Library and Media Directors Council Meeting: Summer, July 20-21, 2011 Everett Community College Gray Wolf Hall, Room 166/168

olivinephysiologistInternet και Εφαρμογές Web

5 Δεκ 2013 (πριν από 4 χρόνια και 27 μέρες)

136 εμφανίσεις


1

Library and Media Directors Council Meeting: Summer, July 20
-
21, 2011

Everett Community College Gray Wolf Hall, Room 166/168

DRAFT

AGENDA

/ MINUTES


Wednesday, July 20, 2011

TOPIC
/
PRESENTER

NOTES


Elluminate URL for
recording of
meeting


Attendees:
Tom Bates, Mindy McCormick Coslor, Maggie Stuart,

Lauri Kram, Sharon Simes. Sharon Winters, Jennifer Dysart, Eric Palo, Sue Gallaway,
Melissa McBurney, M
ary Carr, Joan Weber, Jeanne Leader, Paula Dougherty, Connie Broughton, Leslie Potter
-

Henderson, Doug Ammons, Andrew
Hersh
-
Tudor, Michelle Bagley


Ellulminate/Collaborate Attendees: Jeff Martin, Kir
sten Furl, & Rand Simmons
,
Stacy Prest, Sue Gallaway, Su
e Schub, Tim Fuhrman


https://sas.elluminate.com/p.jnlp?psid=2011
-
07
-
20.1308.M.CD7F089EFC147ABCD2E8601ADD602B.vcr&sid=2008170

Welcome a
nd
Introductions:

Sharon Simes,
Jeanne Leader
Jennifer Dysart

Meeting called to order by Chair, Sharon Simes; Simes thanked Jeanne for hosting the summer LMDC meeting. Leader welcomed th
e group to Everett
and shared meeting logistic information. Simes in
troduced and
welcomed Connie

Broughton, Maggie Stuart, Leslie Potter
-
Henderson, Tom Bates, and
LMDC Executive Committee:


Monika Luce
,
C
hair

E
lect, Mary Ann Goodwin, Secretary, Andrew Hersh
-
Tudor, Treasurer. Thanked nominating
committee, Michelle Bagley, J
ennifer Dysart and Deb Gilchrist for their work.


Spring Meeting
minutes

Mary Ann Goodwin

DRAFT
110505_LMDC_minutes.docx

Goodwin asked for corrections to draft minutes. Simes Sharon called for a motion to accept the spring minutes “as is;” Moved

by Ja
ne Blume,
seconded by Melissa McBurney. Approved.

Treasurer’s Report:
Andrew Hersh
-
Tudor




Andrew reviewed major expenses and indicated full report was available on the LMDC wiki

Washington State
Library Update:
Rand Simmons, Jeff
Martin, and Kirsten

Furl

Simmons introduced Jeff Martin and Martin introduced Kirsten Furl. Furl has worked

with the Washington

Rural Heritage project and recently
assumed responsibility as the Online Resources Coordinator position at WSL and is now manager /coordinator of
the WSL social media and AskWA
projects.


Furl: AskWA is popular service.


One challenge is that with lots of patrons and few librarians working, especially this
summer;

it is hard to provide
adequate staff to meet demand. Furl asked the group to encoura
ge librarians to schedule more time on AskWa, if possible.


She said most

LMDC
libraries currently participate in AskWa and she hopes to increase number of public library participants. Although she noted
that she works part time,
she also said checks email

frequently, and to contact her if we have questions.

She plans on sharing more about AskWa as she develops more expertise
with the project.




Welcome to
Everett Community
College: Everett CC
Simes introduced Dr. D. Beyer,

EvCC President
. Beyer welcomed all to Everett and noted the “interesting times” present in community colleges and
commented on high enrollments, challenges, facility work including new construction, changes in leadership, and how staff and

faculty are working to
meet n
eeds of all.


2

Library and Media Directors Council Meeting: Summer, July 20
-
21, 2011

Everett Community College Gray Wolf Hall, Room 166/168

DRAFT

AGENDA

/ MINUTES

President Beyer

Beyer asked attendees to introduce themselves.


Washington State
Library Update:
Rand Simmons and
Jeff Martin

Simmons resumed the Washington State Library (WSL) report.

He summarized the WSL budget situation for the new biennium. Expect

a total cut of around $900,000.


The library is not laying off additional staff or
reducing services to meet cuts; expect to cut spending to meet budget target for the current fiscal year. Challenges exist,
though as continued funding
from the Heritage C
enter is uncertain and the lease for the WSL building is being renegotiated and the new lease payments are expected to increa
se.


Martin reviewed LSTA funding and Maintenance of Effort (MOE) requirements. He shared that
the 2010

LSTA of $ 3.58 M, was the

largest grant ever
received while
the 2011

LSTA grant was $3.35 M or so, around $230,000 less than 2010. The 2012 grant are expected to be funded at a similar level
depending on the impact of any federal budget reductions



In 2009, Maintenance of Effor
t was met but 2010 is short, about $70 or so. In 2011, however, the MOE may be SUBSTANTIALLY short. WSL is looking
for ways to manage this risk in a manner that can withstand the scrutiny of an audit.

