EDWARD WELLS SHIPS

frontdotardΠολεοδομικά Έργα

15 Νοε 2013 (πριν από 3 χρόνια και 9 μήνες)

68 εμφανίσεις

EDWARD WELLS


SHIPS


HMS BOSCAWEN

Boys Training Ship at Portland

(Edward Wells 13 June 1896 to 15 February 1897)


The training ship HMS
Boscawen
(ex HMS
Trafalgar
) was a three decked sailing ship of the line, and
remained at Portland until she was sold in 1906. As the Royal Navy grew in size towards the end of the
19th century, so additional accommodation was required for boys' training. To meet this demand, two ol
d
broadside ironclad warships were brought into service, first
Minotaur
in 1898 to be followed by
Agincourt
in 1904. They were known as
Boscawen II
and
Boscawen III
respectively.


The design of warships changed dramatically in the last half of the nineteenth century with iron and steel
taking the place of the 'wooden walls' and armour plate and with heavier breech loading guns in turrets
taking the place of cannons. Much of the trai
ning of the boys, however, still reflected life under sail and
activities ashore and on board prepared them for life at sea. They were required to set up topmast rigging
and cross upper yards, and they
learned to scrub and wash
hammocks and to make and
men
d clothes. They also
cleaned boats, took lead line
instruction, engaged in physical
drill, including dumb bell
exercises and gymnastics,
landed field artillery, learned
rifle drill and, at the turn of the
century, went ashore to receive
machine gun and amm
unition
instruction. They coaled and
painted ship, and formed a fire
brigade which could be called
ashore in an emergency.
Supplies of food, regularly
taken aboard, included fresh
vegetables, beef, 'mouton', suet, corned pork and bread. Fresh water was als
o supplied.

On Sundays the boys attended divine service. During the summer they were given leave and this
provided an opportunity for dockyard men to join the ship to make goo
d defects.


On some occasions the boys were prevented from going ashore by bad weather, and there were times
when the ship was quarantined due to scarlet fever and other infectious diseases. Conditions were harsh
and punishment could be severe.


The
Bos
cawen
training ships left Portland in 1905 and the name lapsed until 1932, when the naval base
at Portland was commissioned. This shore base, or 'stone frigate' was called
HMS Boscawen

later

to
become, with the advent of the helicopter,
HMS Osprey.
Fittingl
y

the name
Boscawen
reverted to a local
organisation training young sailors, The Sea Cadets.




HMS BOSCAWEN AT
PORTLAND

(note all the ship’s boats for
the boys’ training)


HMS ROYAL OAK

(Ned Wells 9 March 1897 to 4 March 1899)


In March 1897, just a month after
his 18
th

birthday, Ned joined
HMS
Royal Oak

when the ship
commissioned for service in the
Mediterranean until June 02
.
This was
one of seven Royal
Sovereign first
-
class battleships

(The other ships of the class
were HMSs
Royal Sovereign,
Empress of India, Repulse,
Ramillies, Resolution and
Revenge
)

-

a pre Dreadnought
steel armoured battleship, built
by Messrs. Laird, at Birkenhead,
and engined by the same firm.


Her displacement was 14,150
tons; Horsepower 13,000.
Length 380ft. Beam 75ft.
Maximum draught 27ft 6ins. Complement 712. She carried as pr
incipal armament four 67 ton guns in two
armoured barbettes, and had a partial belt of armour of 18ins. maximum thickness.


The max speed was
18.2 knots.

Originally c
completed

without bilge keels, initially the ships could roll badly. When bilge keels
were

fitted, the ships were better gun platforms and more comfortable.

HMS
Royal Oak

was launched on
the 5th November 1892 and
was commissioned at
Portsmouth in January 1896 under Captain Burges Watson
as one of the ships of the Special Flying Squadron.

So Ne
d
joined a virtually brand new ship.



When completed, the ships of the Royal Sovereign class
were the largest warships in the world. Since a large
number of the class were built, the Royal Sovereigns
operated in uniform squadrons greatly increasing their

effectiveness. This had not been possible with capital ships
since the age of sail, because of the variety of types during
the ironclad era.






HMS VENGEANCE

(Ned Wells 8 April 1902 to 31 March 1905)

HMS Vengeance, built by Vickers and launched 1889, was
the last of the Canopus Class and was, in respects, the most
powerful. She had a water
-
line armoured
belt,

but the
distinctive feature of HMS
Vengeance

was that the armour
was of the Krupp type, and that, thickness for thickness, was
of greater resisting powers than that of the sister ships.

