Fixed bug
s and started working on the pending milestones in printer management app




Nathan Hatley:

Projects:



Ubuntu

VM using VirtualBox as the VM engine.

o

Scripts still need a little work for ‘future proofing’; will be taken care of at a later point.

o

Ubuntu VM wil
l be released once the Android SDK installer is verified working by Bradlee.



Webserver for Steve Patterson

o

Met with Steve Patterson Tuesday (3/8).



Have until end of spring semester to setup server with new version of Alfresco.



Dual Monitor Dual Mode

o

Worked

through varying methods to achieve this; all seem to have serious issues that may be able to be resolved.



Windows 7

o

Learning PowerShell.



Rewriting Ubuntu VM script in PowerShell so Rodney may compare the syntax to its batch equivalent.

o

Creating the base e
nvironment that Rodney and I will be using going forward.

o

Will implement a setup very similar to our current build, though with possibility for modification down the road to improve e
fficiency.



(on hold) Need to create a WinPE disc that will be used to sta
rt a build.



(done) Setting up the environment to create/modify WinPE images.



Rodney’s utilities will need to be recompiled as native 64bit applications as win32 support is not included in WinPE.

o

Rodney has stated the recompile should be trivial.



(done) Cre
ating unattended files that automate the installation of Windows 7.

o

Resolved issues with automatic domain joining by performing the join after the installation.



Kerberos logon working with test kdc; will need to be migrated to real kdcs at some point.

o

Had
to rebuild the domain several times with different names to resolve issues.


Snapshots with VMware made this less
painful.



Working on roaming user profiles with AFS and Kerberos.

o

Studying BigFix as a possible administration utility



Attended a meeting with
ITS to learn more on BigFix.



Ameya Rahane

I finished the work on EMPro. I am done writing and testing all but one of


Xilinx wrappers, I have to now put them in their place.

I am working on the script to set Firefox the default browser in Thunderbird, ha
ving some understanding issues.

Also working on the application audits, not finished it yet.



I might not be in time for the meeting today, I have a meeting with my Graduate Advisor after 315 and might be a bit late, bu
t will be coming to office as soon
as
I am done.


Sandeep Andre

I was testing the PHPSupport and fixing the bugs.


Mark Plover:

------------------

I was able to finish the Event Log Management page. This page took much more work than anticipated and set the project behind

schedule. It is no
w caught up
and the only thing left to do with the page is to fix the bugs that are presented through testing. The next step to take is t
o begin work on the Report menu.
Hopefully this milestone will be completed within the projected time period…


Bradlee
Speice

----------------


Ubuntu VM / Android
-

Work being done, script should be finished up at this point. Still waiting on results of testing from Jack and Alex, though I

have heard
back that Jack did have a successful run this weekend.


Firefox 4
-

Got
the supporting library fix figured out. Turns out we can run firefox 4 under Linux by replacing one of the libraries at run
-
time, so I'm now
figuring out how to make that work in the wrapper script. However for the time being, the largest portion of the wo
rk is done with that.


ATI Drivers
-

Got the drivers released to the main mosaic pool. All new machines built will use those drivers. However, the current machine
s do not have the
new drivers, and I am working on getting a script to fix those as well.


The
re aren't really a lot of topics this week, 99% of the work was towards Firefox and Android, though I will be working on the
Spring 2011 version of Labview
once I get Firefox and Android wrapped up.


Andrew Stein:

---------------


Crystal Barton:

---------
-------------

Week starting April 4


Started work last week.


Learned the basics of Joomla, as well as Wordpress.


Created an Intranet mock
-
up w/ a login page that redirects correctly.


Learned to
use the Git software to pull and commit projects.


Finally,

created a student organization website and looked over Nick’s code for the analytics and graphing
projects.





Jack M. Stein

Assistant Dean and Director of Engineering Computing



William States Lee College of Engineering

University of North Carolina at
Charlotte



224 Cameron Research Center

9201 University City Boulevard

Charlotte, NC 28223

jmstein@uncc.edu

704
-
687
-
6625

412
-
848
-
6534 (cell)

704
-
507
-
1916 (Nextel)

704
-
687
-
2352 (fax)





Facebook