Auditors look for consistent program mix and Martin i
s preparing
a report to justify current programming practices that show MOE.


MOE is based on a 3
-
year rolling average,

So even if Maintenance of Effort is found lacking, 2012 LSTA funding is probably assured. However, by 2013, consequences of
not meetin
g MOE
requirements might be seen with reductions in LSTA allocations.


Martin asked LMDC members to support WSL requests for funding from the state
legislature to ensure MOE can be met in future.



Simes asked, “What does MOE cover?”


Martin replied tha
t MOE includes support library development programs across the state at a basic level. MOE includes activity in our prison a
nd book
&

braille library state funding. New programming is now being included in MOE formulas, including funding for institutiona
l

branch libraries and may
also add library development and preservation efforts into the state MOE formula.




Simmons reported on Project Jalisco:


Simmons is working with a few Washington state public library directors on an information exchange with
Ja
lisco, Mexico library staff. Washington library directors are focusing on learning more about how to provide immigrants from

Jalisco with effective
public library services while the Jalisco librarians are interested in document exchanges to enhance their
international collection. Simmons invited
LMDC members interested in joining the conversation to send him an email to be added to the Project Jalisco routing list.


Simmons also discussed issues related to preserving state newspapers.


WSL is charged with

collecting and preserving state newspapers.

WSL either
films the original papers or buys them on microfilm.


Costs are becoming an issue as NewsBank has acquired the rights to this material; WSL has seen a
$2,000 increase for obtaining microfilm copies of

the Seattle Times and the Oregonian and Simmons noted that NewsBank is now also working with
McClatchy papers (News Tribune, Tri City Herald, and Bellingham Herald, Olympian). WSL expects this change to result in incr
eased prices for this
service. Simmon
s invited LMDC members to join with WSL to advocate for affordable preservation options.


Martin initiated a discussion about training and development programs. LMDC is invited to participate in a survey (until Jul
y 31, 2011) to assess
training and deve
lopment need across the state. WSL maintains a WebJunction membership. Library staff at Washington state libraries can crea
te an
account with WebJunction to access any training offered by WebJunction, free of charge.


3

Library and Media Directors Council Meeting: Summer, July 20
-
21, 2011

Everett Community College Gray Wolf Hall, Room 166/168

DRAFT

AGENDA

/ MINUTES

WSL is engaged in an IMLS

Strategic
Planning initiative. Martin reported that
WSL is

using a consultant to help identify and prioritize work plans for the
next five years and will be using “IdeaScale,” a crowdsourcing tool, to engage library community members in the planning proc
ess. The to
ol allows
users to vote ideas up or down in an effort to determine which ideas have the most priority.


Survey Analytics is the company working with

IMLS to
manage this project.




Simmons provided an update on the status of the State Librarian position.


Will “probably” delay decision about replacement with a permanent
replacement until Secretary of State Sam Reed retirement in January 2013.



Library Council of
Washington:
Joan Weber

Weber shared a handout with an abbreviated version of minutes fro
m the Library Council of Washington spring meeting.


She noted that most Council
business deals with public library issues and that Library Snapshot Day, held in April, was deemed a success. Weber invited
all to read the full report.


Blume asked is there

anything new funded with

LSTA funds or just

maintenance work that is being funded?


Weber said she thought most of the
funded effort is in the area of MOE in addition to two very small grants and a pilot project. One grant is for small, stand
-
alone libr
aries to connect
learners to resources; the successful library received $500 to purchase material for their collection that would be shared wi
th regional partners.
Weber asked Martin to expand on her comments.


Martin said one small grant was designed t
o encourage small, stand
-
alone libraries to cooperate with other regional libraries and connect learners
through resource sharing.


$500 was awarded to purchase new material; the funds could not supplant exisiting funds. A second project is being
announce
d soon.
The Transforming

Life after 50 grant was developed in partnership with California and is designed to encourage the development of
services to the aged 50 and over crowd. The pilot project is the e
-
Book reader program that will award a few dollars

to grantees to train library staff
and patrons how to utilize e
-
books
with a

second project designed to help libraries develop effective processes to circulate e
-
Book readers.


Applications for this project are due July 29, 2011.


Martin also mentioned
th
at Washington

state was awarded AARA grants of $3M or so to extend fiber to rural communities.


WSL grants will be
available to link libraries to the upgraded internet connection when the fiber is made available.


Bagley

asked for

information about the a
ccess to

e
-
books and the position the State Librarians council is taking regarding consortial purchases.
Simmons responded that state librarians meet in May and began brainstorming to develop a vision / statement that represents t
he state libraries
positio
n on vendor issues and e
-
book / e
-
reader access. He indicated that concern exists about e
-
book vendor relationship especially in regard to
purchasing consortial collections of digital / audiobooks. The goal of the state librarians is to provide seamless a
nd easy access for library customers
accessing e
-
book collections according to Simmons, although the group is not currently formulating plans towards that end.


