Attach 10-28 March 2006

stockingssoyaInternet και Εφαρμογές Web

7 Δεκ 2013 (πριν από 3 χρόνια και 8 μήνες)

83 εμφανίσεις

ATTACHMENT 10
CL……. COMMUNITY CARE


-

1

-


MINUTES OF THE ABORIGINAL AND TORRES STRAIT ISLANDER ADVISORY
COMMITTEE
MEETING
HELD IN
GROUND FLOOR MEETING ROOM 3
,

COUNCIL
CHAMBER BUILDING, CIVIC PLACE, PARRAMATTA ON TUESDAY,
2
8

MARCH

200
6

AT
5.4
7

PM

____________________________________________________
_______________


PRESENT


Mr Bruce Gale

in the Chair
,

Ms Marcia Donovan,
Mr Doug Desjardines,

Ms Lyn Leerson,

Mr
Allan Merriman,
Ms Linda McDonald,
Ms June Magrath
, Mr John Robertson, Mr Phil Russo,
Mr Gilson Saunders and Mr David Williams.



IN ATTENDANCE


Vikki King


Manager Social & Community Services,
Lisa Giacomelli


Service Manager
Community Capacity Building, Mr Kevin Brennan


Community Capacity Building Officer, Ms
Sue Pinckham
,

Kevin Thorne


Aboriginal Family Support Officer,
Lana Leslie


Rec
reation
Programs Officer, Ray Leslie


Mt Druitt Community Representative,
Councillor
Paul Barber

and

Steph
en Leslie
-

Committee Secretary.


ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF DHARUG PEOPLE


The Chairp
erson,
Bruce Gale

made reference to the fact that the land upon which t
he
meeting was being held was previously occupied by the Dharug Aboriginal
Community and asked that this acknowledgment be recorded.


APOLOGIES


An apology was received and accepted for the absence of

Anne Castles, Annie Neilson,
Sandy Kitching and Council
lor Maureen Walsh.


WELCOME & INTRODUCTIONS


The Chairperson
Bruce Gale

welcomed everyone to the meeting and
thanked them for
attending

and everyone present introduced themselves and provided details of their
involvement with the Aboriginal Community
.


CON
FLICT OF INTEREST DECLARATION
S


There were no declarations made regarding Conflict of Interest

at this meeting
.


RECREATION PROGRAMS
DURING SCHOOL HOLIDAYS


Lana Leslie


Recreation Programs Officer advised that there were recreation programs
available dur
ing the school holidays for Aboriginal children and that she required contacts as
targeting schools was not working. Further there is a possibility of forming partnerships for
the recreation programs and fitness classes.


She added that there is $20,000 a
vailable for equipment/programs and Committee Member
June Magrath is on the Assessment Sub
-
committee. Lana also advised that she sends
brochures to each Aboriginal family in all Primary Schools in the LGA and was looking for
suggestions to promote the pro
grams. She also mentioned that she runs coaching courses
when funds are available and the opportunity is there for Aboriginal persons to do the
courses.

ATTACHMENT 10
CL……. COMMUNITY CARE


-

2

-



GUEST:
RAY LESLIE
-

ABORIGINAL ELDER
-

MT DRUITT COMMUNITY


Ray Leslie finished school at Arthur Phil
lip High School in 1959. His first job was with Mr
Buntz in Church Street
,

North Parramatta

at Buntz G
arage. During this time in his life Ray
learned to box at the Parramatta Police Boys Club and played football for Northmead. His
father's sisters raised t
heir families in the Parramatta area. Ray Leslie is an Aboriginal Elder
in the Mt Druitt area, where he has been involved for 20 years. He was the first chairperson
to the Daruk Community Controlled Medical Service. Ray has given many years of service
for
Aboriginal
,
Frail, Aged & People with Disability & their Carers. He has been a member of
the Dep
artment
of Housing Aboriginal Advisory Committee for 12 years and is the current
Chairperson in his area.


Ray thanked the committee for
allowing him to address

the meeting and also o
ffered

assistance if required including ideas to assist Aboriginal people generally.


MINUTES


1
1
/0
6

A copy of the report of the Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Advisory Committee
held on
Tuesday
2
8

February

200
6

had been forward
ed with the agenda prior to this
meeting.



