All minutes from the 2010 meetings - Moreland City Council

arrogantpreviousInternet και Εφαρμογές Web

2 Φεβ 2013 (πριν από 4 χρόνια και 6 μήνες)

131 εμφανίσεις

oxYgen Project


Youth Facilities and Services Steering Committee


Minutes from the 2010 Meetings


22 April 2010


18 May 2010


17 June 2010


20 July 2010


19 August 2010


21 September 2010


11 November 2010


8 December 2010



MINUTES OF YOUTH FACILITIES AND SERVICES

OXYGEN PROJECT STEERING COMMITTEE

HELD ON THURSDAY 22 APRIL 2010


The meeting commenced at 6.40pm.



CHAIR:

Cr Alice Pryor.


PRESENT:

David Murikumthara, Jasmine Ouaida, Michael Samoun, Marissa Butera, Anthony
Cianflone, Antonio Youssef, Rana Erdal, Raquel Martins, Thomas Cavuto, Khalid
C
hakli, Andrea Bozic, Zuhre Memet, Sarah Alihos.


Perkins Architects: Ian Perkins and Rosie Spasevska.



APOLOGIES:

Joanne Massoud, Ruby Haynes, Anthony Simioni.


OFFICERS:

Unit Manager Youth Services
-

Nuray Jarkan

Youth Project and Planning Coordinator


D
amien Woodcock

Youth Participation Officer


Simon Vella

Youth Project Administrator


Jessica Wraight


WELCOME AND BUSINESS ARISING:

Damien Woodcock informed that all the actions from the last meeting were complete.


VICE
-
CHAIR ELECTIONS:

Simon Vella ann
ounced that Sarah Alihos, Khalid Chakli and Joanne Massoud had
been nominated for Vice
-
Chairs and Deputy Vice
-
Chair. Each nominee introduced
themselves and explained why they would make a good leader in the project.

The committee undertook a silent vote. C
r Alice Pryor then announced that Joanne
and Khalid would take the Vice
-

Chair positions and Sarah would take the deputy
Vice
-
Chair position for 2010.


PROJECT MANAGER UPDATE:

Damien explained that the project draft report is still being worked on by Counc
il
staff. He also passed around 2009’s financial transactions and informed everyone
that the project’s budget is on track. A timeline for proposed key deliverables was
also handed out for the next three months.


Damien explained that Perkins Architects wou
ld present ten draft ideas that
originated from 2009’s community consultation. He reminded everyone that these
ideas are just to give a visual understanding and once particular options are decided
on they will be researched and developed further.

Cr Pryor
suggested that the layout for the project’s finance expenditure is reformatted
to be more easily read.


Action: Damien Woodcock to reformat finance expenditure chart.


PERKINS ARCHITECT’S PRESENTATION:


Rosie Spasevska presented the top ten draft options

for youth spaces and buildings.


1.

Harmony Park


Additional Seating and Shelter

The architects looked at places where people congregated to position the seating
and shelter that appeared like natural mounds with artificial turf for more informal
gathering
places. The design of the shelter would work to frame the view of specific
areas of the park, for both parents watching their children in the playground and
people watching the skaters in the skate park.

Cr Pryor raised the probability of people sitting on

top of the shelter framework.
Andrea Bozic expressed the likelihood of groups of young people sitting up the top.
Ian Perkins said that they would adhere to roof building requirements.

Andrea suggested a clear constraint of some form to stop people fallin
g off the top of
the framework.

Tom asked whether the additional seating would go over the existing the concrete as
it might break up people's skating paths. Rosie said that they could push the seating
back.

Anthony Cianflone asked whether the seating woul
d double as a skate
-
able surface
and the architects responded that this would be possible.


2.

Harmony Park


Outdoor Cinema

A proposed cinema that fits into the stage area would work in terms of power
availability and being next to a natural slope that provi
des tiers for seating. As the
park is used for sport and activities, permanent seating would not work. Fake lawn
could be put on the stage to further seating space.

Anthony Cianflone enquired whether the committee was aware that Council wants to
put a syn
thetic soccer pitch. Cr Pryor confirmed that it wouldn't be in the same place
and raised that one problem is that the space is limited to only four events a year due
to residential complaints. Rosie suggested that they could look at sounding
constrains and

reminded the committee that it is a suggested mobile screen/activity.

Anthony Cianflone suggested the Coburg Lake area as an alternative venue. Rosie
responded that it might be too close to the drive in cinema. Nuray Jarkan suggested
that young people mig
ht be different audience. Ian informed that they would need to
consider power as generator noise can be too loud for movie


3.

CB Smith Reserve
-

Wireless internet seating area.


“Wi
-
Fi” signage becomes seating/shelter/play area and a 3Dimensional experience.

Damien asked how big the Wi
-
Fi scope would be. Ian responded that the normal
scope is 20 meters.

Khalid Chakli enquired about the cost. Cr Pryor responded that this is a question that
is currently being worked through at the libraries where the IT departm
ent is figuring
out how to get this working without people expecting Council to assist them with their
computer issues.

Ian raised the issue of download costs and how to police it, he raised that Geelong’s
‘plug and play’ feature at the skate park had to b
e put on hold until they created a
policy due to music with offensive language being played. Alice suggested that
Council's internet provider Optus can help put in download constraints.

Zahra Memet asked what the benefit was of having internet in the park
and whether
oxYgen should be encouraging activity. Anthony Cianflone reminded that free internet
zones rated highly at last year’s youth summit. Cr Pryor suggested that as pilot
project it can be used to see whether the activity is worthwhile.


4.

West Stree
t shops


seating and shelter.

Rent car park spaces (angle parking) and define space with plants and crates with
the idea of create a new interactive space. The space can be moved as needed.

Anthony said that the area is too busy to take up car spaces on a

Saturday morning

Tom suggested that the great number of elderly people who shop there might not like
it. Rosie explained that the idea is that the space is flexible and it can work with
where the people are.


5.

Post Office Place


Shipping Container

Located

near the station this can be shifted and applied depending on the use.
Starting with the shell of the container different parts can be changed to create a
different use for the space. For example, counseling space or art space. Crates can
be used to chang
e space, use and entry points with more land around

installation art,
competitions for art. Parts can be packed up over night or mesh can go over walls of
plants.

Damien asked how the boxes could be powered. Ian responded that it depends on
the sight


lea
ds, generator or possibly solar


but you can to be able to use the
same shell for whichever use the box takes.

Cr Pryor suggested that the containers could run a project that makes enough money
to cover staff and running costs

Michael Samoun asked whether

it would be disability accessible. Rosie suggested
that ramp elements could be included and that the chosen location would also
determine accessibility.

Anthony Cianflone asked how the counseling idea would work. Nuray replied that
Headspace and other ser
vices in the area may wish to use the space to advertise
their presence in the community.