Bagley noted that Orbis
Cascade is trying to purchase
a collection

of e
-
books for the consorti
a and has found it difficult to work with vendors which
prompted her curiosity about the state librarians’ future plans. Simmons responded saying that he was concerned about the di
fficulty of working with
e
-
book / audiobook publishers who see statewide co
nsortia as a problem and that he was aware of the issues. He will report back to LMDC with a
progress report.




Martin added that the WSL pilot grant project related to e
-
books is designed to get

e
-
book readers into libraries so they will test

e
-
book
readers and
look at ways to integrate into systems practices. Their experiences with help WSL share best practices to the state library
community.


4

Library and Media Directors Council Meeting: Summer, July 20
-
21, 2011

Everett Community College Gray Wolf Hall, Room 166/168

DRAFT

AGENDA

/ MINUTES

Doherty asked Simmons to say a few words about Gates Foundation Opportunity Online conference. Simmons re
sponded that the conference focused
on libraries that had received Broadband Opportunity grants and that Washington state libraries were involved in the Building

Infrastructure grant.
The conference brought state librarians together to discuss the work b
eing with in conjunction with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.


eLearning for
SBCTC / Gate’s
Grant 2
nd

Round of
Open Source
Library project:

Connie Broughton

Simes introduced Connie Broughton. Broughton reported that the SBCTC had renewed four contr
acts of interest to the library / eLearning community:
(a) Angel through June 2014, (b) Blackboard

Collaborate (Elluminate), (c) Presidium through June 2014, and (d) Tegrity

through 2015.


The results of the contract
negations

were favorable with the cos
t for Collaborate and Presidium stable.


Angel fees
increased by 3% although
Backboard
asked for an increase of 7%.


Cost will probably go down, however, because changes may lead to lower overall costs.


An RFP is being prepared as SBCTC begins the proc
ess of reviewing Leaning Management Systems with the intent to issue a new contract to replace
Angel. The goal is to get consensus on a system in order to encourage all Washington state colleges / universities to move to

a common LMS platform.
The common
platform will not be mandated and will allow for college managed and hosted options. The belief is that with all institution
s using the
same system, the volume of schools/students may provide the state system with the opportunity to negotiate lower licens
e costs and provide support
for integration /

prof

development. Furthermore, students moving between institutions will benefit from the consistency. The LMS review will begin

in the fall and the review committee will include representatives from the stat
e baccalaureate schools as well as SBCTCs. There is an interest in
including library system integration. The RFP will be developed fall quarter, with contract negotiations completed by June 2
012 followed by a 2
-
year
migration process.




Open Course Lib
rary:


Phase one will be completed in October 2011 with a celebration on Oct 28.


All Phase one courses will also be available at that
time. One barrier has been in captioning the video content of the OCL courses which has been more time consuming that an
ticipated. Phase two will
begin in fall 2011.

Course development will take place in winter and spring, 2012 with pilot’s taught in fall 2012 and project completion in spri
ng 2013.


Leader asked if the same selection process will be used to select librari
ans to participate in Phase 2. Broughton said yes, if the process worked well.
She also said the grant team is reviewing “Lessons learned” during Phase 1 and the team has identified some issues about the
librarians’ role with OCL
which will be addressed

by clarifying the expectations.


Leader noted that her college developed one OCL course but there was no local review of

the course even though the instructor asked for input. She
suggested the grant team consider adding local review to the development

process. Broughton indicated this was a great idea as it would provide
instructors with good feedback and keep the college involved in the OCL project.



Broughton indicated that LMDC could select librarians for Phase 2 and that if directors want to par
ticipate, they are encouraged to apply. Carr
suggested that the grant solicitation note that librarians are invited to apply including library administrators as some coll
eges did not understand that
administrators could apply for a grant.


Broughton repli
ed that the grant’s goal is to get acquire good support

and that this requires tedious work but if
administrators want to participate that would be fine.


Broughton stated that there is a considerable amount of raw data coming from the OCL project and ma
ny things to fix.


For example, many faculty had
difficulty finding good open source material.


Others faced issues finding resources that met the $30 textbook limit. On the whole, the OCL project has

5

Library and Media Directors Council Meeting: Summer, July 20
-
21, 2011

Everett Community College Gray Wolf Hall, Room 166/168

DRAFT

AGENDA

/ MINUTES

gone well and the course products seem to be good.




More open content

initiatives include working on the Department of Labor grants for open courses and the OLI project from Carnegie Mellon. OLC

courses ask student to complete homework online so instructors can analyze issues to ensure class sessions addre
ss areas where students did not
understand the material. Statistics and an Intro to Biology courses may be piloted first. Carnegie Mellon data shows these
courses lead to faster
learning and better retention of

information as well as course completion.


As time allows, the SBCTC plans to initiate an e
-
textbook project where they will buy

e
-
texts and give them away.


