Chapter 1 Review
The test is scheduled for Monday October 2
Review the concept
on page 30
. In addition, below are some possible test
What government agency oversees the clinical testing process for new
Answer: Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
2. Which of the following is an example of a product easily found in nature?
Correct Answer: Antibiotic
3. Which of the following is an application of agricultural biotechnology?
Correct Answer: Transgenic crops
4. As soon as a potential product is identified, what is the next step in process
Correct Answer: Research and development of techniques to produce the product
5. Most biotechnology research and development laboratory positions require
ect Answer: a 4
year Bachelor's degree.
6. DNA fingerprinting is a method used by forensic scientists to
Correct Answer: identify a person based on their unique DNA code.
7. Where do scientists at government university laboratories get a majority of thei
Correct Answer: Grants from industry, foundations, or the government
8. During which step of the Scientific Method would a scientist conduct multiple
Correct Answer: Experimentation
9. How are E. coli cells tricked into producing
products from human DNA?
Correct Answer: Human genes are pasted into plasmids and the bacteria take in the
10. How can large amounts of enzyme be obtained if there isn't sufficient source
Correct Answer: The gene encoding
that enzyme can be cloned into another organism
to produce the enzyme.
11. A science journalist who writes about advancements made in nanotechnology
would be reporting on what biotechnology domain?
Correct Answer: Diagnostic biotechnology
12. Which of th
e following is considered a non
science position that can be filled by
someone with or without an extensive scientific degree?
Correct Answer: Regulatory affairs
13. Which of the following products most likely have the smallest market?
Correct Answer: Clo
ne of a valuable orchid
14. The product pipeline for pharmaceutical products is generally
Correct Answer: longer because of clinical trials testing.