Andrea suggested possibilities for a small business like a snack bar.


Mid term


6.

Brunswick park
-

Parkour Intervention

The space currently has a spine along the cent
re that people walk through then
pockets of space where people dwell. Monkey bars/rails would provide parkour
training that could light up at night. Structure would read 'oxygen' from a distance but
up close would work as separate activity parts. Free stru
cture that is similar to
installation art where you can interact with the space.

Andrea suggested that lot of young kids would climb on it and it would need soft turf
underneath.

Cr Pryor raised the idea of parkour being about using existing natural landsc
ape.

Rosie responded that the design could be seen as a structured training space.


7.

Shore Reserve


Seating and Shelter

The northern area seems the most appropriate with row of trees and BBQ nearby.

Seats are made from timber inserted into steel structures

that appear as though they
have been folded down. Also, an idea to create soft mounds on grass to contrast
sharp design of seating that is nice to sit on and very informal.


Long term


8.

CB Smith Reserve
-

Skate Park

Suggested additions for a skate park th
at is already being planned
-

going by what
Geelong’s skate park has lacked


additional seating and observing points,
pedestrian paths along the perimeter and soft grass for playing mound. This will also
include an internet zone.

Alice announced that Cou
ncil has just been successful in receiving the go ahead with
the skate park.


9.

Unknown site


Youth Facility

Option A


an industrial/warehouse area. Facility would include: activity rooms, youth
services, internet space, kitchen area, staff kitchen area, c
onsulting rooms, a function
room, a large multipurpose space (for basketball, rock climbing, arts stage etc) and
storage rooms. The design will need to consider car parking and land acquirement.
An underground car park could also double as performance spac
e.

Ian suggested that it would be an idea to have an exterior that differs from its
surrounds and evokes interest, such as bikes on display out the front, a climbing wall
out the front and seating that pulls out of the exterior.

He also suggested that the
entrance has a clear point of reference that’s welcoming
and orientating. The upstairs space view back down into below grounds. The
estimated space needed to fit all the components in would be 1825.1 square meters.

Anthony Cianflone suggested that instead
of the back hall being used for just sports
activities the call out for amusement or laser skirmish activities that came out of the
consultation should be taken into consideration.

Tom raised the issue that there are not enough places for bands to rehearse

in the
area.

Cr Pryor suggest that the space be used for casual use as less structured
spaces/activities are more appealing to young people


Option B


A Park setting.

Instead of taking parkland away, bring it up over the building, using the same
componen
ts as Option A. The large window for the large space could have
graphics/lettering.


Cr Pryor suggested that the Coburg Initiative will eventually provide more transport
infrastructure in that area.


STAKEHOLDER FORUM:

Damien proposed that young people fac
ilitate community forum

and also assist with
the presentation of the report for greater ownership of the project.


Simon asked members of the Committee to consider whether they want to be part of
a report working group which will meet once a week for the n
ext few weeks.


Action: Simon to propose date for first working group meeting via email.


OTHER BUSINESS:

Michael announced that he will be moving interstate and proposed that he stay on
the committee and stay in touch via the internet. The Committee agre
ed.

Cr Pryor announced that she will be on maternity leave for the next few months.


Next Meeting:

Tuesday 18 May 2010.

The meeting concluded at 9.00pm


Cr. Alice Pryor

Chair Youth Facilities and Services Steering Committee.




MINUTES OF YOUTH FACILITIES

AND SERVICES STEERING COMMITTEE

HELD

TUESDAY 18 MAY 2010



The meeting commenced at 6.45pm

PRESENT:

Joanne Massoud (Chair), Sarah Alihos, Anthony Cianflone, Michael Samoun, Andrea
Bozic, Racquel Martins.

APOLOGIES:

Cr Alice Pryor, Manager Youth and Leisur
e


Tony Oulton, David Murikumthara,
Jasmine Ouaida, Marissa Butera, Antonio Youssef, Rana Erdal, Thomas Cavuto,
Khalid Chakli, Zuhre Memet, Ruby Haynes, Anthony Simioni.


OFFICERS:

Manager Youth Services


Nuray Jarkan

Youth Planning and Project Coordinat
or


Damien Woodcock

Youth Participation Officer


Simon Vella


WELCOME AND INTRODUCTIONS:

Joanne Massoud as Vice Chair opened the meeting and welcomed members.


PROJECT UPDATE:

Damien updated members on the progress of the oxYgen project report and
expla
ined that the report will essentially comprise four separate volumes: Volume 1:
Improving Service Delivery and Coordination; Volume 2: Community Engagement
and Consultation Findings; Volume 3: Youth Space Options; and Volume 4: Key
Finding and Recommendati
ons. It is proposed that the Draft Report will be presented
at the July Council Meeting.

Damien reported that he had the opportunity to complete the simplified version of the
finance report and would do so by the next committee meeting. Capital works budge
t
bids for 2010/2011 comprised a request for $200K for youth facilities projects; $50K
for container project in Glenroy area; and $100K for skate project at CB Smith
Reserve Fawkner (to match $60K funding from State Government
-

recently
announced) The Budg
et has not been finalised


awaiting Council adoption shortly.

Action: Damien to revise the finance report and present at next committee
meeting.


YOUTH MEETING SPACE


CONDITIONS OF USE POLICY:

Simon presented the Youth Meeting Space
-

Conditions of Use
-

policy to members.
An induction of the policy and premises will follow.


FEEDBACK ON CONCEPT OPTIONS


(MEDIUM AND LONG TERM):

Simon facilitated a session with members to ascertain feedback regarding the 10
concept options

presented by Perkins Architects. At the session the group provided
feedback on the short term options but did not get to complete. Time was spent at
the meeting to discuss the medium and long term options and members provided
feedback on each.

Action: Da
mien to forward group feedback to Perkins Architects.


COVER DESIGN FOR THE OXYGEN REPORT:

Simon presented two concept options for the cover design


Option 1 included the
use of the oxYgen brand (and various versions for each volume) and Option 2
included

images of local young people. The members preferred option 1 for the cover


as it would help to raise the profile of the oxYgen brand and ensure consistent use
and identity of the project. Members suggested that the images of local young people
would be
better used in the actual report to break up the text.

Action: Simon to fine tune option 1 for each of the volumes.


COMMUNITY FEEDBACK ON OXYGEN REPORT:

The members discussed a range of options that could be used to engage the
community (including young p
eople, service providers, and community) and get their
feedback on the report.

Suggestions included: article in the paper, launching the report, notice in City News,
copy of the report and a summary made available on Councils website and through
e
-

newsle
tter, presentations to school groups and existing networks, a morning tea at
the youth meeting space etc.