Carr asked if the books would be
available to put on library reserve. Broughton indicated they could go to reserves and that the contract th
ey will be seeking should allow this and
other desired features.



The state authorization work and complaint process does not affect LMDC, according to Broughton, but she thought it is an imp
ortant requirement for
colleges to comply with and one that l
ibrary directors should know about.



Leader asked about the reaction to

the CCRC report on online persistence.


Broughton replied that SBCTC had an opportunity to share concerns with
the researchers. Also, they are aware that the report is based on o
ld data and that online students tend to have lower persistence.


A more question
that the research did not address is WHY persistence is lower for online students. CCRC did remove some negative items form r
eport. However, she
noted that the recommendation
s included in the report were not based on research, rather they are simply good ideas that have been implemented
by many CTCs. Broughton concluded noting that more research is needed in this area.


Simes asked for two LMDC members to volunteer to serve
on the LMS study task force by emailing her.


BREAK


ProQuest:
Jane Blume

Blume reported on the ProQuest platform change meeting she attended and informed the group that her library had rolled back t
o the original
platform. She indicated her
frustration that

Ebsco prices its online products too high so they cannot compete with ProQuest as part of the WSL
database package. She offered to share

LMDC’s questions about the state contract with WSL.


Winters commented that we need the newspapers,

but there may be options. She also noted that ProQuest account managers combine CTC
libraries
with

the K
-
12 school library and that isn’t an appropriate combination. She said her librarians are also unhappy with the interface.




Henderson
-
Potter said
that ProQuest pulled two of their smaller databases from the new contract so our libraries no longer have access to Alt
-
Newswatch or Ethnic Newswatch.


Librarians did not seem to have any input in this decision.


Blume responded saying that there was a
con
versation

about database coverage in the form of a survey. The survey results were included

in the RFP.


Once issued, the RFP could not be altered.
Blume indicated she was also dismayed that the two databases were removed from the state contract.


McC
ormick
-
Coslor questioned whether or not the company cared about the feedback they received. Blume suggested that the feedback from
the
public libraries outweighed the feedback from CTCs. She noted that few CTC librarians participated in the review or pro
vided feedback and that there
are many more public libraries in the state.


6

Library and Media Directors Council Meeting: Summer, July 20
-
21, 2011

Everett Community College Gray Wolf Hall, Room 166/168

DRAFT

AGENDA

/ MINUTES


Simes noted there is nothing like the power of satisfaction and being able to voice our opinions about our dissatisfaction wi
th vendors.


Vendors may
not take us as seriously as
they should.


Winters wondered if we should partner with four year academics to see if that works to our financial
advantage. Blume agreed that we could negotiate on our own behalf, but that our collective group is small and might not have

much negotiati
ng
power.


Bagley reminded everyone that there is a spilt viewpoint on the ProQuest interface. Some faculty liked the new interface, oth
ers didn’t.


Students’
response was by and large positive.


Vendors need to be responsive to our needs, and how we rep
resent our user’s needs. Vendors do not seem to
understand the reality of our diminished resources.




Simes closed by noting that we’ll continue to watch the situation and remember that as database prices increase, our budgets
diminish.


News from

Basic
Skills Council:

Maggie Stuart

Stuart reported that Jon Kerr has been appointed the new

SBCTC Director in charge of Adult Basic Education.


WIA 2000 (Workforce Investment Act)
legislation is up for renewal.


Changes will

impact basic education and re
quire educators to work more closely with state agencies.


Students may be
expected to follow more defined academic pathways.


State agency resource collection is being converted into a usable library.


Although ABE survived the latest round of budget cut
s expected but future cuts are anticipated and


ABE went through a federal audit. The auditors
like the innovative programs offered like the

iBest program and integrated instruction but felt grant programs should be more

competitive and open.




Blume s
uggested that “competitive” and “open” seem like opposing ideas. Stuart responded saying that open means open to non
-
college agencies
which can offer basic skills instruction.


ILS Options:

Andrew Hersh
-
Tudor

Hersh
-
Tudor chairs the LMDC group looking at
the options available for moving libraries to a common platform.


He reported that the group is looking
at open source alternatives,

ROI information, ORCA’s future plane and the decisions being made by Orbis Cascade.


He also indicated he would attend
an E
xLibris webinar to learn about ExLibris’ development plans. He also noted that the group is also talking Connie Broughton to

determine the
feasibility of integrating an ILS with the state LMS.


Lots of ideas to
consider
, he

would like to define the direct
ion we need to focus our efforts.


Spoke with

Connie about

integrating the ILS and library databases with the. Authentication is a major issue.


With good authentication that provides
the appropriate credentials,

integration with the LMS is feasible.