Recommendation

(Gil Saunders / June Magrath)


Minutes of the M
eeting of the
Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Advisory
Committee

held on
2
8

February

200
6

be taken as read and confirmed as a true
record of the M
eeting
.


BUSINESS ARISING


1
2
/0
6

Dedication of a Tree
at Lake Parramatta in Memory o
f

The Late Peter Castles

Committee M
ember Allan Merriman advised that
plans are in place to have the
plaque located and fixed so that it cannot be vandalized in the future.


The meeting agreed a new plaque with the same wording as the original
plaque
is

obtained and the matter be monitored

closely

until finalised
.


13/0
6

Preservation and Protection of Heritage Items at Lake Parramatta

At the February meeting
Senior Natur
al R
esources Officer, Phil Murphy advised that
the track had been relocated. Mention was also made of the cave with the kangaroo
drawing and the canoe tree.

Also
Lisa Giacomelli advised that Vikki King was
working the matter through in respect to an Indigeno
us Guide / Ranger at Lake
Parramatta.


Vikki King advised that provision for the employment of an Indigenous Guide /
Ranger at Lake Parramatta had been provided in the 2006/07 Budget and that the
Committee would be updated as this matter is progressed.


Th
e preservation and protection of the Canoe Tree, in particular was discussed. It
was agreed that the Department of Environment be contacted for funding to
preserve and protect the Canoe Tree at Lake Parramatta. It was also mentioned
that Council Grant fu
nds may be used for the above purpose and the maximum
Grant to any one group is $2,000. Further PCC Annual Grants close 28 April 2006
and Sandy Kitching is the ATSI Representative on the Heritage Grants Committee.


ATTACHMENT 10
CL……. COMMUNITY CARE


-

3

-


The overall concern of preserving herita
ge items in the Parramatta LGA / Dharug
Aboriginal Land Council Area was discussed and a copy of the Aboriginal Reference
Heritage Study which lists all the known heritage items will be provided for all
Members of this Committee.


ACTION REQUIRED



Kevin B
rennan

(a)

T
hat
Council investigate
the condition and preservation of the canoe tree

and the Department of Environment be contacted regarding funding
.


(b)

T
hat
, if required,

funding from Council’s Annual Grants

Program

be
sought
.



(c)

Further, that
a copy of
PCC’s
Aboriginal
Cultural

Heritage Study

2003

be
obtained for
Executive

Committee Members.


14
/0
6

Flying of Aboriginal Flag at Rosehill Gardens (STC)

At the February meeting
Stephen Leslie provided and update and advised that this
matter had originally been rai
sed at a meeting
of the committee on 30 September
2003 following previous discussions regarding the protocols for flying the Aboriginal
Flag.

He added that the Lord Mayor had approached the Sydney Turf Club CEO
Michael Kenney during March 2005 and there w
ere apparently no problems
regarding the issue. The matter is now with the General Manager for clarification.


Stephen Leslie advised that Michael Kenny CEO at STC Rosehill Gardens had
agreed to fly the Aboriginal Flag once he had identified a prominent p
lace to fly the
flag.


NOTE:

Stephen Leslie rang Michael Kenny Wednesday 29 March 2006 who
advised that the Aboriginal Flag would be flown at Rosehill Gardens
near where the tote is located
,

which

would
occur immediately
,

and be
flown during the Golden Sli
pper Carnival.


I also mentioned the flying of the Torres Strait Islander Flag. Michael Kenny
indicated that he would consider the request and address the matter at a
later stage.


15
/
0
6

Space for Aboriginal
(Dharug)
Information & Books at
Council

Librar
ie
s

The meeting was informed that Dharug books are not available for borrowing at
Council Libraries as they are located at the Heritage Centre due to the limited
number of copies and the books are not due for reprint.


It was agreed that Council contact Holr
oyd, Baulkham Hills, Auburn Councils
(Councils on Dharug Land) and co
-
ordinate reprints of specific books. It was also
revealed that there could be books available through the Aboriginal History Board of
School Studies and that this avenue should be inves
tigated.


Kevin Brennan advised that following discussions with Library staff that the location
of Aboriginal stock in the Library would be undertaken shortly as space has been
made available for that purpose.


ACTION REQUIRED


Kevin Brennan

That the matt
er be investigated
further in accordance with the issues raised
above
and Council’s Manager Information & Library, Roger Henshaw be
consulted and a report be provided in due course.