Members agreed that ideas could be brainstormed through a working group and this
could be opened to other young people as a way to raise awareness amo
ngst the
community.

Action: Simon to arrange a brainstorming session for this purpose.


OTHER BUSINESS:

Interest from community groups to use the youth meeting space:

Simon explained that there has been a request from a mothers group and a disability
group

to use the meeting space. The committee members felt that the space should
be utilised more and were in favour of considering broader community use. The need
for a set of guidelines and terms and conditions regarding use would need to be
developed to enab
le this to occur. Members agreed that groups that cater to the
needs and interests of young people should be prioritised.

It was proposed that the two current requests for casual use be for an interim period
only


(3 months
-

before 4pm only) until such
time that the guidelines for community
use be developed.

Action: Simon to advise and investigate the development of guidelines.

Michael’s Farewell:

Michael confirmed his move to Tasmania in a couple of weeks and explained that he
really enjoyed being part

of the committee and would like to maintain involvement via
phone/email.

Joanne thanked Michael for his commitment and contribution on behalf of the
committee and wished him well.

The meeting closed at 8.35pm.

Joanne Massoud

Vice Chair Youth Facilities an
d Services Steering Committee.





MINUTES OF YOUTH FACILITIES AND SERVICES

OXYGEN PROJECT STEERING COMMITTEE

HELD ON THURSDAY 17 JUNE 2010


The meeting commenced at 6.30pm.



CHAIR:

Khaled Chakli (Vice
-
chair).


PRESENT:

David Murikumthara, Marissa Buter
a, Antonio Youssef, Rana Erdal, Andrea Bozic,
Thomas Cavuto, Raquel Martins, Zuhre Mehmet.



APOLOGIES:

Cr Alice Pryor, Nuray Jarkan, Anthony Cianflone, Jasmine Ouaida, Anthony Simioni,
Sarah Alihos, Joanne Massoud, Michael Samoun, Ruby Haynes.


OFFICERS:

Youth Project and Planning Coordinator


Damien Woodcock

Youth Participation Officer


Simon Vella

Youth Project Administrator


Jessica Wraight



WELCOME AND BUSINESS ARISING:

Khaled Chakli opened the meeting and announced that Cr Alice Pryor had given bi
rth
to a boy, Charlie.


PROJECT MANAGER UPDATE:

Damien announced that Cr Enver Erdogan will be filling in as the oxYgen Committee
Chair while Cr Alice Pryor is away on maternity leave.

Damien updated the committee that Youth Services staff working to compl
ete the
four volumes. Currently, staff are interviewing key agencies to confirm emerging
themes that came out of the consultation. The volumes will be presented at the next
committee meeting.

Perkins Architects have taken the committee’s feedback into acc
ount and redrafted
the concept ideas.

It has come to Youth Services attention that the old Coburg Police Station and Court
House may become a possible site for a youth centre development. Officers will
monitor the possibilities if they arise accordingly.


Damien proposed to the committee the idea that at each committee meeting a guest
speaker comes in to update the committee on relevant topics regarding young people
in M
o
reland. It would be a good ideas to invite relevant speakers

The updated budget repor
t was handed out to the committee, showing the
breakdown of funding and expenditure to date. Damien explained that the 2010/2011
capital works budget is awaiting final approval. Damien will advise the committee
when confirmed.


Action: Damien to send commi
ttee update of concept ideas.


BRUNSWICK MEMBER UPDATE:

Simon announced that advertising has gone out to schools and the community
regarding the opening for a Brunswick Committee member. There has been some
interest but it would be good if committee member
s could spread the word within
their own networks.


YOUTH SPACE CONDITIONS OF USE:

The committee were presented with the conditions of use for oxYgen members and
any other youth community groups using the space. Concerns were raised as to
whether letting o
ther community groups use the room might interfere with the
oxYgen’s committee’s use of the room but it was assured that the space would only
be available for hire during the day
-
time.

It was decided that the committee would take the conditions of use home

to consider
and raise any concerns they had at the next committee meeting.


Action: Simon to email committee the conditions of use.


SOCIAL NIGHT:

Simon proposed an end
-
of
-
exams social night. The committee decided they would
like to have a movie, pizza a
nd popcorn night. Khaled will bring
Avatar
. A date was
set for Thursday 1
st

July, 6
-
10pm.


Next Meeting: Tuesday 20 July, 6.30


7.30, Youth Meeting Space.


Meeting Closed: 7.30pm.






Khaled Chakli

Vice
-
Chair Youth Facilities and Services Steering Commi
ttee.





MINUTES OF YOUTH FACILITIES AND SERVICES

STEERING COMMITTEE
-

OXYGEN PROJECT

HELD ON TUSDAY 20 JULY 2010



The meeting commenced at 6.45pm.



CHAIR:

Khaled Chakli (Vice
-
chair).


PRESENT:

Andrea Bozic, Anthony Cianflone, Khaled Chakli, Rana Erda
l, Thomas Cavuto, Zuhre
Mehmet


APOLOGIES:

Cr Alice Pryor (maternity leave), Cr Enver Erdogan, Jasmine Ouaida, Anthony
Simioni, Sarah Alihos, Joanne Massoud, Ruby Haynes, David Murikumthara,
Marissa Butera, Antonio Youssef, Raquel Martins.


OFFICERS:

Unit
Manager Youth Services


Nuray Jarkan

Youth Project and Planning Coordinator


Damien Woodcock

Youth Participation Officer


Simon Vella



WELCOME AND BUSINESS ARISING:

Khaled Chakli opened the meeting by welcoming everyone.


PROJECT MANAGER UPDATE:

Damien

announced that Jessica Wraight has left the organisation since the last
committee meeting advising that Jessica has taken up other work in the community.
Jessica’s contribution to the project was acknowledged by all. Jessica will be missed
by the committe
e.

Damien stated that over the last month the youth services team has been focusing
mainly on finalising the oxYgen project report which has taken up considerable time
as available resources within the team have been reduced.


Finance:


The only expenditu
re this financial year has been on catering. Council’s financial
reporting systems are generally one month behind so a record of actual transactions
will be presented at the next committee meeting.


Action: Damien to update budget status at next meeting.


Damien advised on the formal adoption of the 2010/2011 Council Budget which
allocated $100,000 of Council funds and $60,000 of State Government funds,
towards the CB Smith Skate Park Project. An additional $50,000 to support the
Mobile Shipping Container
Project. Damien explained that the initial bid for $200,000
in the proposed budget for stage two of the oxYgen Project, as reported at the last
meeting, had been reduced to $25,000. Damien explained that this was not
necessarily a bad outcome as the oxYgen

project is yet to clearly identify the
requirements of stage two.

Khaled expressed concern regarding the amount allocated to the skate park project
and pointed out that the oxYgen project had costed the skate park project at
$250,000 and questioned wheth
er allocation would enable the successful completion
of the project.