Bro
ughton agreed, saying that the WAOL programmers think it is possible to
integrate the ILS and authenticate students so they can use databases through the LMS. The issue is that WAOL lacks staff an
d is currently involved in
the LMS RFP project. She indica
ted she doesn’t know how much time can be devoted to an integration project. Broughton asserted that WAOL is
excited about the potential of an integration project and that the programmer, Paul Kraemer, attended a Blackboard World conf
erence where he
learn
ed it was possible to integrate with the BB LMS. She noted that is this feature is important, than LMDC members need to make

sure this
requirement is included in the LMS RFP. In general, Broughton said that the SBCTC Guidelines say that “add
-
ons” like an

integration process are
supposed to be designed once for one system even though this principle hasn’t always worked out in practice.


Blume asked a question to clarify the user authentication vision. Hersh
-
Tudor responded saying that a new authenticatio
n service would make all
resources discoverable. Winters asked if he was talking about a federated search tool and Hersh
-
Tudor said that functionality would be part of an

7

Library and Media Directors Council Meeting: Summer, July 20
-
21, 2011

Everett Community College Gray Wolf Hall, Room 166/168

DRAFT

AGENDA

/ MINUTES

authentication system. McCormick Coslor asked that we consider looking at an ILS th
at meets are needs first and then to consider looking at a product
that can be integrated with an LMS RFP. She said that her college doesn’t use the state Angel platform, so she didn’t want t
o end up with an ILS she
can’t use at her college.


She asked th
at the attention be paid to finding a good ILS, not an ILS that can be easily integrated into a LMS.


Tom”

Project where presidents are asking for single student

sign
-
on so student carries to other colleges.


Single authentication for everything.


Stude
nts have to sign in multiple times not felt great.


Bagley reported on Orbis

Cascade’s review of ILS and study looking at the future of integrated library system via a Request for Information (RFI). The
y
have invited vendors to discuss their products
, incl
uding III, Ex

Libris, OCLC and two other groups
.


Bagley noted that the Alliance

(501(C3)) will handle
the ILS contract and is moving forward on developing

an RFP to purchase an ILS for Orbis

C
ascade libraries. She said that the conversations around the
I
LS at Orbis Cascade are different from the LMDC conversation as she sees LMDC more interested in finding an ILS that integrat
es library

resources into
instruction while Orbis Cascade is more interested in standardization, cataloging, and acquisitions and h
ow the collective can create more efficiencies
in the system.




Simes asked about the timeline for finishing the ILS review project. Hersh
-
Tudor replied that we can look at existing contracts to establish a timeline or
we at define our own timeline. He

indicated that he didn’t think we can go much further with the discussion until LMDC defines a decision making
process. He said he needed to get a group together to work on this process. Simes asked Hersh
-
Tudor to send an email to

directors asking who is

interested in joining sub
-
committee for process to look at ILS decision
-
making process. He agreed to do so and promised to hold a series of Elluminate
meetings with a goal of bringing an outline of a decision
-
making process to the fall LMDC meeting.


Kram

asked that Hersh
-
Tudor align his efforts on the ILS project with any state / eLearning Council initiatives. Broughton agreed saying that LM
DC

should also consult with ITC. She also noted that LMDC may want to follow the progress of the SID project.

Ba
tes agreed with Broughton.


Weber wondered if single

sign
-
on would also be used for access to library databases. She noted the difficulty of using
one authentication system given all that each college library subscribes to a different package of databases
.


Henderson
-
Potter, Broughton and Bates commented that single sign
-
on shouldn’t be a problem. Bates noted that many colleges currently use
active

directory to create a pseudo single

sign
-
on. He said that there is
a
lot of interest and many programmer
s willing to assist with this work.


Hersh
-
Tudor closed conversation by saying he would bring a group together to develop a decision
-
making process for looking at ILS alternatives.


IC Retreat:

Lauri Kram and
Sharon Simes

Simes shared information abou
t the IC Retreat held at Renton Technical College on June 23.


During the retreat, the IC Work Plan was reviewed and
revised; major goals for the new plan include looking at economic demand, student success, and innovation. Simes and Kram in
dicated that i
t is
important to align the LMDC strategic plan with IC’s work plan especially as the LMDC’s 3
-
year strategic plan needs to be revised.


Simes noted that IC’s plan focuses on economic demand and how to meet the needs for a skilled workforce.
Broughton ag
reed while noting that the IC
Work Plan has not been finalized. She suggested that LMDC focus on instruction and the importance of liberal arts in develop
ing a skilled workforce,
especially as CTCs provide
most of the liberal arts instruction in the state

and employers want their employees to have liberal arts skills.

