Automation Committee October 18, 2006 Tulare County Library, Visalia Minutes - DRAFT, rev.

snortfearΔιακομιστές

4 Δεκ 2013 (πριν από 3 χρόνια και 6 μήνες)

101 εμφανίσεις

Automation Committee

October 18
, 2006

Tulare County Library, Visalia

Minutes

-

DRAFT
, rev.


Present
:

Tony Arellano, Diana Baker, Vikki Cervantes, Judi Hill
,

Deb Janzen,
Jacque
Meriam, Tanya Russell,
Nila Stearns,
John Taylor
, Mary Ellen Tyckoson.

Also Pre
sent
:

Keith Boettcher
,

David Rodriguez,

Kathleen Smith
, Georgia Wages
.



I
.

The meeting was called to order

at
10:0
4

AM

by
Mary Ellen Tyckoson.



II
.

Adoption of Agenda


The agenda was adopted

by consent
.


III.

Comments from the
Public
-

None.


IV
.

The

minutes of
September 20
,
200
6

were

approved

as
corrected
.



V
.

Projects for Discussion and Action


a.
Wireless install process (attachment)
-

B
oettcher/Rodriguez


Rodriguez reviewed the status of our WiFi testing. The equipment for the
test is expected a
ny day. It will allow us to limit the amount of bandwidth
available to an individual user and to all wireless users at the location. We
are also testing
the LPT:O
ne module for printing from wireless devices. It
will require Microsoft's IIS running at the

branch.
Tyckoson reported that
due to the purchases required for the Horizon 8.x upgrade System may be
short spending authorization from the County to purchase much network
equipment this year, including equipment for wireless installations.

Tyckoson rev
iewed changes to the draft policy on WiFi, primarily a
clarification on browser
-
based filtering choices and
the option for any
member to install a separate Internet connection and provide wireless off
the SJVLS network.


Adoption of the policy was moved by

Fresno, seconded by Coalinga and
passed unanimously. The policy will go to Administrative Council on
November 3rd for final approval.



b
.
Windows 2003
-

Rodriguez


Rodriguez reported that there are no WindowsNT servers left on the
network. The next st
ep will be to convert the Active Directory to the 2003
schema
.

After that system can start building the OUs that will allow
jurisdictions greater access to administrative functions for their
users/computers. System is also looking to add additional domai
n
controllers.


c
.
Reports from CODI
-

Tyckoson, Boettcher, Janzen, Smith, Wages


Tyckoson began the presentation with a
slideshow

on the Horizon 8.x
circulation system
. Everyone who was at CODI helped interpret the
slides. Numerous presentations from th
e conference have been placed
in
the

S:/aHorizon/horizon81/ folder. Security on 8.x is very granular and will
require a lot of thought to apply and every user will probably need to be
recreated. A discussion on the audit trail that will be available
in 8
.x

and
the continuing problem of a supervisor logging in all terminals as
themselves was discussed. Horizon 8.x will include the audit trail for
borrower records as well as bibliographic records. Smith described
sessions she attended on RFID.


d
. Status
of current projects


Rodriguez reported that the new version of LPT:One does not require a
postscript printer, which should save members some money when buying
new printers. Kevin Nelson is working on the documentation for the new
version. On November 2nd

Fresno will begin testing SIP authentication
with CybraryN in live branches.
Right now SIP will only check valid
barcode and pin# to authenticate. Additional rules defining a valid user,
e.g. amount owed, would require an additional SIP instance and lic
enses.

We do not know what kind of load a SIP server can handle so we will be
watching closely as locations are added.


Boettcher reported on network installation status. We have several new
switches that need to be configured and sent out to branches.

Kern River
Valley branch in Kern is still a problem install and a lot of email is going
back and forth trying to get it resolved. There is still some work to do in
other locations setting up VLANs. LiveNetwork is an open project, as we
are still having
problems with it failing to discover the entire network.
AntiVirus seems to be working well with live update. System needs
libraries to leave the PC at the branch that functions as the antivirus
"server" at the Ctrl+ALT+Del prompt. This allows the server

to grab the
update and allows System staff to "wakeup" a shutdown PC in order to
work on it.


RPA

is an open project. Smith reported that the scheduled restarts are
very disruptive at the branches. System sees these as taking RPA out of
commission for 1
-
2 minutes, while branches are reporting that it is
unavailable for as much as 10 minutes. This needs to be investigated.


Tyckoson reported that WebReporter still isn't installed in the correct
location, but since they took Narrowcast offline it seems to

be usable. She
has escalated the problem to our library relations manager at SD. There
will probably be 3 PC orders this year to accommodate the large number
of
PCs being

purchased.
T
iming will likely be early November, January,
and March. Everyone agr
eed that even though floppy drives are no longer
standard equipment on a lot of PCs, that the public still needs these
devices. Member were advised that they would be better served at this
point replacing barcode readers that require PS/2 connections rath
er than
continuing to purchase PCs with the special order PS/2 card and
keyboard.

There will be a lot of clean
-
up again with the upgrade to
H
orizon 8.x.
Tyckoson will start sending out task lists soon. Smith asked about the
downtime for the 7.3.4 upgrade

scheduled for November 8th. Tyckoson
will ask the support person who will do the upgrade, but she estimates that
Horizon will be down a few hours and that HIP, which will need to run the
mass indexer, will

be
unavailable
for

several hours
after which

res
ults will
be incomplete the remainder of the day as it
slowly builds the indexes.
She reminded everyone that this is a minor upgrade to support 13 digit
ISBN numbers, which become mandatory on January 1, 2007.
Smith will
be drafting a message for Fresno
users on what to expect the day of the
upgrade and will share it with the other system members. Rodriguez
mentioned that System is working on ways to facilitate manual installed of
the upgraded client for cases where the automatic push from the server
doe
s not work.


VI
.

Reports
-


None


VII.


Agenda building for next meeting
-

The next meeting will be Wednesday,
December 6,

200
6

in Visalia at 10am.
Budget planning will be on the agenda.


VIII. Announcements

-

Tyckoson reminded everyone that she will be
out Tuesday
through Friday next week.




There
being

no further busines
s

the meeting was adjourned

at
11:59 AM
.




S:
\
aAdministration
\
Committees
\
Automation_Committee
\
Minutes
\
automation_Oct_18_2006_minutes.doc