The committee expressed disappointment that the Council budget only allocated a
very small percentage of money to specific youth projects. Damien advised that the
skate park may be done i
n stages and the good news was that it’s actually going
ahead. The committee discussed that staging the skate park project was not a good
idea as it may not get finished or likely to cost even more as it will require the
contactors to come back and finish
it and possibly double up on labour required.

Anthony stated that there is no harm in asking for more funds to complete the skate
park project this year. Khaled moved a motion to request Council Officers to prepare
and present a brief to the Moreland Execu
tive Group (MEG) to consider allocating
the CB Smith Skate Park Project an addition $90,000. The motion was seconded by
Zuhre and carried unanimously.


Motion:
“The Youth Facilities and Services Steering Committee welcomes any funds
which directly benefi
t young people in the Moreland Community. Acknowledging the
proportional percentage of funds allocated in the 2010/2011 capital program. We
request that Council consider allocating an additional $90,000 in much needed funds
to complete the CB Smith Skate P
ark Project.”


BRUNSWICK MEMBER UPDATE:

Simon announced that advertising has gone out to schools and the community
regarding the opening for a young person from the Brunswick area to join the
YFASSC as resolved by Council. At the end of the closing date,

one young person
had expressed interest. After presenting the application, the committee voted to
accept Ms Iman Taleb as the Brunswick Member.


Action: Ms Taleb to be invited to formally to join the YFASSC.


DRAFT REPORT


Damien explained that over the

last month the Youth Services has been working
hard on finalising the 3 volumes that would inform the oxYgen draft report, due to be
presented to Council Meeting in August Meeting, for approval to release to the
community. Broader community feedback will

be sought before the YFASSC prepare
final recommendations for Council consideration.

Nuray and Damien provided an overview of each volume to the committee. Highlights
included: key issues and wants of young people in Moreland and what the youth
service s
ector said about what was needed and ways to improve services. An
invitation to all members was made to join the Youth Services team to workshop
recommendations and actions on Wednesday 21 July.


Action: Detailed copies of the draft report to be sent to co
mmittee for further
comment.


COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT FORUM

Andrea presented a PowerPoint presentation to the committee on how the oxYgen
draft report may be presented to the community for feedback and some possible
ideas to ensure everybody is included. The

presentation included delivering one
major forum and a series of smaller direct contact activities within local schools and
across existing youth networks. Andrea also provided some detailed pros and cons
for each engagement opportunity.

Khaled requested
that the presentation be sent to the committee to review for further
comment.


Action: Simon to email copy of Andrea’s presentation and notes in the weekly
email update to YFASSC members.


Simon suggested that due to short timeframes the committee would n
eed to discuss
how they would like to get this information to the community. The committee agreed
to re
-
establish the community engagement working group and further consider
Andreas options.


Action: Simon to invite the committee to a working group to cons
ider these
options.


SITE SELECTION

Damien advised that Anthony had emailed him during the week and suggested that
the old Bunning’s Site at Gaffney Street Coburg might be ideal to house a standalone
co
-
located youth facility, and that the site was large
enough to meet the special
requirements as identified in the oxYgen project


Youth Spaces: Concepts and
Estimation Paper.

Damien discussed the concept of a formal Site Selection Analyses process to
determine the most appropriate available space and state
d that a brief would be
developed and likely to include three options; (1) the identification of available land;
(2) the possible renovation and redevelopment of an existing building and (3) the
possibility of leasing a space or building. Nuray requested t
hat the committee
continue to consider possible options and locations for a future youth facility that can
be considered as part of the site selection analyses process and suggested that
members could become involved in the site identification process.


Action: Damien to complete a Site Selection Analysis Brief


OTHER BUS
INESS

High Schools for Coburg

Anthony presented a letter he received from Cate Hall addressed to the Chair of the
YFASSC requesting support for the High Schools for Coburg action group.
After
initial discussion, the committee deferred the request for support to the next YFASSC
to enable people to become more aware of all the facts related to the request.


Action: Simon to email letter in the weekly email update to YFASSC members.


Libra
ry Web Launch

Nuray informed the committee that she had received an email from the Libraries
requesting support from the Committee to be part of its Brunswick web launch. The
library would like to have young people attend the launch and use their mobiles,
laptops to log in.

Khaled advised the committee that he was already attending the launch and would
represent the oxYgen project along with any other members of the committee who
were able to attend.


Action: Simon to email information in the weekly email
update to YFASSC
members.


Next Meeting: Thursday 19 August 2010, 6.30


8.30, Youth Meeting Space.


Meeting Closed: 9.00pm.






Khaled Chakli

Vice
-
Chair Youth Facilities and Services Steering Committee.







MINUTES OF YOUTH FACILITIES AND SERVICES ST
EERING COMMITTEE

HELD

Thursday 19 August 2010



The meeting commenced at 6.40pm

PRESENT:

Joanne Massoud (Chair), Sarah Alihos, Andrea Bozic, Thomas Cavuto, Zuhre
Memet, Iman Taleb.

APOLOGIES:

Cr Alice Pryor, Anthony Cianflone, David Murikumthara, Jasmine O
uaida, Marissa
Butera, Antonio Youssef, Rana Erdal, Khalid Chakli, Ruby Haynes, Anthony Simioni,
Raquel Martins, Nuray Jarkan.

OFFICERS:

Youth Project and Planning Coordinator


Damien Woodcock

Youth Participation Officer


Simon Vella


WELCOME AND INTROD
UCTIONS:

Joanne Massoud as Vice Chair opened the meeting at 6.40pm and welcomed new
member Iman Taleb to the committee.


PROJECT MANAGER UPDATE:

Damien advised the committee that the oxYgen project report was considered by
Council at its meeting held 11 A
ugust with a positive outcome.

Nine committee members, after a pre celebratory dinner at Brunswick Town Hall
which was attended by;

Andrea Bozic, Thomas Cavuto, Iman Taleb, Anthony
Cianflone, Jasmine Ouaida, Antonio Youssef, Rana Erdal, Khalid Chakli and R
aquel
Martins attended the following Council meeting at the Glenroy Citizens Centre to
support the oxYgen project report and display a visual presence in the gallery.

Damien advised that some minor changes were made to the recommendations by
Council. This

included option six, (seating in West street Glenroy utilising vacant car
spaces) being removed from consideration and the $50,000 allocated in the
2010/2011 capital budget for option 5, (the development of a portable shipping
container) would now be dive
rted and utilised to support option 9, skate park
development at CB Smith Fawkner. The container project would be considered for
next year’s capital program along with the remainder of the options contained within
the oxYgen report.

6:50pm Simon Vella left

the meeting to collect bus.