Set dates for LMDC
Simes proposed dates for the fall meeting;


8

Library and Media Directors Council Meeting: Summer, July 20
-
21, 2011

Everett Community College Gray Wolf Hall, Room 166/168

DRAFT

AGENDA

/ MINUTES

2011
-
2012
Meetings:

Sharon Simes



Fall: Oct 20
-
21, 2011 @ Pierce, Fort Steilacoom (pending confirmation by D
. Gilchrist)


Winter:


Feb 2 or 3 on Elluminate


Spring: April 26
-
27 @ Clark


(Note: Meeting dates were finalized via email in September, 2011. Correct dates are Oct. 20
-
21, Feb. 3, and April 26
-
27)

Meeting adjourned
at 4:17 pm



Thursday, July 21, 2011


TOPIC
/

PRESENTER


NOTES

Breakfast

Mellissa McBurn
ey, Sarah Leadley, Lynn Kanne, Connie Broughton M
indy
McCormick Coslor, Maggie S
tuart, Lauri Kram, Sharon Winters, Jenifer
Dys
a
rt, Sue Gallaway, Joan Weber, Paula

Do
ugherty
, Jeanne Leader, Leslie P
otter
-
Henderson, Doug

Ammons, Michelle Bagley, Mary A
nn Goodwin,
Mary Carr

Ellulminate/Collaborate Attendees:
Eric Palo,
Tim

Fuhrman
, Monica

Luce
, Stacie
Prest
,
Sue Gallaway, Sue Schub

Elluminate URL


https://sas.elluminate.com/p.jnlp?psid=2011
-
07
-
21.0848.M.CD7F089EFC147ABCD2E8601ADD602B.vcr&sid=2008170

Welcome
:

Sharon Simes

M
eeting

called to order

at 8
:36

am

WACTC Capital
Task Force
updates
:

Mary Carr

Carr reported on the work of the Capital Taskforce and said that LMDC’s recommendations were presented to the Taskforce with
most being included
in the final draft of their report. The document uses the l
ibrary/learning commons nomenclature and she is trying to update the “learning resources”
designation used on her campus to this new name. Carr noted that as a result of the Taskforce’s work, there is no longer a
cap on the size of CTC
libraries. Additi
onally, size calculations for library space do not include other programs located in the “library” calculations, e.g. compute
r labs located
in libraries would not be considered “library space” but would be additional space. Overall, there are fewer restri
ctions. Carr indicated the new space
formulas should influence the building design efforts in the future. She said that our interests [as Library Directors] were

well represented and that she
was able promote some consideration of green and sustainabilit
y planning elements in the final draft of the report. The result is that the
CAM
Formulation for
the SBCTC
may be greener than university system
’s.


Update
on
Copyright
:

Stan Horton

Horton
reported that the Copyright Committee would like to work with t
he SBCTC to
identify

an

AAG
who could be t
h
e copyright expert for system.
However, he indicated that he is not sure
how to
proceed and thought LMDC may n
eed
to ask the Instruction Commission
(IC)
to support this request
for us.
We need to present a draft

of our plans to IC. The Committee will prepare a draft, working with LMDC executive committee and our IC liaison.
A second concern
Horton
said the Copyright Committee

identified
ensuring that our
college’s
copyright officers

receive training
.

He indicat
ed that
Renton Tech ha
s an online course on copyright and the
LSTA grant

includes funds for a copyright module although

it’s audience is
faculty and students

rather than
copyright officer
s
. Since one responsibility
of a copyright officer is to educate oth
ers, the LSTA module

may help, but won’t
be adequate
for training
copyright officer
s
.


Winters asked if
the next step is to work with IC and share our Copyright plan with that group.
She
said she would see if she can identify an IC member
willing to assis
t with the project.
Horton said the Copyright Committee can proceed with writing the
copyright
charge
which
define LMDC’s request so

9

Library and Media Directors Council Meeting: Summer, July 20
-
21, 2011

Everett Community College Gray Wolf Hall, Room 166/168

DRAFT

AGENDA

/ MINUTES

that as soon as
we have an IC contact

to work with, we can forward the prepared request
. He thought the draft could be re
ady fall 2011.

Revising definition
of 051 Program
Budget Code:

Sharon Winters

Winters recounted the issues surrounding an earlier discussion of the 051 Budget code assigned to library programs. She note
d that the

official
definition of 051

includes
onl
y
basic, traditional library operations
such as cataloging and collection
development
which many find antiquated.

Although she would like to redefine the library budget codes, she recognized that n
o consensus exists on how to update the existing budget c
odes /
definitions.
She wondered if we could agree on common library program elements for an updated budget definition, including areas like coll
ections,
facilities and instruction, and asked if LMDC should open a discussion on this topic at the state le
vel

and if so, how to initiate the conversation.


Kram responded with a question about how budget codes need to be used and what the

most important elements
are. She expressed some concern
that as we define academic libraries more broadly that we don’t
want budget codes to limit the development of new
library
models

/ functions
.


Carr suggested using
sub
-
codes

to expand the original budget codes, saying
051
might be d
efined as
“L
earning
Commons” so there could be a
finer
sorting

of budget items
.

This
would allow us to share common budget items as well as more unique
programs

budgets.

Winters responded that her
library uses 051 to determine the percentage of library support compared the entire college.
McCormick Coslor said she also like being able to

compare budgets across the state and 051 it would be nice if the data was truly comparable. After sharing stories about loca
l practices with budget
codes, Carr noted that if we can’t agree on definitions of budget codes, then we can’t build meaningful co
mparisons. Dougherty replied that she
thought local practices could co
-
exist with existing practices. Bagley commented that she is concerned that the budget code definitions lead to
perceptions of library programs. McCormick Coslor said she used Yakima
as a budget benchmark for accreditation purposes and found it difficult to
make accurate
comparisons

given the differences between the two institutions.
Leader said she thinks an update is needed and that she thinks we can
agree to a core definition. She

thinks that most use budget data in a pragmatic way.