Displacement: 12,950 tons. Length: 410 ft. Beam: 74 ft.
Draught: 26.5 ft. Complement: 750. 1800 tons coal, 13500h
p,
speed 17kts. Armament: four 12 ins guns, twelve 6 ins guns,
ten 3 ins guns, six 3 pounder guns and two maxims with four
18in torpedo tubes under water plus 5 14in torpedoes for boats.

The ship commissioned in April 1902 for the Med, and was then ordered

to China in June 1903 to relieve
HMS
Goliath
. She joined her sister ships
Albion
,
Ocean

and
Glory

on station.

HMS BARFLEUR

(Ned Wells 1 April 1905 to 9 May 1905)

HMS
Barfleur

was a 14
-
gun twin
-
screw battleship, launched at
Chatham in 1892. She was of 10,500 tons, 13,163 horsepower,
and 18.5 knots speed. Her length, beam, and draught were
360ft, 70ft, and 25ft.
In February 1905 the ship took out a fresh
crew to China for HMS

Vengeance
. She carried the old crew back
(so Ned was just a passenger) and became Flag Ship
Portsmouth Reserve from May 05.

HMS SPARTIATE

(Ned Wells 4 December 1905 to 19 August 1907)

HMS
Spartiate

was a ship of the
Diadem
-
class

of
protected cruiser
s. She was built at
Pembroke Dock
,
launched on
October 27
,
1898

but not completed until March

1903. The length was 462ft overall, beam
69 ft, and displacement 11,000 tons. Two shaft triple expansion engines produced 18,000 ihp, giving
20knots. The complement was 677.

The armament was
16 x 6in, 14 x 12pounder, 3 x 3pounder
guns, and 2 x 18in Torpedo tubes. The ships were regarded
as cut down versions of the large and expensive
Powerful

class
.

They were g
ood sea boats but were criticised for their
lack of a heavy calibre main armament, bulky unprotected
sides, low average speed and lack of manoeuvrability despite
being considered large ships when completed.


They were the
last British First class Protecte
d Cruisers, the Armoured
cruiser taking the large cruiser role in future.

HMS
Spartiate

later became a stokers' training ship in
1914

and was renamed
Fisgard

in
June

1915
. She survived the
War and was sold in
July

1932
, returning to
Pembroke

to be broken up.

HMS HAMPSHIRE

(Ned Wells 20 August 1907 to 8 January 1909)

HMS
Hampshire

was

a large and very powerful
first
-
class armoured cruiser of the
Devonshire
-
class
,

constructed at the Chatham Dockyard
between 1902
-

1904
and commissioned in 1905 at a cost of
around £900,000.

10,850
tons displacement,
length 473ft 6in
,
beam 68ft 6in and draught 24 feet.
The
propulsion was t
wo
-
shaft, four cylinder engi
ne

giving
22 knots. She could carry 1,950 tons of coal

and the
full
s
hip's complement

was
655 men.

Armament
: Four 7.5 inch guns, six 6
-
inch
guns, two 12 pounders, 18 3
-

pounders and
two 18
-

inch torpedo tubes. Hampshire was
heavily armoured with her
main belt ranging
from 2 to 6 inches, her bulkheads 5 inches,
her turrets 5 inches, her barbettes 6 inches,
her ammunition tubes 3 inches, her casemate
guns 2 to 6 inches and her decks 3/4 to 2
inches of armour plating.

In her time the HMS
Hampshire

had an

eventful 11 years.
She
served with the
Channel Fleet in the 1st Cruiser Squadron
until given a refit at Portsmouth in December
1908. She was then recommissioned into the
Home Fleet, 3rd Division August 1909 and
then transferred to the 6th Cruiser Squadron

in the Mediterranean Fleet in December 1911.
HMS
Hampshire

was then moved to China until the beginning of
W
orld
W
ar
I
. At the end of 1914 she
joined the Grand Fleet and, in January 1915, became part of the 7th Cruiser Squadron.
She travelled to
the
Mediterranean and Far East. She was involved in the hunt for the SMS Emden that was attacking
Allied shipping at the start of the war and she took part in the battle of Jutland in 1916
.

Immediately after
the battle she was directed to carry Lord Kitchener
from Scapa Flow on a diplomatic mission to Russia.
Sailing for Archangel in a gale she struck a mine at around 19:40 on June 5, 1916 off Mainland, Orkney
between Brough of Birsay and Marwick Head. The ship sank very rapidly. Kitchener, his staff and most o
f
the crew perished; only twelve men survived. The mine is believed to have been one of those laid by the
submarine U
-
75 on May 23.

The wreck was declared a war grave. She lies in around 65 metres of water
at 59°7'2N and 3°23'46E.