Damien further advised that the Council budget system was yet to ‘go live’ but
reported that current expenditure was approximately $2,000 predominately for
catering, cleaning and phone / internet on costs for the Youth Meeting
Space.

Damien presented and discussed the oxYgen report with committee members and
commented page by page about the specific content. It was advised that it was
critical that everybody understood the content and if there was any uncertainty that
Damien wo
uld be happy to explain in more detail if required. Members indicated that
they felt confident with the content and would seek explanations if required.

Damien also briefly discussed the site selection analysis process which was due to
proceed within the
coming weeks.

Action: Damien to respond to any qu
e
r
i
es in relation to the report.


TERMS OF REFERENCE (T.O.R)

Damien advised the committee that an article had recently been published in relation
to the oxYgen project in the Moreland Leader newspaper. He ad
vised that the article
was not detrimental, but it reflected the view of the entire committee without the
consensus or knowledge of the entire committee which is inconsistent with the
committees Terms of Reference. Damien advised that Council Officers took

responsibility for not making clear the conditions with the T.O.R and specifically the
media clause for new members.

Joanne read out the T.O.R and specifically the media clause to the committee so
there was no misunderstand and everybody was now aware of
the clause, stating
that
“the clause is in their to ensure that all committee members have a chance to
reflect their view and a consensus is reached prior to talking to the media, this way its
fair that everybody gets a say.”



COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT

7
.10pm Simon Vella returned to the meeting

Joanne advised the committee that actions would need to be taken to promote and
receive feedback on the draft oxYgen report. Simon explained that there were four
basic target audiences that the committee should foc
us on to ensure board
representation of views, this included; (1) Young People, (2) Service providers, (3)
General community and (4) Council staff. Simon further advised that the report and
response template has been uploaded to Council’s webpage, an ad ha
s been placed
in the City News section of the Moreland Leader inviting responses, notification will
be placed in the e
-
project newsletter and emailed to existing industry networks.
Describing these actions a minimal coverage and that the committee now had
to
determine further engagement opportunities.

Zuhre advised the committee that she thought that schools were the best place to
receive feedback from young people. Sarah commented that if young people had to
do it as part of a school project that you’re mo
re likely to get serious responses,
suggesting maybe the school captains or others interested people to attend sessions
and provide feedback. This was the popular view of all committee members. Tom,
Iman and Andrea commented that they were prepared to deli
ver a presentation at
their respective schools: Penola, Brunswick High and Coburg Senior High School
with the support of Simon. The committee also requested that an invitation and
encouragement of other committee members not in attendance be contact to del
iver
similar presentation into their schools.

Action: Simon to advice in weekly update for members to present in schools.

The committee discussed that the same presentation explaining the report needed to
be delivered to all the schools. Joanne advised th
at she would put together a
PowerPoint presentation that everybody could use after Damien emailed her the
Council PowerPoint template.

Action: Damien to email Joanne PowerPoint template.

Discussions were also held in relation to engaging Council Officers

and service
providers. It was decide that a branch presentation be delivered to both officers and
service providers at the Youth Meeting Spaces. This would enable committee
members to deliver a presentation and would also be a great way to raise the profi
le
of the project and invite local media to attend. The committee requested Simon to
convene a working group to discuss and plan details with the best day and time
being Thursday’s commencing at 3.30
-
4.00pm.

Action: Simon to convene community engagement wo
rking group

General community responses to the report were discussed and it was identified that
it would be difficult to gain a response from somebody who didn’t understand the
content of the report. Sarah advised that the Coburg Initiative project set up

stalls in
the local library and it was quite effective if done properly. The initial suggestions
were that stalls may be set up at local leisure centres or other high traffic areas, but
details would be discussed at the community engagement working group.


Simon further advised that there was an upcoming North West Working with Youth
network meeting on 7 September and that this would be another great opportunity for
committee members to present the report findings.

Action: Simon to seek expressions of int
erest for committee members
available to attend and present at the NWWWY network on 7 September 2010.


YOUTH MEETING SPACE


CONDITIONS OF USE POLICY:

Simon advised that the Youth Meeting Space


Conditions of Use Policy has still not
been finalised by the

committee. Joanne made clear that the policy was to be
disseminated to all committee members one more time and that the final adoption of
the policy would be ratified at the next meeting to finalise it.

Simon advised that he had not received any further i
nformation about the women’s
group or disability group that had expressed interest in using the space. However he
had another approach from a local women’s program called Lady Fingers which
teaches young multicultural women how to DJ and mix music. The com
mittee
expressed concern that this may cause to much noise and upset local residents.
Zuhre further commented that if the groups wanted to store their DJ equipment at the
space that this may also have security and insurance implications for the committee
t
o consider. The committee requested that Simon and Damien meet with the group
and have them respond to some of their initial concerns and report back to the
committee at the next meeting.

Action: Simon and Damien to meet with Lady Fingers


HIGH SCHOOLS FO
R COBURG SUPPORT LETTER

The chair advised given the lateness of the meeting that this issue would be deferred
to the next committee meeting for discussion.


OTHER BUSINESS:

Damien suggested that the committee consider purchasing a fridge for the meeting
s
pace. The committee agreed that a small fridge was needed and should be
purchased.

Action: Simon to purchase fridge for Youth Meeting Space

Meeting closed at 8.40pm


Joanne Massoud

Vice Chair Youth Facilities and Services Steering Committee.





MINUTES O
F YOUTH FACILITIES AND SERVICES

STEERING COMMITTEE

HELD ON THURSDAY 21 SEPTEMBER 2010


The meeting commenced at 6.45pm.



CHAIR:

Cr Alice Pryor (Chair).


PRESENT:

Antonio Youssef, David Murikumthara, Joanne Massoud, Marissa Butera, Ruby
Haynes, Thomas Ca
vuto


APOLOGIES:

Jasmine Ouaida, Anthony Simioni, Sarah Alihos, Raquel Martins. Andrea Bozic,
Anthony Cianflone, Khaled Chakli, Rana Erdal, Zuhre Mehmet


OFFICERS:

Unit Manager Youth Services


Nuray Jarkan

Youth Project and Planning Coordinator


Damien W
oodcock

Youth Participation Officer


Simon Vella



WELCOME AND BUSINESS ARISING:

Cr Pryor opened the meeting by welcoming everyone and re
-
introducing herself to
the committee. Nuray welcomed Cr Pryor back to the Youth Facilities and Services
Steering Comm
ittee and congratulated her on the birth of her first child, Charlie.


PROJECT MANAGER UPDATE:

Actions from last meeting:

Damien informed the committee that a bar fridge has been purchased for the Youth
Meeting Space at a cost of $299.00. The fridge will
be installed in the near future.

Working Group up
-
date on the Community Consultation Process would occur later in
the meeting.