Simes summarized the conversation, saying that we need to change the 051 budget definition. She said she’d like to assign th
e task to a sub
-
committee. Carr suggested using the same terminology use
d in the new CAM definition.

Simes said she thought more discussion was needed on the
topic at our fall meeting. She called for volunteers: Winters and Leader volunteered; Simes said she would send an email as
king for additional
volunteers.


Weber su
ggested that we should have a document to respond to in the fall in order to make the conversation more productive.

McBurney

asked if we can see what every library covers using 051 to get an idea of the scope of how the budget code is used.

Simes said
we would
share this information at our fall meeting and we will work on developing a common definition, drawing on a sample statement.

She will follow up
with an email to LMDC with specific direction on this assignment.


LSTA update on the
ACRL Immersi
on
“Dip” at Packwood,
July 30
-
Aug. 2
:

Lynne Kanne

Kanne reported that
plans are being made for the last year of our current

four year
LSTA
grant cycle.
During the past year, libraries worked on “Rising
Junior” projects and although each project was
unique
,

assessment is being conducted to determine if general lessons can be developed based on the
work
.

A
set of
learning

outcomes for the transfer students

was also developed and although it is d
ifficult to
determine how these outcomes will be
used, they can p
rovide advice for college librarians. “Dip into Immersion, 2011” is scheduled for late July, and is open to
outside librarians.

PILAR
projects are being phased out as the project ends. Data from the projects will be difficult to deal with as the m
ost i
nteresting data
is
probably
anecdotal
.



10

Library and Media Directors Council Meeting: Summer, July 20
-
21, 2011

Everett Community College Gray Wolf Hall, Room 166/168

DRAFT

AGENDA

/ MINUTES



A f
all workshop

is planned to consider future grant work. Kanne would like to conduct some peer reviews on grant projects and also suggested

that
work could be done to build on the WASSAIL project sponsored by S
pokane Community College. Kanne asked LMDC for feedback to help the LSTA
planning committee plan for future activity.
Kanne asked LMDC participants for ideals on how to manage LSTA
-
generated resources. Carr asked how
much maintenance would be needed once

the grant cycle ended. She suggested that the organization work be done as part of a grant
-
funded project.
Kanne agreed that the organization work could be done within the final year of the grant. She was concerned that there is no
t a home for the
mate
rial.


Kram wondered in CLAMS and LMDC could maintain responsibility for the material.
Potter
-
Henderson thought the material might be best maintained
by
CLAMS.
Simes said we should bring the LMDC Information Literacy committee together with CLAMS so th
ey can work together jointly to manage
this resource. Kanne said some
one needs to manage the
grant
wiki

and she isn’t interested in assuming this responsibility. Carr suggested using grant
funds now to organize the material and worry about maintaining it

later.





Kanne asked if LMDC had any
feedback on the
LSTA
activities

planned for next
year.

Carr noted that the
WASSAIL pilot

at Spokane is going well and
suggested planning another training session. Kanne asked if WASSAIL requires each college to ho
st the service on its own server. Carr replied that her
college couldn’t host WASSAIL for 34 colleges, but could set up trials. She also noted that the program has b
een adopted to run on Microsoft
-
based
software. Weber suggested using a hosted service
to manage WASSAIL for the 34 colleges, paid for with LMDC funds. Kanne thought grant funds
could be used to support the technical support needs for WASSAIL. Simes suggested that the
LMDC
Info
rmation
Literacy

committee work with CLAMS
to c
onsider this ide
a. Her idea was confirmed by the LMDC attendees.


Bagley suggested that a LSTA project might consider looking at how librarians can support learning resource based strategies
and technology in a way
that complements the Open Course Library project’s emp
hasis on reducing
textbook costs
. The project could help define the
library
’s
role
in this work
and
identif
y Open Educational Resources to support courses.



BREAK

9:50

Library Succession
Planning
:

Andrew Hersch
-
Tudor

Hersh
-
Tudor summarized LMDC’s yea
r
-
long conversation on library succession planning which started with the
recognition of

situations where changes
in library leadership
with the CTC system reflected significant change from past practices
.
He reported on his meeting with CLAMS where he sh
ared
information about career paths common for library d
irector
s, reviewing the core skill set
required to be a

successful

library director / dean

identified
by
current LMDC members. As part of this meeting, he a
sked CLAMS
attendees
to assess t
heir person
al skill sets based on these core skills. The results
of this survey showed that faculty librarians reported they had skills in
teaching and

info
rmation
literacy

but their managerial skills were less
developed. Hersh
-
Tudor suggested that the information

gleaned from this small study can be used to support professional development for librarians
interested in moving into managerial roles
. Information from this work will be posted by Hersh
-
Tudor on the LMDC wiki


McCormick Coslor mentioned that others in
the CTC system have developed fo
rmal program
s for aspiring administrators and suggested that LMDC
could
create a curriculum that would provide basis for
mentoring

faculty
. Kram replied that she liked the idea and wanted to make sure that the
reason for th
e succession planning conversation didn’t get lost, which is to make sure that administrative positions continue to exist for

faculty to
aspire to.