ATTACHMENT 10
CL……. COMMUNITY CARE


-

4

-


COUNCIL’S WEBSITE & LETTERHEADS


16/06

This matter was raised following
discussion regarding the flying of the Aboriginal
Flag at Rosehill Gardens and it was considered reasonable that Council’s Website
contain a section for Aboriginal Heritage and that the Aboriginal Flag act as a link on
the website and also have the flag on

correspondence regarding Aboriginal matters
as recognition of Aboriginal Heritage in Parramatta.


Recommendation
: (D
oug Desjardines / Cr Paul Barber)

That the Aboriginal Flag be added to the FRONT PAGE
of the PCC Website
and that the Flag be the link to i
nformation relevant to Aboriginal & Torres
Strait Islanders in the Parramatta LGA.


ACTION REQUIRED


SuePinckham

Th
at
the display of the Aboriginal Flag on Council letterheads

when
correspondence pertains to Aboriginal matters
, be investigated further
.


F
EEDBACK FROM COUNCIL


1
7/
06

Councillor Paul Barber provided the meeting with details of the Free Shuttle Bus
Service for Parramatta which will be funded from parking meter income.


He also advised that Council Annual Grants Program closes 28 April 2006 and

that
Grants from the Community Development Support Expenditure
Scheme
(CDSE)
closes 5 May 2006 with funds coming from the Registered Clubs.


Guidelines for Community Development Support Expenditure Scheme and
PCC Annual Grants Program for 2006 are attache
d for information and record
purposes for Committee Members.



Attachment 1


Councillor Barber also provided details
regarding the Exhibition
of
the Draft
Quarry
Branch
Creek

Maintenance and Rehabilitation Master Plan.



NAIDOC WEEK CELEBRATIONS FOR 2006


1
8
/0
6

At the
February

Meeting

the following was recorded
:

Sue McDermott provided an update in respect to plans for 2006 and advised that
Parramatta Riverside Theatres had been booked out for 2006 and that NAIDOC
Week would be from Sunday 2 July to Sunday
9 July 2006.

Sue added that
celebrations for 2005 were disappointing and a 2006 proposed program should now
be discussed
. Lake Parramatta and Parramatta Park were put forward as possible
venues with transport being provided by shuttle services.

An Indig
enous Arts
Festival and Flag Raising Event were suggested for 2006.

Allan Merriman provided
ideas and an overview of events and issues confronted in 2005.

A co
-
ordinated effort with other Councils in the area was put forward i.e. Holroyd,
Blacktown, Aubur
n and Baulkham Hills and it was agreed that this concept should
be progressed further.

The 2006 NAIDOC Week Working Party is Mick Darda, Sue McDermott, Lisa
Giacomelli,

Sue Pinckham,
Doug Desjardines, Bruce Gale, Lyn Leerson, June
Magrath, Allan Merriman a
nd Linda McDonald.


Sue Pinckham provided an update and advised that there had been two recent
meetings of the Working Party and then proceeded to summarise the handout
ATTACHMENT 10
CL……. COMMUNITY CARE


-

5

-


provided regarding entertainment

and details of venues. The meeting was also
advised t
hat Holroyd City Council is to hold NAIDOC Week late July 2006.
Attachment 2


ACTION PLAN


Sue Pinckham

(a)

That Council and Council staff be thanked for their effort and support in
co
-
ordinating and funding NAIDOC Week 2006.


(b)

Further, that the next m
eeting of the Working Party be held Tuesday 11
April 2006 at 5.30pm.


AV
AILABILITY OF PARKING FOR COMMITTEE MEMBERS


19
/06

Recommendation

(Phil Russo / Allan Merriman)


That Members of the Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Advisory Committee
be given acc
ess to free parking when attending Advisory Committee or
Working Party Meetings.


GENERAL BUSINESS


20
/06

Bush Food Area Lake Parramatta


Power Point Presentation by Tabatha Timbery
-
Cann, Sydney Metropolitan Catchment Management Authority

The above presen
tation


with Phil Murphy, PCC Supervisor Natural Resources


will be rescheduled.


2
1
/06

Naming of West End Meeting Room


Level 2 Library Building with an Aboriginal
Name
.