Damien advised that he has met with Lady Fingers in relation to utilising the Youth
Meeting Space as requested by the Committee
. Lady Fingers teaches young
multicultural women how to DJ and mix music. They have experienced some
difficulties in locating a space to rehearse from. Damien discussed the committee
concerns around noise, security and insurance issues with the manager fo
r Lady
Fingers (Jacinta). Jacinta informed Damien that the volume could be easily controlled
and would not provide an issue, as they would agree to the limitation placed by the
committee. Currently their equipment consisted of a few small items that could
be
stored easily. However, they did not have insurance for their equipment. Damien
advised that Lady Fingers would not be able to pay for rental of the building but
would be happy to provide a service at events and forums
-

free of charge
-

in lieu of
ren
t, provided sufficient notice was given.

Damien suggested that the group should become incorporated and obtain insurance
for their equipment. Cr Pryor further recommended Public Liability insurance as a
minimum requirement. The Committee suggested that Da
mien have a further
conversation with Jacinta in relation to utilising the space


with the recommendation
that Lady Fingers consider becoming incorporated, find suitable insurance, and be
willing to work around the committee’s timeframes


i.e. not after
4pm on a Tuesday
or Thursday afternoon. The Committee also requested Damien to discuss the
possibility of Lady Fingers providing their services free of charge for our events, in
lieu of rent.

Joanne suggested that an electronic card access system be consid
ered for the Youth
Meeting Space as this would assist in identifying access for groups in the future. The
initial concern for setting up this process would be cost, however Damien agreed to
look into it and report back to the committee.


Action: Damien to

meet with Lady Fingers and discuss the options as listed
above.


Damien to establish the cost of setting up a card access security
system at the Youth Meeting Space


General Up
-
Date:

Damien stated that the Draft oxYgen Report has been released to the comm
unity for
comment. So far, request for comment has been advertised in the local paper, placed
on Council’s website, released via email to networks, and a display has been set up
at the Council Civic Centre with a number of other public displays planned. Al
l
feedback so far has been extremely positive and encouraging. Damien stated that all
comments would need to received by 5 November 2010, with the intention to finalise
the report for the December Council meeting.

Damien and Nuray advised that they have me
t with The Coburg Initiative (TCI) staff
to discuss the options of a youth facility and the site selection process. Currently all
possibilities are being considered and TCI are very supportive of the site selection
analysis process. Damien and Nuray will m
eet with Council’s Property Services
Branch to discuss the site selection process and seek their input and support. Cr
Pryor reported that she had supported the idea of a Youth Facility as part of The
Coburg Initiative and that it be pursued within the fir
st five years.


Finance:

Damien advised that current expenditure for this financial year is $1,900.00. The
existing annual budget is $38,000.00, with further $25,000.00 set aside from Capital
Works Budget to be used for the site selection process. Cr Pryo
r asked whether
there was any major expenditure items earmarked. Damien advised that with the
deferral of the Shipping Container project, that new ideas and possibilities are now
available, to expend the funds and will be seeking the committee’s input on t
he best
way to spend the remaining $36,000.00 in this financial year. Cr Pryor asked if it was
possible for any of the project options listed in the report to be brought forward to
early next year. Damien suggested that this was possible if that was the di
rection the
committee wanted to take.


COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT FORUM

North West Workers with Youth Network Presentation

Nuray reported that Khaled and Raquel had done an excellent job presenting at the
NWWWY Network on 7 September 2010. The report had been
well received and
feedback was positive.


School Presentation

Simon reported that 4 committee members (Rana, Tom, Andrea and Iman) have
spoken with their schools about holding a working shop / forum with students to gain
feedback on the oxYgen Report. All

schools have responded positively to the request
and it is likely that these consultations will occur in term 4.


Community Forum

Tom informed the Committee that the working group met on a few occasions to
consider the best ways to conduct community consu
ltation. The forum would consist
of a presentation by a young person(s) and small group discussions. The idea is that
the small group discussions would be facilitated by committee members with the
support of youth services staff. It is expected that around

60 people would attend this
forum.

The working group believes that the Youth Meeting Space, whilst good for publicity
proposes, would lack the space required for this type of event. As a result a
suggestion to use the Concert Hall at Coburg Civic Centre w
as also discussed. The
original suggestion was 26 October 2010. Some committee members raised
concerns with the tentative date

via email, indicating that they are not available on
this date and would like to see if a change is possible. The committee sugge
sted that
a range of dates be discussed and sent out for comment. The committee was
concerned that if the event was held on a Friday, that numbers could be low, as
people often work part
-
time and are not always available Fridays. Therefore, it was
agreed t
hat a weekday should be given priority. Simon advised that dates would also
need to consider facility availability.


Action: Simon to assess the availability of the Concert Halls and send dates to
committee members for comment.


Simon suggested that due
to short timeframes the committee would need to discuss
how they would like to get this information to the community. The committee agreed
to re
-
establish the community engagement working group and further consider
Andreas options.


Action: Simon to invite

the committee members to a working group to consider
these options.


HIGH SCHOOLS OF COBURG
(Support Letter)

It was decided to hold this discussion over to the next meeting.


CB SMITH SKATE PARK PROJECT

Cr Pryor informed the committee that the CB Smith
Reserve Skate Park development
had been presented to Council in September. Initial concerns were raised about its
location by some Councillors. However the main consideration was that Council
wanted the skate Park to compliment the area and to ensure Counc
il got it right. Cr
Pryor reported that the report was approved unchanged and a call for tenders will go
ahead shortly. Nuray reported that the Open Space Branch is keen to work with
young people in the development of the skate park project.


OTHER BU
SINE
SS

Social Night

Simon suggested that a social event be arranged, following completion of school
exams and preferably once the oxYgen report is submitted to Council. The
suggestion from the group was for the social evening to occur between 17 and 26
Novembe
r 2010. Simon agreed to organise a night out for the committee.


Action: Simon to arrange social event.


Next Meeting: Thursday 19 October 2010, 6.30


8.30, Youth Meeting Space.


Meeting Closed: 8.15pm.






Cr Alice Pryor

Chair Youth Facilities and Serv
ices Steering Committee.






MINUTES OF YOUTH FACILITIES AND SERVICES

OXYGEN PROJECT STEERING COMMITTEE

HELD ON THURSDAY 11 November 2010


The meeting commenced at 6.30pm.



CHAIR:

Cr Alice Pryor (Chair).