Dysa
rt noted that Green River CC’ Center for Excellence might assist LMDC with the development of a traini
ng program for librarians.
Bagley suggested inviting librarians to LMDC meetings

to make connections with library directors and see what we do
.

Carr advised caution as she has
not funding to support her librarians’ attendance at LMDC meetings.

McCormick
Coslor suggested setting up a formal development exercise for

11

Library and Media Directors Council Meeting: Summer, July 20
-
21, 2011

Everett Community College Gray Wolf Hall, Room 166/168

DRAFT

AGENDA

/ MINUTES

librarians to attend at an LMDC meeting with travel costs potentially funded by the Washington State Library.
Bagley though it might work to invite
librarians from the host library and Leader s
aid she invited Everett librarians to attend LMDC via Elluminate.


Leadley

said she is taking part in an ARL Leadership program which includes campus visits around the country and the support of a coh
ort and she has
found it very valuable. McCormick Cos
lor said she had attended the Ha
rvard
academic
library leadership

program
and found it very helpful
. Gallaway
mentioned that there is a
leadership
development
program that sponsored by SW area colleges.
She mentioned LMDC might want to work with that
pro
gram to support leadership development for librarians. Hersh
-
Tudor replied that some direction is needed to determine how to proceed with the
conversation. Gallaway and McBurney volunteered to assist Hersh
-
Tudor with this task.



Carr suggested that t
he conversation related to lost library director positions had been dropped and some attention needs to be paid to it. Hers
h
-
Tudor said we have
data

on this problem and that we

can develop a white paper
/
statement to share

with

others and he said he cou
ld work on this.
e
Carr indicated that the Instruction Commission needs to be part of the conversation as they make decisions about not replacin
g library directors.
Leader and Weber noted that all administrative positions are being scrutinized and vacanc
ies not always filled. Leader noted that l
ibrary deans are

often
asked to do things because they are good organizers and can manage multiple things.


Simes said she agreed with Carr and that sometimes libraries bear more than their share of cuts. She a
sked if
there

is

an accreditation issue?

D
ougherty said that her

belief
is we do not have support fro
m the standards that we had preciously.
Accreditation is now mission driven and
if our
libraries are not central to instruction and
the institution, then t
he new stan
dards may not support our work.


Pr
o
fessional

Development
:

Jennifer Dysart

Dysart noted that LMDC has a professional development
activity at most

meeting
s
. She would like to develop a wiki page where professional
development topics and suggest
ed experts can be
shared to assist with planning these activities. The group contributed suggestions for future
pro
fessional development topics
including

(a)
conflict management and change management
,
(b)
creative

budget
ing,

(c)

tool time,
(d)
library adv
ocacy,
(e)
retirement planning, and
(f)
how to deal with difficult / frustrated/suicidal students coming to the library for help.


Dysart said that finding
local experts
to present topics is important but she asked is we c
an
also
pay to bring in
an outside

expert

at least once a year
.
There was general affirmation in support of this idea.
She
also
noted that some LMDC agendas are too full to include professional development
activities
and she suggested planning events for only two or three meetings each y
ear. The g
roup affirmed

this idea.


Winters wondered if we could
focus
LMDC time on
conversation
s

and professional development
, using the
wiki to share report outs.

Some indicated
they appreciated the report outs as they don’t always read the reports.
Weber suggested putting limits on r
eport outs
, with speakers given
5 minutes
to summarize

their

written reports.


McCormick Coslor noted that not all reports are posted to the wiki in a t
imely manner
. Goodwin said she would take responsibility for solic
iting and
posting reports prior to meetings. Winters said we should all be able to post items to the wiki and that those with reports
should be responsible for
posting
them
several days before the meetings.
Ba
gley suggested we plan a Wiki training sessio
n for a professional development topic. Simes agreed
that having a deadline for submitting reports would be a good idea.



Drupal
:

Clark
Library is
using Drupal
, a content management program, to develop their
website.
Bagley shared in
formation about the process her librarians

12

Library and Media Directors Council Meeting: Summer, July 20
-
21, 2011

Everett Community College Gray Wolf Hall, Room 166/168

DRAFT

AGENDA

/ MINUTES

Michelle Bagley

went through to construct

the
ir
new website.

Student usability testing was used extensively to support development work.

She said that the website
is easy to maintain as content is dynamically
generated
.
All libr
ary staff member
s can update library
web page
s
when necessary

which has empowered
library staff as they no longer have to depend on library faculty to update
web pages.




See the new website at
http://library.clark.edu/


Adjourn



11:29

AM