The following suggestions were put forward at the meeting


Edna Watson Meeting
Ro
om & Maria Locke Meeting Room.


ACTION REQUIRED


Kevin Brennan

That this matter be listed on the Agenda for consideration at the next meeting.


2
2
/06

Naming of Creek


Joins with Toongabbie Creek

This matter was discussed at length and the following was a
greed.


ACTION REQUIRED


Sue Pinckham

That Blacktown City Council’s Advisory Committee be advised that the
following names for the unnamed creek be considered:

i

Toongagal (1
st

preference)


Local Tribe Name

ii

Kalinda (2
nd

preference)


View or Lookout

i
ii

Bardo Tugra Gori (3
rd

preference)


Fresh Water


2
3
/06

Update Committee Member Contact Details

Committee Members were reminded to provide up to date phone, fax,. Email and
postal contact details.


24/06

Community Networks & Services Database

Committee M
embers were requested to strongly consider people and organisations
that Council could approach for inclusion in a new and comprehensive community
database in the form of a services directory. The meeting was reminded that details
can be obtained at Inter
agency Meetings and passed on to this Committee.


ATTACHMENT 10
CL……. COMMUNITY CARE


-

6

-


25/06

Representative on Heritage Grants Committee

The meeting was informed that Sandy Kitching is the representative.


26/06

Indigenous Social Justice Association Inc.
-

Subscription

Committee Member Doug D
esjardines tabled a letter from the above Association
regarding s
ubscription for the Q
uarterly Newsletter.


ACTION REQUIRED


Sue Pinckham

That 2 copies of the
Indigenous Social Justice Association Inc

Quarterly
Newsletter be obtained


1 for the Library a
nd 1 for the Capacity Building
Team.


27/06

Representative on Heritage Advisory Committee

That Gilson Saunders be nominated as this Committee’s Representative on
the Heritage Advisory Committee and the Heritage Advisory Committee be
consulted regarding app
ointment
.


28/06

National
Sorry Day

The Committee discussed the book of signatures obtained by Council and
forwarded to the NSW Government National Sorry Day Committee and enquired as
to whether or not a Sorry Day Book is available at Council, for people t
o sign.


Site 160
-

Corner of Rooty Hill North & Richmond Road, Plumpton


was discussed
as a site for Sorry Day, instead of Lake Parramatta. It was revealed that Site 160
was off limits and Gil Saunders advised that he would investigate the matter and
re
port back to the next meeting.


ACTION REQUIRED


Sue Pinckham

That the matter be discus
sed at the next NAIDOC Week 2006

Working Party
meeting on Tuesday 11 April. 2006.


29/06

Mt Druitt

Aboriginal Medical Centre

Committee Member David Williams
raised this

matter to make the Committee aware
of circumstances regarding problems associated with medical attention and
treatment of Aboriginal people attending medical centres. He also requested that he
required contacts for ex
-
services people.


30/06

Aboriginal W
omen Birthing Places



Attachment
3

Committee Member June Magrath raised this issue and Lyn Leerson tabled an
email regarding this matter.


It was agreed that this matter be discussed further and listed on the next
Agenda.


ITEM FOR NEXT AGENDA


31/06

Loca
l Government Aboriginal Network Conference

The Committee agreed that authority be obtained from Council to bid to host
the 2008 Local Government Aboriginal Network Conference.


It was noted that the bid would have to be made at the 2006 Gunnedah
Conference

to be held
later this year and video material and other information
will need to be collected.


ATTACHMENT 10
CL……. COMMUNITY CARE


-

7

-



INFORMATION SHARING


1.

Holy Family Centre


Richmond TAFE

Linda McDonald advised that a free Computer Course for Aboriginal & Torres
Strait Islanders was ava
ilable at Richmond TAFE and following the successful
completion of the course a Laptop will be presented.


2.

Youth Week 2006


1
st

to 9
th

April 2006

Flyer for Youth Week was distributed at the meeting.


APOLOGIES FOR NEXT MEETING


Vikki King and Lisa Giac
omelli advised that they would be on Annual Leave and
therefore unable to attend the next meeting.



N
EXT MEETING

5
.30 pm

Tuesday,
1
8

April

200
6

Ground Floor Meeting Rooms

Council Chamber Building

Civic Place, Parramatta


The meeting
concluded

at
8
.
00

pm.