PRESENT:

Cr Alice Pryor, Andrea Bozic, Anthony
Cianflone, Iman Taleb, Khaled Chakli, Raquel
Martins, Thomas Cavuto & Zuhre Mehmet,



APOLOGIES:

Antonio Youssef, David Murikumthara, Jasmine Ouaida, Joanne Massoud, Marissa
Butera, Nuray Jarkan, Rana Erdal, Ruby Haynes & Sarah Alihos,


OFFICERS:

Youth P
roject and Planning Coordinator


Damien Woodcock

Youth Participation Officer


Simon Vella



WELCOME AND BUSINESS ARISING:

Cr Alice Pryor opened the meeting and thanked everybody for their attendance.


APOLOGIES

Simon formally submitted apologies of comm
ittee members who could not attend
tonight’s’ meeting. Due to exam period it was difficult for a number of people to make
the meeting.


PROJECT MANAGER UPDA
TE:

Purpose of special meeting

Damien explained that tonight’s meeting had been called with the exp
ress purpose of
prioritising the draft report recommendations. This meeting would finalise the format
in which the options would be presented to Council and the order in which the
committee would like to see them achieved.


Site Selection Process Update

D
amien explained that the site selection proposal has been approved by MEG
(Moreland Executive Group). This meant that the site selection process for the
standalone Youth Facility could proceed. A process and new timeline is currently
been put together for
this project.


Submission Responses

Damien advised that all submission received have been collated to provide the
committee members with guidance as to their preferences in the decision making
process. Damien further acknowledged that a submission received
, which was
developed by Anthony Cianflone, warranted recognition given the length and detail it
contained. The Committee acknowledged and thanked Anthony for his time and
effort in preparing his submission. Damien explained that he believed that 9 out of

the 10 recommendations presented in Anthony’s submission where covered in the
report recommendations. However consideration should be directed towards
recommendation 10, which sought to enshrine the oxYgen project committee into the
future of youth servic
es with legitimate and active participation from young people
through this committee.

Damien advised that it was implied that the oxYgen project would continue to form
part of Councils youth strategy; however it was not expressed and therefore
warranted a
discussion by the committee members as to its inclusion.


CONFIRMATION OF REPO
RT RECOMMENDATION:

Damien provided an overview of the submissions submitted in relation to the draft
oxYgen report. Copies of this information have been forward to the committe
e for
your feedback.

Cr Pryor read through the recommendations to ensure all committee members were
happy with the wording that would be presented to Council. Cr Pryor suggested that
a change should be made to the word strategic planner, as this could rel
ate to
anyone in Council.

The committee agreed that the first recommendation under Planning and
Partnerships should be re
-
worded slightly to make it clear that the strategic planner
was youth focused. Anthony also suggested that the word oxYgen be include
d in the
title.


Action:

Damien to re
-
word the title of the strategic planning role and make more
‘youth specific’.


The committee also suggested that recommendation 4 under Service Delivery be
considered in more detail, particular in relation to the Teen
age Holiday Program
being outsources. Cr Pryor suggested that Damien have a discussion with
Recreation and Leisure to ensure that the Teenage Holiday Program can be included
in the single service specification currently being considered by Council and if s
o,
what is the likelihood that this may be achieved next year, and noted that perhaps
2012 were more realistic.


Action:

Damien to discuss with Tony Oulton


Suggestions were also made the under Delivery / Timeframe in the report that dates
(years


i.e. 20
11) be included rather than Year 1, 2 or 3. This would assist in
providing a deadline for when recommendations need to be achieved by.


Action:

Damien to change the delivery time frame to calendar years.


Further discussions were had pertaining to recomme
ndation one under Facility
Development. It was discussed that this recommendation was too broad and not
specific enough. Therefore it was agreed that it be completely rewritten to reflect a
real commitment to building a standalone youth facility by 2012, a
s the commitment
to build already exists as stated in the Council Plan KSO 17


which states that
“three youth facilities will be developed by 2012”
.”


Action:

Damien to redraft recommendation one under Facility Development to make
it more specific.


The
committee also noted that the report should make clear that option two: the
outdoor movie screen is in fact ‘mobile’ and does not necessarily have to be erected
at the Brunswick Park Precinct.


Action:

Damien to amend the oxYgen report to emphasis the mob
ility of the movie
screen.



CONFIRMATION OF ALLO
CATION OF SURPLUS MO
NIES:

Cr Pryor reminded the committee that we have $20,000.00 in surplus which must be
spent before the end of the financial year. This money was provided by Office for
Youth and could no
t be carried over. Anthony stated that he would like it noted that
he would like to see this money put towards a youth facility. However, while this was
not possible, he understood the need to place this money towards other projects.


It was noted at the p
revious committee meeting that an in principal agreement was
reached in relation to the surplus monies. 15k to be allocated to immediately
commencing one of the short term projects and the remaining 5k is split between
first
-
aid training and some recreatio
nal activities for disadvantaged young people.


First aid training

The committee agreed that the first aid project should be seriously considered.


Recreational activities

There was some debate about the best way to spend the money on activities and
how
to engage disadvantaged young people into these programs. The committee
would like to see the money used for at
-
risk / disadvantaged young people to provide
an opportunity to engage in society and provide skills for employment.


The suggestion was made th
at Simon should develop a proposal on how to spend
this money and submitted it at the next meeting.


Action:

Simon to prepare a detailed proposal for the possible expenditure for first
-
aid
training and recreational activities for young people.


Commence s
hort term project

Members of the oxYgen Committee discussed and voted on which short term options
they would like to spend the remaining $15,000.00 on. Voting for this project was
transparent and included written submissions received earlier in the week.

A
fter considered deliberation, the committee agreed that they would focus on Options
Three


Wireless Internet Zone at Harmony Park.

Cr Pryor suggested that a conversation be held with National Broadband Network
(NBN) to see if they can support the project
. Khaled reminded the committee that the
NBN were currently trailing its project in Brunswick. While the NBN might not be able
to support the project at Harmony Park Coburg, there might be other possible
options. Cr Pryor agreed to follow this up with NBN
and advise accordingly.


Action:
Cr Pryor

to discuss the possibility of the NBN supporting the wireless
Internet Project and advice accordingly.


CONFIRMATION OF PRIO
RITY PROJECTS ORDER:

Cr Pryor lead a discussion in relation to the priority order in whic
h the committee
would like to present the options to Council and see them achieved. The debates
around these issues were vigorous. However, the committee decided on the
following priority order.


1.

Standalone Youth Facility

2.

CB Smith Skate Park

3.

Wireless Inter
net Zone at Harmony park

4.

Transportable Shipping Container

5.

Wireless Internet Zone at CB Smith Reserve

6.

Parkour Course

7.

Outdoor Movie Screen

8.

Shelter and Seating at Shore Reserve

9.

Shelter and Seating at Harmony Park


Action:
Damien to include these recommendatio
ns into the report submitted to
Council.


OTHER BUSINESS:


Abandon regular meeting 18 November 2010

A decision was made not to hold a meeting on 18 November (next week), but to meet
on Wednesday 8 December 2010, prior to the Council meeting. The next comm
ittee
meeting will meet at Brunswick Town Hall at 5:30pm.


Action:

Simon to send reminder in the weekly email update and arrange
transportation for members who require it.


Coburg 2010 Submission

Cr Pryor suggested that the committee should place a submi
ssion into the Coburg
Initiative


“The Colours of Coburg”


which closes on 22 November 2010. The
committee agreed that Damien / Simon should look at developing a submission that
includes:

1.

The inclusion of a youth facility in the Coburg initiative

2.

That sp
aces and places need to be youth friendly and

3.

Consideration need to be give to young people recreation (including open
spaces) needs.


A copy of the submission will be forwarded to the committee for comment before it is
submitted.


Action:
Damien and Sim
on to draft a submission to the Coburg Initiative and submit
it on behalf of the committee.



Next Meeting: Wednesday 8 December 2010, 5.30


8.30, Brunswick Town Hall.


Meeting Closed: 8.30pm.






Cr Alice Pryor

Chair Youth Facilities and Services Steer
ing Committee.





MINUTES OF YOUTH FACILITIES AND SERVICES

OXYGEN PROJECT STEERING COMMITTEE

HELD ON WEDNESDAY 8 DECEMBER 2010



The meeting commenced at 6.00pm.



CHAIR:

Khaled Chakli (Chair).


PRESENT:

Anthony Cianflone, Anthony Simioni, Antonio Youss
ef, Jasmine Ouaida, Khaled
Chakli, Iman Taleb, Rana Erdal, Raquel Martins, & Zuhre Mehmet,



APOLOGIES:

David Murikumthara, Joanne Massoud, Marissa Butera, Nuray Jarkan, Ruby Haynes
Sarah Alihos, Cr Alice Pryor, Andrea Bozic, & Thomas Cavuto


OFFICERS:

U
nit Manager Youth Services


Nuray Jarkan

Youth Project and Planning Coordinator


Damien Woodcock

Youth Participation Officer


Simon Vella

Manger Youth and Leisure


Tony Oulton



WELCOME AND BUSINESS ARISING:

Mr Chakli opened the meeting and thanked ev
erybody for their attendance.


APOLOGIES

Simon formally submitted apologies of committee members who could not attend
tonight’s meeting.


PROJECT MANAGER UPDA
TE:

Purpose of special meeting

Due to Damien Woodcock being on leave, Simon Vella assumed the res
ponsibilities
of the Project Manager update and explained that tonight’s meeting had been called
to support Council adoption of the final draft of the oxYgen Report to be submitted to
Council 7pm tonight.


Finance

Item to be discussed in more detail at th
e next committee meeting when Damien
returns from leave. Simon explained that not much has changed since the last
finance report.


CB Smith Skate Park Development

Simon informed that the contract for the development of CB Smith Skate Park in
Fawkner has b
een awarded to Convic. Convic has been one of the major developers
of skate parks and activity areas for young people in Victoria. This includes the
Gaffney Street Skate Park Coburg and the Geelong Activity Area.

To assist in the development of this projec
t and to ensure young people have a say
the first series of consultation meetings will commence as of next week. Details are
as follows:


Consultation Meeting

CB Smith Reserve

(Near the synthetic soccer pitch)

Jukes Road, Fawkner

Wednesday 15 December 2010

4:00pm


The committee expressed their interest in attending this meeting and showed their
support.

Anthony Cianflone asked whether the residence around CB Smith Reserve have
been informed of the planned stake park and requested that a letter be sent to a
ll
nearby residents informing them of the development. Simon reported that the project
was currently being managed by the Open Space Unit; however he would ask Open
Space to consider this as part of their advertising process.


Wireless Internet Zone


Harm
ony Park

Simon reported that the Youth Services Department has discussed the opportunity to
establish a Wireless Internet Zone at Harmony Park with various departments at
Council. These departments included


Open Space, IT Unit and the Libraries.

The mee
ting was positively received by all departments. Currently the IT Department
is looking into the cost, type of service, and hardware that the project would need.
Open Space Unit will provide information about the site to support the development
and cost co
nsiderations for this project.

Another meeting has been scheduled for after Christmas to discuss further and gain
initial information and costs associated to implement the project.


Site Selection Process Update

Simon reported that the Site Selection tend
er (Site Selection and Partnership Report)
is ready for our finance department to develop into a Request for Tender. Simon
explained that the contract would include a number of elements for the consultant to
consider, including:



Face
-
to
-
face interviews



Pre
liminary site investigation and selection



Development of a Site Selection Framework in order to determine the most
appropriate location and land development category (ie, buy, lease, refurbish)



Stakeholder forum



Media campaign



Benchmarking against other co
-
located services and


It was hoped that the RFT would be advertised before the end of the week, with
closing date 2 December 2010 and subsequent appointment in early 2011. Simon
reported that the contract would likely cost around $80,000.00.

Anthony Cian
flone raised a concern in relation to the use of consultants, as he
considered the cost to be too significant and stated a preference for a Council
position to undertake this work, citing value in keeping the knowledge ‘in
-
house’ and
that integral knowledg
e gained from the process would not be lost. Anthony also
wondered why other departments in Council could not support Youth Services in the
development and research. Anthony stated that he could not support the
engagement of a consultant for this project.

Simon agreed with the principle of keeping the project in house, but stated that
Council was not in a position to take on additional staff. In addition the process to
gain approval for an additional staff member was extensive and would likely take
some ti
me which could result in a loss of momentum for the project. The skills
involved in this style of research would require the expertise of specialist staff to
undertake specific components of the project. Simon also explained that other
departments in Counc
il already have significant workloads and therefore adding this
to the workload of an existing staff member could run the risk of not being given high
priority.

Nuray Jarkan and Tony Oulton entered the meeting at this point and reinforced
similar issues fo
r consideration.

The YFASSC requested time without Council Staff to discuss their position. The
committee was provided with this time.

After re
-
entering the meeting and noting that the Council meeting was due to
commence the committee decided to call an u
rgent meeting of all members for the
following day at 5:30pm to discuss these matters in more detail.


Council Meeting


Oxygen Report

Members of the YFASSC attended the Council Meeting at the Brunswick Town Hall
where the oxYgen Report was presented for f
ormal adoption. The report received
high praise from a number of Councillors and a request from Cr Pryor to undertake
the recommendations in the report within the next 3 years.

The oxYgen report and resolutions contained within the accompanying Council
Rep
ort DSD 70 (D10/233015) was unanimously adopted by Council.


Next Meeting: Thursday 9 December 2010, 5.30


6.30, Brunswick Town Hall.


Meeting Closed: 7.15pm.






Khaled Chakli

Vice Chair Youth Facilities and Services Steering Committee
.